Home > Forum > Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

More
08 Feb 2011 19:28 #197632 by Jupiter
Replied by Jupiter on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
Like so many others on here, I met Monika first through the glacier ski class as a student. As one of two women taking the class, Monika's warm smile and obvious competence were inspiring throughout the classroom and field sessions. Subsequent to that class, I realized Monika & I shared many friends- she touched the lives of so many. It is rare to encounter such a shining light in this world; colors and adventures don't seem as bright without her in it.

"I shall be ever richer for this sorrow." Wallace Stegner

Peace to you, Monika, and all whose lives she touched.

Kathleen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2011 19:35 #197634 by Steph M
Replied by Steph M on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

wondering if it would honor Monika’s memory if a few of us started thinking of it as “Monika’s Peak”

I think this is a very sweet tribute.  Also, one of Ryan's nicknames for Monika is "Red". 

It is a beautiful thing that "Monika's Peak" or "Red Mountain" both honor her.

• garyabrill
  • [garyabrill]
More
08 Feb 2011 20:09 #197638 by garyabrill
Replied by garyabrill on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
I had only met Monika once or twice but really knew of her through her amazing energy and enthusiasm for backcountry skiing as is evidenced on this website.

Her passing is a very sad event but from the posts here she has left an indelible mark on the lives of many and will not be soon forgotten.

Condolences to her family and many, many friends.

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
09 Feb 2011 00:14 #197643 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
There is more info about discovering Monika's skis and pack at the summit of Red Mountain on February 2, along with the following days' events, posted on Greg Louie's blog. Very interesting to read his firsthand account of such a shocking find:

www.randosaigai.com/incoming.html

He archives older posts, so the permanent link to those posts will eventually be at www.randosaigai.com/feb_11.html

I also wrote some additional thoughts of my own about Monika on Sunday, after she was found and brought out from the mountains. They are posted, along with some photos of Monika, in a reply to my trip report from the same day that her accident occurred:

February 1, 2011, Mt Rainier, More Muir Sunshine

More
09 Feb 2011 11:53 #197653 by PaulC
I first met Monika almost 10 years ago, and was immediately impressed with her unassuming but formidable strength, and that big smile. We subsequently did many trips together. It is deeply saddening to know there will never be another. I consider it a privilege to have known her. We will miss you, Monika.
Attachments:

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
09 Feb 2011 12:24 #197656 by cascadesfreak
Replied by cascadesfreak on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
Such a tough loss all around. I feel fortunate to have gotten to know Monika over the years, mostly through the Glacier Skiing/Crevasse Rescue courses. Her great enthusiasm and positive impressions on the ski community will not be forgotten. My deepest condolences to Ryan and to Monika's family.
--Chris

p.s. Carter- thanks for sharing the friends group photo from Kam and Allyson's wedding; I'd forgotten about that pic: another good example of Monika's great smile.

More
09 Feb 2011 14:55 #197662 by daveb
Friends of Monika,

In an effort to make a slide show/video in memory of Monika, Khahn and a few others are collecting photos of her for a memorial servie/celebration of her (date TBA). If you have a photo or two that you would like to share, please email it to Khahn at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If possible include an approximate date for the photo and location. If there are any others in the picture, include their names too.

We love you yukigirl,
Stephanie Brown (via daveb's account)

Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2011 07:51 #197687 by ron j
For those of you that may have been wondering...
Flintofts’ online Obit for Monika shows her memorial service to be scheduled for 7:00 pm on 2/17.
More details on the service and location are posted HERE .

More
10 Feb 2011 09:19 #197692 by jkc
I only had the pleasure of meeting Monika once. A few years ago I was heading up Hyak with no one else around. As I neared the top, I turned around to see someone barreling out of nowhere. By the time I reached the top, she had easily caught up with me. As I stood there winded from the climb, I met Monika, who was breathing normally, chattering away with a huge, wonderful grin on her face. I've never met someone with such an open, happy and amazing presence. One look at her and you knew how much she loved what she was doing. It's extremely difficult to grasp how this could happen to someone so strong, so talented, so happy and so loved by an entire community.

Monika, your spirit will forever live with us in the mountains.

More
10 Feb 2011 15:37 #197718 by jenn
I first want to thank the TAY community for sharing the love we all felt for Monika.   I can’t begin to express how much it has helped me with my grief and sense of loss.  Our family relocated to Santa Cruz CA last June and not being in Seattle this last week has been difficult.   

I was fortunate to meet Monika 7 years ago while taking the Mountaineers Crevasse Rescue and Glacier class.  I was new to Seattle and knew no one.  She took me under her wing and started showing me the ropes of mountaineering in the NW.  She became a part of our family and continued to grow with our growing family over the years.  She was not only an amazing athlete, but a very giving friend.

I wish I could say I skied with her but really she skied with me.  I remember talking with Jason on a ski at Paradise early in our friendship, and saying “man I try so hard to keep up and just can’t.”  Jason just laughed and said he had given up a long time ago.  She found time in between her big ski trips to putter around in the backcountry with me.  As the years passed, our family started growing and Monica still found time to help get me out and into the mountains.  She helped me to ski until I was 7 months pregnant with my first child.  She also helped me strap back on the skis for the first time after my daughter was born to get back out making turns. We took my daughter skiing together for her first ski when she was 5 months old. 

I am including some pictures to this post of us celebrating on top of Mt Rainier, Monika skiing the Slot Couloir and hiking Poo Poo point with my daughter Reve.

Monika: Girl we love you.  We will miss all of our adventures and your friendship.  We have had some of the most wonderful times in our lives with you.  The inspiration you have shared will live on in us and our children.

Ryan: Thank you for loving her and bringing some peace to our hearts.

- Jennifer, Jay, Reve, and Jack Maguire
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2011 17:38 #197721 by gregL
On top of Rainier, and soon to ski the Upper Nisqually and Fuhrer Finger . . .

• danhelmstadter
  • [danhelmstadter]
More
11 Feb 2011 10:43 - 11 Feb 2011 11:45 #197737 by danhelmstadter
Replied by danhelmstadter on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
I thought about Monika a lot while touring the last couple days, as well as of her close friends and family, positive vibes to you all. 

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
11 Feb 2011 21:01 #197769 by Jason_H.
Replied by Jason_H. on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
I was up at Bonanza Mtn over the weekend at the end of a 5 day trip there. In Holden Village during their breakfast prayer and speech, a woman gets up and says some words to everyone present at the microphone and reads a poem, "How to be a person." Of it all, she dedicates it (teary eyed) to her old neighbor, Monika Johnson!!! Amazing what ripples there are....

More
18 Feb 2011 08:53 - 18 Feb 2011 17:27 #197973 by ron j
Goodbye Monika.
We Love You.

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
25 Mar 2011 10:32 #199192 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
Miss you - especially today

Attachments:

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
03 Feb 2016 08:23 #225983 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
time flies, your memory is still here with us!

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
06 Feb 2016 11:40 #226033 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Monika Johnson missing near alpental....
Boy, you said it, Oyvind. 5 years. We can all use a little Monika. She sets me right even now.