Home > Forum > Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
04 Feb 2011 23:42 #197481 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I wish I knew her.
So sad. My thoughts go out to her family and her friends.
May there be endless powder and blue skies wherever she is now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sheispiste
  • [sheispiste]
More
05 Feb 2011 00:08 #197482 by sheispiste
Replied by sheispiste on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Like many of you my reaction to Monika’s plight affected me more profoundly than I ever expected it to.

Exactly, Ron. I only knew of Monika through many of my ski partners and friends. Reading their past posts or hers, and now this, made me aware of and deeply touched by her spirit, warmth, and serious kick-ass-ness. She was an inspiration to me. As a woman back country skier, she was admirable.

My heart aches for her family and friends and those involved in the search.

May the snow be light.
May her memory remain a blessing.

• John Morrow
  • [John_Morrow]
More
05 Feb 2011 07:03 #197483 by John Morrow
Replied by John Morrow on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I so wish I had but I never got the opportunity to meet Monika. I admired, and gained inspiration from, her great accomplishments simply through reading about them. I have consistently been in awe viewing the trips she (and those of you who skied so often with her) would take. Simply knowing the level of endurance, drive, focus, camaraderie, and desire those endeavors required has pushed me harder to see what I am capable of. And in that respect backcountry skiing is a metaphor for accepting other challenges in life. Without her even knowing it I believe she had this influence on many of us. In this way she was truly rare and special. I can't imagine the loss her family, and those of you close to her, must be feeling. My deepest thoughts and sympathies go out to you. Hopefully someday some comfort can be gained from appreciating a life so richly lived.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
05 Feb 2011 07:56 #197484 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Joseph Campbell has a saying. "Follow your bliss". That is, to find something that makes you happy and pursue it. To all of us who find our "bliss" in the mountain environment, people like Monika and Bob Wiebe will have forever left a trail for us to follow...

More
05 Feb 2011 08:07 - 05 Feb 2011 08:11 #197485 by EPeters
Replied by EPeters on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Thank you all.  Our family has been touched by the outpouring of love and grief for Monika.  Thank you for your support in the grief of her loss to us here on earth. Erik

Thank you all for your wonderful remembrances for Monika.
She never boasted of her achievements or abilities, but I know she
loved her backcountry experiences and her many friends associated with
them.  Kudos to you all and thanks for caring - "auntie" Ginger."
Attachments:

More
05 Feb 2011 08:14 #197486 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Monika was one of our senior (not old) instructors in the Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue class.  We saw her grow from student to a very competent and talented instructor.  She will be missed tremendously.  When the class begins again this year in April with our field trip in May her absence will be felt by all of us who have worked so closely with her over the years.  

Monika loved the mountains and also the simpler things in life.  Each year at the end of our Glacier class Darryl has an instructor appreciation pizza feed.  I always make "homemade" chocolate chip cookies for a treat.  Every year about 2 days prior to the pizza feed I would get this great e-mail from Monika.
"Dearest Jeanette, are you bringing your cookies to the meeting?
Love Monika"

My heart is heavy, I'll miss Monika.  My deepest sympathy to her family and many friends.

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
05 Feb 2011 09:27 #197488 by Splitter
Replied by Splitter on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I only knew Monika through trip reports on TAY where her passion, skill, and ready smile were obvious. Only now do I find there was so much more. Few, I'm sure could hope to match her strength and endurance, may the rest of us attempt to emulate her grace, humility, and kindness. Her life is truly a gift to us all.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Feb 2011 09:30 #197489 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
As I read about all the different people, with widely varied backgrounds and interests, who skied with Monika over the years, I begin to understand how much she bound our community together. Thank you Monika.

My thoughts go out to Erik and her family, and to Ryan and her close friends.

More
05 Feb 2011 09:36 #197490 by Kire
Replied by Kire on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I feel lucky to have met Monika, if only a couple of times. She’s the kind of person you like right away. Her warm smile and zest for life are simply unforgettable, not to mention her super human level of skiing ability, both skating and alpine. I’m holding out for a miracle and will definitely be sportin’ a stuffed animal in honor of such a beautiful person.

My love to her close family and friends.

More
05 Feb 2011 10:30 #197492 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Monica, thanks for all your never ending gifts.

More
05 Feb 2011 10:37 #197493 by RossMac
Replied by RossMac on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Yet another who only knew Monica through her posts, her photos, and her boundless enthusiasm for the sport and mountains that we love so much. Feeling the loss deeply and sending thoughts to her family and friends.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
05 Feb 2011 10:43 #197494 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Such a sweet person and a free spirit. Godspeed and safe return to those searching for her.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Feb 2011 10:48 #197495 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Unfortunately, I had only shared one small moment with Monika on the ridge that divides Silver and Crystal lakes basins. If memory serves me there was a group including Lowell, Cookiemonster, Joe? and about 3 others. I don't know if they were together or not.
I was struck by the diversity of the group.
I try to make of point of looking the person I'm meeting in the eyes. The eyes tell the soul of a person without framing their countenance. After introducing myself to Monika I was struck by the depth of her eyes. She made me work for it since she has a squint. With white cap and beads of sweat pearling off her brow, she greeted me with her patented smile. She appeared eager to keep moving as others rested.
I don't have many regrets in life, but now that I read that she was a great hugger my selfish regret is I did not get one of those awesome hugs!
A good reminder to always appreciate those who share like minded interests.

