Home > Forum > Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

• scotteryx
  • [scotteryx]
More
04 Feb 2011 12:35 #197446 by scotteryx
Replied by scotteryx on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

In honor of Monika the top podium at Vertfest should be left blank.

Such a f'in awesome idea!
I second that one. With 2 girls in my house, I'll make sure to bring a stuffed animal, and a few extras just in case someone needs one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2011 12:38 #197447 by zenom
Replied by zenom on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
This is sad. I didn't know her, but I know she was inspiring to many. Best wishes for her friends and family.

I pulled the photo below from this memorable Trip Report she authored:
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...dex.php?topic=4791.0
Attachments:

• The Snow Troopers
  • [SnowTroopers]
More
04 Feb 2011 12:57 #197448 by The Snow Troopers
Replied by The Snow Troopers on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Holly and I are deeply saddened by this news.  Her spirit was so positive and inspirational.  Our thoughts go out to her family.  We love the pictures honoring her life.  Keep them coming.

Very disturbed by this tragic event, and still hope for a miracle like Marcus.

What ever the outcome all of you guys and gals are awesome and I agree w/ Scotteryx 100%!!!
"empty podium and off to the toy store"

More
04 Feb 2011 13:14 #197449 by gorp
Replied by gorp on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
like many, i don't know her but have crossed paths with her in the mountains. you can instantly tell the special type of person she is. i am inspired by the way she has affected so many others' lives.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Feb 2011 13:17 #197450 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
That picture Zenom posted is priceless pure joy.

More
04 Feb 2011 13:22 #197451 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Like many of you my reaction to Monika’s plight affected me more profoundly than I ever expected it to. I know others that were similarly affected. I went through tons of skiing pics last night as I’m sure many others did, looking for more ways to honor and show our appreciation for the positive impact she has had on us all. Doug O’Donnell reminded us that we had a video done by Jerry that was a fun showcase of Monika’s infectious enthusiasm. Jerry White is really good with a video camera and quite the creative editor. He was our regular team videographer when he had more time in his life for skiing than he does now.
Monika sometimes joined us on tours, especially when the plans were to yoyo somewhere so she could get her appropriate level of exercise instead of being bored with a geezerly traveling pace :)  
Back in the summer of 2005 on a trip that Monika joined us, Jerry put together a video which featured Monika’s huge capacity for uphill vertical along with friends having fun in the mountains. We yo-yoed a slope where I think the MadDog and I got 3 laps; the young “mountain hardmen” got 5 or six laps in and Monika got 10 :)  
During one upclimb Monika blew by us like we were backing up and then a couple of the young guys passed us slowly, while discussing Monika’s uphill climbing prowess. One was saying “I can almost stay up with her but when I do I’m breathing so hard that I can’t talk; and she’s chatting like a magpie the whole time… it’s embarrassing when I don’t have enough breath to answer her”. :)
I think Jerry succeeded in bringing out Monika’s spirit and joy for being with friends in the mountains in his video he called DidYaSeeThat .
Footage of Monika starts at 0:10 sec, 1:02 min, 1:35, 2:14, 3:10, 3:37, 3:55 and 4:11. I’m hoping Jerry will forgive me for posting it without his permission – it just shows so much of what Monika is about. More of Jerry’s talented work is posted HERE .  
Thanks, Jerry.

More
04 Feb 2011 14:06 #197452 by mark747
Replied by mark747 on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Even though I never met Monica I feel a loss after reading all the stories of what an incredible human being she is.

My thoughts are with all of her many friends and her family.

• telemark vinny
  • [telemark vinny]
More
04 Feb 2011 14:15 - 04 Feb 2011 15:25 #197453 by telemark vinny
Replied by telemark vinny on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

mount st helens this may, with fellow mountain rescuers.
i cannot believe this. so very sorry to hear the news.

What a fitting picture with Monika in the lead : )
That was a wonderful day and I shall pause whenever I hear a cowbell in the future with a thoughtful moment to her.

I didn't know her as well as I would have liked but she was a thoughtful inspiration and always fun to be out with. It is no wonder she was such an appreciated part of our community.

Thanks to SMR, EMRU, TMR and BARK for doing what we could yesterday,
Namaste to Monika and her friends,
Kevin

More
04 Feb 2011 14:50 #197454 by jpark42
Replied by jpark42 on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Sad news indeed.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Feb 2011 14:55 #197455 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Posted for Telemark Vinny:
Attachments:

• Telemonkey
  • [Telemonkey]
More
04 Feb 2011 15:01 #197456 by Telemonkey
Replied by Telemonkey on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I only had the fortune of meeting her once or twice, but through the words and thoughts of others, and the great disturbance in the energy that flows through all of us who love the mountains, I'm saddened another bright light has been extinguished in this world.

Peace to her friends and family, and I hope she's enjoying the endless powder runs she's undoubtedly on now.

