Home > Forum > Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

Monika Johnson missing near alpental....

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Feb 2011 08:46 - 06 Feb 2011 09:05 #197515 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Amazing effort David, Oyvind, Ryan and all of the others in the group that located her, including the Alpental Bark folks.  I'm so sorry you had to be there for it, but she's out now.  My condolences to her friends and family and all the people she's touched in her life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2011 09:37 #197516 by sprice
Replied by sprice on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Suze here, married to TAYer SPrice. 20 years ago, almost to the day, my community lost a pair of skier/climbers -- optimistic, talented, charismatic Hope Barnes and Kathy Phibbs.

It helped the rest of us a great deal to create something in their honor. We published their photos and writings back in the day when you had to do so on paper, no forum like this existed. There are some of us who still sign summit registers as "Dr Barnes and Miss Dish".

When you are ready, make something Monika would have loved. It will help everyone.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Feb 2011 10:14 #197517 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Suze here, married to TAYer SPrice. 20 years ago, almost to the day, my community lost a pair of skier/climbers -- optimistic, talented, charismatic Hope Barnes and Kathy Phibbs.

It helped the rest of us a great deal to create something in their honor. We published their photos and writings back in the day when you had to do so on paper, no forum like this existed. There are some of us who still sign summit registers as "Dr Barnes and Miss Dish".

When you are ready, make something Monika would have loved. It will help everyone.

YES

I've thought of Hope and Kathy many times since the news about Monika emerged. When I started alpenglow.org over ten years ago, one of the first things I posted there was a remembrance of Hope and Kathy:

alpenglow.org/themes/subalpine/hope-kathy.html
alpenglow.org/themes/subalpine/enigma-range.html

It's important to keep those memories alive.

Some wonderful suggestions have been made to honor Monika at next weekend's Vertfest. That's just a start.

More
06 Feb 2011 10:21 - 06 Feb 2011 11:55 #197518 by bobS
Replied by bobS on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Like many of you my reaction to Monika’s plight affected me more profoundly than I ever expected it to.

Me too Ron, and  I hardly knew Monika. But I’ve realized that you don’t need to know someone for them to be your hero. She embodied courage, strength, skill, beauty, and modesty so fully. A hero is someone who inspires you to become a better person than you are. That is what she does and what she will continue to do.
I remember her generosity, staying way after the scheduled time at one of the glacier workshops. Most had already left while she patiently and carefully made sure that all her students had their rescue systems down. She obviously had the experience to know how important this was. I remember reading one of her trip reports in which she and Paul Russell rescued a snowmobiler from a crevasse. Her account of that day’s extraordinary events are so very modest.
My heart goes out to her family, her friends, to all those involved in the search, rescue and recovery, and most of all to Monika.

More
06 Feb 2011 10:33 #197519 by Seth
Replied by Seth on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
During our time living in the alps it was common folkloar that mountain people who past away were reincarnated as mountain birds. Whenever I am on peak and see a raven playing in the mountain breeze, I'm going to believe it is Monika.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
06 Feb 2011 10:35 #197520 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Who's that CHARGING! ?

Thanks, Monika.
Attachments:

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
06 Feb 2011 10:54 #197521 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
as a lone Kitty sits above Moraine Lake and ponder her existence so do I

a giant has passed through and brushed our souls with love

peace out
Attachments:

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Feb 2011 11:48 #197522 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

YES

It's important to keep those memories alive.

Some wonderful suggestions have been made to honor Monika at next weekend's Vertfest. That's just a start.

Agreed.
Before Monika's accident I have thought how so many who have walked in the mountains before us never have their legacy remembered. Proven or not I have rationalized it down to- if I can remember them their spirit lives on. I believe that an amalgam of all those who have walked the white path be it past, present or future are an inherent makeup of those people who are passionate for climbing. What I'm trying to relate is that, even if it's not recorded history the effect of those who are presently active, wanting to get active or past before us all benefit from our passion for the outdoors.
The love and passion that Monika shared for the sport and those with her will never be forgotten, passed forward and will live forever carried in a tradition centuries old.