Much sympathy to Erik and your family and the ones closest to her. And positive thoughts go to the rescue crew for their safe return home.

More
05 Feb 2011 11:10 #197496 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Monika’s plight has triggered yet another epiphany for me.
As I recall, this community has come together due to similar tragedies a time or two in the past.
But I don’t ever recall the phenomenon that I’m seeing now as I scroll through the posts with continual eye leakage; there’s some sort of synergism going on here. The outpouring of compassion seems to be triggering great things in the community and its individuals.
A beautiful poem comes out of nowhere from a person that hasn’t written in years; people like John Morrow and Joe (just two of many) who never even met her or just had a brief encounter with her, are inspired to write deep, inspiring, caring and loving words and passages honoring her contributions; Silas is creatively inspired to dig out all her past posts and share the ones he finds most inspiring. Each and every post exudes love, caring and compassion.
My logical side says that’s just the way people are; they pull together in times of hardship.
But my feeling side says it’s more… this is a beautiful community of warm, caring and compassionate people. And Monika is a part of us and one of the major reasons we are what we are.
This is one of the fundamental reasons I find it an honor and a privilege to be associated with the folks that make up this community.
Charles did a great job setting up the foundation. Marcus is working harder than he ever intended or expected, to maintain the course despite massive growth and change.
I will do all I can to help preserve this very special part of TAY. Thank you all for being you.

• I-lean
  • [Eileen Howard]
More
05 Feb 2011 12:40 #197497 by I-lean
Replied by I-lean on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I also have never met Monika, but all I can tell you is I think of her when I go to bed at night and when I wake up in the morning. I can't explain it, it's just there. She has touched so many lives whether she was in contact with them or not. I have followed her adventures for years on this site, and truly admired her strength, endurance, and passion for the mountains. My heart goes out to all who knew her and loved her so much.

Eileen

• hedonaut
  • [hedonaut]
More
05 Feb 2011 13:28 #197498 by hedonaut
Replied by hedonaut on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
You all have said it all. I'll miss her but her spirit lives. Pics from our first trip together. As I recall, Kitty went into the pack (Monika's rare signal for fear) for the hairball section of the descent in background, then came out again later.
Attachments:

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Feb 2011 14:45 #197499 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
UPDATE: 2pm, Feb 5:

We just heard over the phone in the Alpental ski patrol room that a search team from Alpental patrol, assisted by some of her friends, has found Monika early this afternoon.

A recovery operation is now underway and is expected to last through the evening past midnight. King County Sheriff has an incident commander on scene. We spoke with him briefly, and he has initiated a callout to several search and rescue teams to assist in the recovery.

Thanks to everyone involved, and to everyone else offering support during this difficult time.

• cchapin
  • [cchapin]
More
05 Feb 2011 15:23 #197500 by cchapin
Replied by cchapin on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Radka and I both met Monika last year in Crevasse Rescue. Then we saw her TR from Mt St Helens soon after.

We're both saddened by this news and our deepest sympathies go out to all.

More
05 Feb 2011 16:39 #197501 by Snowolf
Replied by Snowolf on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Never met her, but from reading this thread, she sounded like a neat lady. I wish to offer my condolences to all. Always sad to hear about a fellow snow slider who is lost.

More
05 Feb 2011 17:10 #197502 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

UPDATE: 2pm, Feb 5:

Thanks for the update, Amar.
It is comforting to get direct info rather that try and decipher what the media sometimes produces in their haste to break the news first.

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
05 Feb 2011 17:42 #197504 by nordique
Replied by nordique on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
From the Seattle Times:

Originally published Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Body of missing skier found
The body of a skier missing since Tuesday has been found in the Red Mountain area about 50 miles east of Seattle.
By Seattle Times staff

The body of a skier missing since Tuesday has been found in the Red Mountain area about 50 miles east of Seattle. The 40-year-old woman, a backcountry skier, was found about 1 p.m. Saturday by a private alpine ski rescue group, according to King County Sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart. Search crews from three counties coordinated by King County Search and Rescue were pulled out Thursday because of high avalanche danger and have not returned, he said.

By law, the private group cannot remove the woman's body, Urquhart said. The Sheriff's Office will coordinate retrieval of the body, probably by helicopter Saturday or Sunday. It is about a four-hour hike from Snoqualmie Pass to the location where the body was ound.
Last week, friends of the woman were skiing in the same area, and recognized her pack and skis in the snow. Footsteps led to a cornice above a tall cliff; rescuers believe the cornice broke and she fell to her death.