• Tony_Bentley
  • [crackbolter]
More
04 Feb 2011 15:05 #197457 by Tony_Bentley
Replied by Tony_Bentley on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
My thoughts go out to friends and family. She was simply amazing.

More
04 Feb 2011 15:06 #197458 by ~Link~
Replied by ~Link~ on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
To a safe recovery.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
04 Feb 2011 15:10 #197459 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Holly and I are deeply saddened by this news.  Her spirit was so positive and inspirational.  Our thoughts go out to her family.  We love the pictures honoring her life.  Keep them coming.

Powder Kitty would make a fine stand in on the top podium.

Rogers Pass. Heading back up to the Asulkin Hut after the last run of the day. (In the dark of course).
Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2011 15:16 #197460 by Letunia
Replied by Letunia on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
There’s a profound sadness in my core as I read this thread …even though I never met her, Monika was certainly one of those rare individuals who lived, loved and loved living with unbridled joy. She touched lives in ways she didn’t even know.

My thoughts and prayers for her friends and family…

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Feb 2011 15:17 - 04 Feb 2011 19:24 #197461 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Thanks all, for the memorable photos.  In my sadness, I wanted to hear her words too:

it's so hard to lose a loved one suddenly without being able to say good bye.

We can get away with a fair amount luck sometimes in our choices.  I not only don't want to die doing what I love, I don't want to have a list of 1/2 a dozen serious injuries...

it is especially unsettling someone who was relatively conservative in this activity and with so much experience was involved in such a tragedy.

And more to the point:

In reply to Randonee's post about skiing with his daughter: "I started out the same at 5 with my red mini skis down the hill in the front yard.  It's about being outside in the beautifully snowy mountains, you don't have to be one of the guys (whatever that may or may not mean), just out there your own way."

About skiing on the banks of the Mississippi in Minnesota: "funny, that's right where I grew up.  made trips all winter by bike to that Columbia golf course for classic and skating and sliding since I was little."

October 29, 2005 Muir report:
"We've come here to call for a season of snow.
We have wishes and hopes, Let's do it, here we go!

Don't treat our spells like wishes so trite.
Make our season soft, fluffy and white

May the deepening snows not go to our head
Ensure that health stays, to continuously SHRED

Though stressors and craziness will all feel Bezerk-
We shall catch the POW days, and not have to work!

So with the wave of this wand and the sound of this CRY (you'd have to have been there)
Make the cold skies open up and let the snow FLY!!"

One man's trash is another woman's treasure?

Original plan was to get to Muir and maybe ski Nisqually Chute,... All climbers I passed as they came down about conditions and said this about the snowfield: 50mph+ winds, blue ice in spots, not soft etc etc.

Monika's story of the same day: "The wind was strong enough to blow you over above pan point and just above there we saw everyone else turning around.  I kept my ski crampons on to avoid getting blown and flown. But it was still sunny and warm and the wind helped (tail wind) nearly as much as it hindered.  About 800' higher it was much improved.  The Chute was smooth and punchy but not icy. big head wind skiing the middle of the chute. Skied the softer more east facing side.  The glacier down to the bridge was dreamy and no wind.  Caught a ride in 2 seconds."

And about Vertfest at Alpental:   Nice to see more women than I expected.   The connotations of "Rec" and "Race" i think deter folks from doing the 2 lap "race" category.  I like to think of it more as the "Long" and the "Short" Course.  If you're up there already, might as well do the 2 different laps to check things out.  and you get a longer work-out which isn't bad  :)

May 28, 2005 Spider Gap (posted by another Monika): "Monika's stellar attitude was as pleasant as the sunshine"

When we are skinning and sliding in the future, working hard on the uphill, seeing the sun sparkle on the snow, or riding down perfect powder, her spirit will be smiling with us.  And in our encounters with others, hopefully it will inspire us to be as cheerful, encouraging, and friendly as she.  

While we grieve our loss, yuki girl, thanks for giving us hugs.

• rnbfish
  • [rnbfish]
More
04 Feb 2011 17:54 #197464 by rnbfish
Replied by rnbfish on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
thank you Silas
some how reading words once spoken helps a lot

More
04 Feb 2011 18:08 #197465 by Pandora
Replied by Pandora on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Hang in there beautiful. We'll find you. I love you. We all love you. We'll find you......

I was holding it together until I read that. I didn't know Monika well but my heart breaks for those who did.
Attachments:

• sukiakiumo
  • [sukiakiumo]
More
04 Feb 2011 18:09 #197466 by sukiakiumo
Replied by sukiakiumo on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
From numbers of stories from backcountry friends of hers and others on this forum I can tell it would have been a pleasure to know her. Condolences to friends and family.