More
06 Feb 2011 12:33 #197523 by Andy Hill
Replied by Andy Hill on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Never knew Monika, but have somehow been connected since hearing of her missing.  She's been on my thoughts all week as I've gotten to know her through TAY and such.  She was also a disappearing speck to me at Vertfest and I was comforted to know such people were blazing the trails.  Like a kindred soul living the passion of life to their limits.  I had the honor of coming down the mountain in the recovery yesterday.  Joining such a community of people that wanted to give closure to family/friends was a privilege I'll always remember.  Especially as it was for such a remarkable person.  The care and concern exhibited was a tribute to the love all had for her.  She has touched my life.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
06 Feb 2011 13:06 - 06 Feb 2011 23:14 #197524 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Our friend Monika

A few hours ago I spoke with Ryan about finding Monika in the snow below the summit of Red Mountain.  As I write her body is being carried out from the accident site.  There is an indescribable amount of sadness washing over me knowing that she is well and truly gone.  So many others, from close friends to passing acquaintances have spoken about her with such eloquence on this site.  She touched people in a profound way and it only serves to describe what an exceptional person she was.   For many of us who had the good fortune to be graced with her friendship and companionship, she will stand out as one of the most powerful connections of our lives.
When I was interviewed by a reporter after the accident, I finished by saying that “we are all really grieving right now, she was one of the best.”  I wasn’t talking about her strength and abilities as a ski mountaineer and athlete.  No, I was referring to what wonderful person she was.  She WAS a great athlete, gifted with a massive set of lungs with powerful legs that ran us all into the ground.  Coupled to her famous will and determination, she was indefatigable.  Her strength and ability however was far surpassed by her kindness, generosity of spirit and the care and love that she lavished on those close to her.
Monika was humble, kind and almost child like in her openness to people and friends.  She made friends easily and brought  out the best in them.  She drew out the protective impulse in many of us “guys” who tramped in the hills with her.  I called her bahini (little sister); the vulnerable little scamp that followed you around as a kid and easily ran you down at tag games.  We first met on a trip to Black Peak.  It was one of the two or three times in my life that I knew immediately that we would be lifelong friends.  She beat a track straight uphill, powerful arms double poling upward.  In the winters that followed we spent many days skiing together.  She was a woman of emotional depth and intelligence.  Drives to the mountain and long talks on the phone were often as rewarding as the time spent together outside.   There were no bad days with Monika:  Hiding in the back of the Saab in the Paradise Parking lot, giggling at the ranger busting people for sleeping in their cars; striding through Cascade glob on a “hike” tour or waiting in the Nelson Library for Heli to fly.  It was all satisfying and rewarding;  you were in the mountains, your friends were with you and there was possibility ahead.  Nope, there were no bad days, just good days and really, really good days.  One of my favorites I wrote about here, four days at Rogers Pass after a late March storm had deposited a blanket of powder beneath blue skis.
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...dex.php?topic=9590.0