More
05 Feb 2011 18:00 #197505 by Sea2mtn
Replied by Sea2mtn on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
You know when you meet someone and you can feel their true, genuine good heart? That's Monika. So humble though she's the most kick ass moutaineer & skier, kind & inspirational. My thoughts prayers go out to her family and close friends.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Feb 2011 18:12 #197506 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Thanks for the update, the family really appreciates you volunteers for putting yourself at stake to find Monika. Truly disappointing or melancholy feeling, but pleased you can bring her back to their family there are no words to describe the feelings you volunteers are experiencing to bring your friend back. I can't help but feel some anger that they do not allow you to bring her back immediatly and have to wait.
Once again Godspeed to you heroes!

• arcticcat2
  • [arcticcat2]
More
05 Feb 2011 20:26 - 05 Feb 2011 20:34 #197507 by arcticcat2
Replied by arcticcat2 on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
About 6 years ago My friend Kurt and I ran into her while ski touring and spent the rest of the day touring with her and she always left a great impression as a really kind and humble person who was also a amazing skier...

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
05 Feb 2011 21:03 #197508 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Despite having left Seattle several years ago I was gutted to hear the news. Sadly I met Monika only once, she was clearly a wonderful person. My heart goes out to all of those close to her.

• Mtraslin
  • [Mtraslin]
More
05 Feb 2011 22:02 #197509 by Mtraslin
Replied by Mtraslin on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I first met her at the rando races at Alpental and she always seem to be sharing the podium with my brother....

What really struck me is how down to earth she was in accepting victory....and always had a big smile at the finish after all that suffering....And of course it seemed like she had endless energy and passion for the mountains....

I bummed we could not schedule that trip to Glacier Peak....

My heart goes out to her family she has left a great impression on the community!

So keep her spirit alive the best way you know how!

More
05 Feb 2011 22:03 #197510 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
So I've mostly been out of the BC ski community for a couple of years, save a handful of tours each winter and the VertFest races. We had some family over for dinner tonight and we were talking about some local news and my wife happened to say something about a 41 year old female skier who was missing. I knew in a heartbeat who it was and checking here confirmed my fears.

I didn't know Monika well, but every year at VertFest she inspired me to push harder and smile bigger. She'd make me work so hard on the ascent and then dance past me on the way down, grinning huge and cheering me on.

I'll be sporting a stuffed kitty next weekend.

• scotteryx
  • [scotteryx]
More
05 Feb 2011 23:42 #197512 by scotteryx
Replied by scotteryx on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I have to say I am truly excited to see what transpires out of this come next weekend @ VertFest.

Between the BC community, OR and Alpental, I have a feeling that there will be tears, smiles, exhaustion and lots of packs with kitties on Sunday.

Reading these posts seem to take me up and down an emotional roller coaster of deep sadness then major LOL's from all of the stories and the happiness she seemed to spread like a virus.

It seems like we need more people like Monika.
Put down the iPod, your phone, whatever it may be....and spread some happiness the way she did.

RIP Monika

• mick_scott
  • [powderslut]
More
06 Feb 2011 00:17 - 06 Feb 2011 01:01 #197513 by mick_scott
Replied by mick_scott on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Monika’s plight has triggered yet another epiphany for me.
As I recall, this community has come together due to similar tragedies a time or two in the past.
But I don’t ever recall the phenomenon that I’m seeing now as I scroll through the posts with continual eye leakage; there’s some sort of synergism going on here. The outpouring of compassion seems to be triggering great things in the community and its individuals.
A beautiful poem comes out of nowhere from a person that hasn’t written in years; people like John Morrow and Joe (just two of many) who never even met her or just had a brief encounter with her, are inspired to write deep, inspiring, caring and loving words and passages honoring her contributions; Silas is creatively inspired to dig out all her past posts and share the ones he finds most inspiring. Each and every post exudes love, caring and compassion.
My logical side says that’s just the way people are; they pull together in times of hardship.
But my feeling side says it’s more… this is a beautiful community of warm, caring and compassionate people. And Monika is a part of us and one of the major reasons we are what we are.
This is one of the fundamental reasons I find it an honor and a privilege to be associated with the folks that make up this community.
Charles did a great job setting up the foundation. Marcus is working harder than he ever intended or expected, to maintain the course despite massive growth and change.
I will do all I can to help preserve this very special part of TAY. Thank you all for being you.

Well said Ron. I only knew Monika through TAY and although I never got a chance to cross tracks with her my heart is heavy.
We are all surrounded by something very special and even though some of our tracks don't cross the bond we share runs deep.

• David_Coleman
  • [David_Coleman]
More
06 Feb 2011 08:23 #197514 by David_Coleman
Replied by David_Coleman on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Ryan, you are one of the strongest individuals I know & an amazing human being. I can't come close to comprehending your loss & pain. Your words of thanks & gratitude to me personally for the efforts put forth speaks volumes to the great person you are; it was very emotionally touching.

Having spent the last few days with you & experiencing this emotionally & physically exhausting time with you on scene it is one, as Oyvind said, will take a long time to accept. I am numb by my personal experience at the scene of where a friend lost her life, as a part of me still had hope (after all, we have all heard of miracles occurring in the mountains). Besides being friends with you both, it was one of the reasons I wanted to so badly assist & be there any way I could for 2 amazing souls.

Monika was an inspiration & gifted individual. Life isn't fair when it takes one of the best; you will be missed!  Condolences to the family.