• stoudema
  • [stoudema]
More
04 Feb 2011 18:33 - 04 Feb 2011 18:56 #197467 by stoudema
Replied by stoudema on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I never had the pleasure of meeting Monica, only reading her trip reports and interacting with her through this site.  This is very sad news and my thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
04 Feb 2011 18:39 #197468 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Just read in my journal from June 2006:

We flashed the 2 mile hike in, but were passed by a group heading out on the Watson traverse..."

Guess who?

Thank you, Ron, for reminding me.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
04 Feb 2011 18:51 #197469 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
To an athlete dying young... Godspeed, Monika. Condolences to all who are hurting.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Feb 2011 19:05 #197470 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Waking up early at Paradise to get turns before the glacier travel class kicked off for the day, I got a solitary foggy lap or two near Alta Vista before making turns back to the waking group. A few minutes later, a smiling Monika skied down after her fourth or fifth lap, all of which were taller, steeper, and more fun. Happily humbling.

Can't believe she might be gone. I can only imagine how those closer to her must feel. Warm thoughts for everyone who's hurting.

More
04 Feb 2011 19:23 #197471 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Met Monika once a few years back at a sort of 'family/friends of' reunion down here in Oregon.  She suggested  this web site after I was bragging about skiing the Emmons on big R..HA...foot in mouth....  My cousins told me she had unreal stamina and that nobody could really keep her pace (and chat..).  Saved myself a lot of embarrassment by not joining up for a Mt. Hood "jaunt" skiing Leuthold C..  

Her reports were fun and inspiring to read (amazing how much she did just because it was fun and good exercise).  Prayers to her, her family,  loved ones and friends....

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
04 Feb 2011 20:06 #197472 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I have always considered myself fortunate for the days I got to ski with her (especially the two I got to do over the years just with her alone) and to know her. I can't put into words the sadness and emptiness I've felt since hearing Wednesday - and although Monika and I would say if asked that we were friends, so many of you know her much better than I. I can, however, celebrate who she is by sharing the impact she had on me: I have always wondered whether I was more impressed by her superhuman chargeability or by the humility, generosity and grace with which she conducted herself in spite of being physically superior to everyone else (in a damn fit crowd). Powder Kitty belongs on the podium or maybe permanently on the logo.

More
04 Feb 2011 20:27 #197473 by mfaoro
Replied by mfaoro on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I only skied with Monika once. It was with RonJ and the crew out past Edith Creek Basin. Maybe 2005.

Even though I only spent a few hours around her she made quite an impression: A couple weeks ago I described her to a friend. I used her as an example of one of the strongest women I had ever met.

My condolences to her family and to her many friends. This thread is a testament to a life well lived.

More
04 Feb 2011 20:56 #197474 by swalsh
Replied by swalsh on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Just read in my journal from June 2006:

We flashed the 2 mile hike in, but were passed by a group heading out on the Watson traverse..."
Guess who?

That was Oyvind, Joe and Tim with Monika that day coming out the Watson Traverse, with me bringing up the rear - Monika stayed the night to do Shuksan the next day!  W.T. was my introduction to Monika which was suitably awe inspiring as were the half dozen other times I was privilged to accompany her touring with friends.  My luck to be with her again last Sunday on our Mt. Ann tour and the drive up and back with Tobae and Khanh listening to all the girl talk ;-)
Thank you Monika, for your uptracks and hugs, your energy and beauty, you will always be in our hearts and in my heart.
Sean

Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2011 21:01 #197475 by gliding
Replied by gliding on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I haven't written anything in years.  This just flowed out after reading the posts.
It honors her courage to live and recreate in inhospitable places, and the joy that
she must have felt (as evidenced by the many stories and all of the pictures of her smiles) while she was there.

Where the Angels Are

Blinding white, crystal bright
the snow that calls from high.

The tug, like gravity upside-down,
pulls us towards the sky.

'Till the sky we meet and the track does end,
and we stop to look and see.

And we are thankful for this magnificent adventure,
and we feel the joy to be.

While we're there, we know full-well this place
can bite and take it all,

For dust is dust and snow does fly to
search a place to fall.

So, if it bites, and if we fall,
we'll cast a wish upon our brethren star,

that we don't forget the choice to live by
being up so far...

And that we've allready tread, so thankfully,
near where all the angels are.

More
04 Feb 2011 21:33 #197477 by Eric_N
Replied by Eric_N on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Though solely reading about her on TAY; as for so many, she will always be an inspiration.

My heart goes out to her family and friends.

• squirrel99
  • [squirrel99]
More
04 Feb 2011 22:05 #197480 by squirrel99
Replied by squirrel99 on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I didn't know Monika very well, but had the pleasure of bumping into her on a few occasions during my years in the Cascades.  You could tell by the amount of respect/rapport that she had earned from fellow skiers & climbers was paramount - and immediately knew she was someone special. I won't forget that radiant smile

Her spirit, determination and successes will continue to inspire and live on. 

Sending a big, heartfelt hug from the Tetons to family and friends

-Tim