In late fall 2007, Monika was riding her new road bike when the carbon fiber head tube collapsed, pitching her suddenly and violently to the ground.  She suffered   a serious head injury and she would require extensive dental work to repair the damage to her teeth.  She called me a few days before a planned ski trip, tearful and scared at what had happened.  I and others told her that she would be back, that we would be there for her and she would make a full recovery.  With what was a seriously debilitating injury that would have set most of us back for years, she applied the same epic determination and will that she displayed in the mountains to overcome.  The iconic full face helmet made its appearance that winter at Fairy Meadows, joining the hand knitted wrist warmers and Powder Kitty to her skiing kit.  Because of the brain injury her capacity to work was limited and she had memory problems.  Every time she came to Bellingham she had to call me up for directions to my house.  It was all very difficult for her; the loss of functioning, the lowered income and uninsured medical bills and looming over it all the legal struggle with the company that sold her the bike.  She treated everyone with such kindness and regard; she couldn’t understand why the company responsible wouldn’t take full responsibility and admit liability.
Through all these struggles, she leaned on the support of her friends, and most importantly, she continued to go to the mountains.  Monika loved being out.  Her spirit and enthusiasm for the mountains was a wonder.  I have known someone who seemed so happy and at home in wild places.  It was her sanctuary and sharing it with her friends made her life complete.   It definitely helped her come back and slowly overcome the weight and stress of what had happened, like we all knew she would.
This past summer I was fortunate to get to spend a lot of time with Monika rock climbing and on a couple of surf trips to the Oregon coast.  I cherish the memories of that time now that she is gone.  One day we were climbing in the woods, delaying our departure in the rain by climbing a few steep, short pitches.  After failing on a climb, Monika went up and started over the crux that had spit me out. Without pausing she extended one of those long legs of hers and stemmed off of a tree,  beaming down that smile of hers, exclaiming, “I just downgraded it to 5.10 T”.   
She took to surfing the same way she approached the mountains; cautiously, meticulously and with rare stamina and determination.  I would see here from the outer break getting pummeled by the white water session after session, back to the incoming waves, working her way out to ride the small swells next to the beach.  I tried to get her to come out to the break but she was stubborn and knew what worked for her.  On her second trip she felt ready and come out to the break when the ocean was sending in perfect chest high waves.  Joining the new friends she had made the day before, Cory and Kathleen and I as we rode wave after wave.  We picked out a swell for her and sent her off with a “go, go….paddle, paddle”.  It was her wave and she rode it to shore perfectly.  From the break we watched her jump off her board in the foot deep water and turn towards us, thrusting her arm in the air, the smile and squeal of pleasure reaching across the waves.  The same spontaneous joy heard throughout the Cascades and mountains of BC.  We were so happy for her.
It makes me incomprehensible sad that one of my most cherished friends is now gone.  I selfishly expected to spend time with her as the years passed, knowing that there would always be trips ahead with Monika, forgetting how short our lives are and how something rare and beautiful can go away.  When this deep grief passes I know that it will be replaced with a wistful longing for her presence.  She will always be in the back of mind…..  Monika was one of the great gifts of my life…..  And the power of her love is that it is also true for so many of us.
We are all bound together in our shared love of the mountains, the experiences and the emotions they create within us;  powerful and evocative in an expansive, exquisitely beautiful setting.    That, in the end, is the essence of our time together:  skinning through the woods loaded with freshly falling snow, descending a perfect layer of corn in the bright glare of a spring day,…descending an open glade of powder- dancing through the widely spaced trees;  ending a great run with a tap of  poles.
Knowing  that it is all a precious gift.   
I was searching through my large collection of pictures of Monika and I came across this little video clip of Oyvind and Monika in the Baker back country.  It broke my heart to hear her voice but it is one of the ways that her memory will carry on for me;  Striding powerfully ahead into the storm, friends in tow, towards the next climb, …up,… always up
picasaweb.google.com/GreggCronn/OyvindAn...v1sRgCLjC75uv6aD8Rw#
Goodbye Bahini……

Attachments:

• rnbfish
  • [rnbfish]
More
06 Feb 2011 13:28 #197525 by rnbfish
Replied by rnbfish on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Thank you for posting this.

More
06 Feb 2011 13:41 #197526 by prestonf
Replied by prestonf on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Thanks Gregg. Beautiful sentiments.

• Murrmeister
  • [murray]
More
06 Feb 2011 15:51 #197527 by Murrmeister
Replied by Murrmeister on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Wow. I'm so sorry to learn of this. I've been out of town for the past 2 weeks and just read through the threads. Monika was an impressive, humble and wonderful woman. I'm just so sorry to hear that she has passed. I spent time with her on a few occasions and she truly was a warm person. It's clear that Monika gave so much to the people around her and her passing will leave a huge hole in many of our lives. My warmest condolences go out to her family and close friends.

I lost my closest skiing and climbing partner last year and now learning about Monika is really tough. My friend's passing has forced me to reflect on how we spend our time in life, who we spend it with and what we hope folks will say about us when we are gone.

I'm helping with Vertfest and will see what can be done to recognize Monika's spirit and memory.

Murray

More
06 Feb 2011 18:06 #197529 by Darryl
Replied by Darryl on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Amazing effort David, Oyvind, Ryan and all of the others in the group that located her, including the Alpental Bark folks.  I'm so sorry you had to be there for it, but she's out now.

THANK-YOU, Gentlemen, for finding Monika!  None of us wanted her to be by herself.  She was NEVER and will NEVER be alone!  She is in my heart and many others'.

More
06 Feb 2011 18:17 #197530 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Written by Mary Frye, 1932

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

More
06 Feb 2011 18:24 - 06 Feb 2011 18:29 #197531 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

Unsuspecting Mortal

Fortunately for some,
And for more than most
Pain is an emotion,
An ebb and flow
Bathing in time
At its leisure

For some of us
Unsuspecting mortals,
Pain carves initials
In our soul

Non- relenting
Turmoil battles inside
As if I have forgotten-
The echoes of memories ring
On the lowest of occasions

Ever still the anger
As it is
With every year
That death arrives
To take someone
Again-

Goodbye Monika  :'(

Lisa Marie Garcia 2001

More
06 Feb 2011 18:31 #197532 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I was out and about in my lot today and I noticed the rustling of the trees and plants in way that I never had before. Beautiful poem.

• James Wells
  • [Travertine]
More
06 Feb 2011 18:41 #197533 by James Wells
Replied by James Wells on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Such an awesome outpouring of love at a sad time.

Peace,

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
06 Feb 2011 18:47 #197534 by Larry_R
Replied by Larry_R on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
I thought I could finally write something worthy of Monika's memory now, but then I read today's posts, and they broke me up. Maybe I can post something worthwhile soon.

Larry

More
06 Feb 2011 19:30 #197535 by LeeLau
Replied by LeeLau on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Condolences to Monika's family and friends

More
06 Feb 2011 20:09 #197536 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
In my small way I will honor a sister of the mountains who is gone now
I knew her not, but will always remember her
In the high country we are all touched by one another
we are all brothers and sisters because of snow
this is who we are
our real selves
humble, yet proud
shining bright as suns
strong as any lion
carved into the
ancient gates of Ishtar
honored as any fallen warrior
she will be with us always

More
06 Feb 2011 20:45 #197538 by Kenji
Replied by Kenji on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
When our dear friend, Susan McKnight, was killed in an avalanche in 2002, we were all devastated and had to cope with the loss in different ways.  Susan was Monika's very close friend, and I can't imagine how painful it was for her to carry on.  Here is a quote from a PI article:

Monika Peters, a friend and fellow wilderness skier, said Susan McKnight was an inspiration to her and others.

"She was an amazing, totally unbelievable, Amazonian grandmother," Peters said. "She could outclimb and outski a lot of guys younger than her."

Sounds familiar? I think Monika decided to follow Susan's path and has done an amazing job as evidenced by so many people touched by her.  It is now our turn to cope with the loss of our dear friend.  After all, the best part of our backcountry experience is not actually the fresh powder, but the friendship we share in the mountains.

Thanks Monika, we will carry on.

• josborne
  • [josborne]
More
06 Feb 2011 20:45 #197539 by josborne
Replied by josborne on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
“Looking for a Magic Carpet to Paradise”

This is the title of a post by Monika on “partners wanted” in January.

It was an invitation for an opportunity to ride and ski with a skilled mountaineer who was willing to, perhaps ski with me. It was a missed opportunity.

She inspired me and I never met her. She encouraged me and she didn't know it.

RIP

My deepest sympathy to her family, and friends.

• Kevin Grove
  • [Kevin Grove]
More
06 Feb 2011 22:23 #197540 by Kevin Grove
Replied by Kevin Grove on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Our dear friend Monika,
My wife, Molly, and I first met Monika at the Alpental rando race a few years back and became fast friends. We connected after the race and I was surprised to learn how much Monika and Molly already knew about each other. They had been chatting during the race! Molly loves to chat and had become friends with Monika during the race. We skied afterword and made plans for future adventures.

Over the years we came to know Monika as a wonderful, caring, and kind person. Monika had legs of steel, a heart of gold, and a winning smile a mile wide. As I look back at all of my photos from the past few years, one thing clearly stands out. Monika always had a huge smile on her face. She loved being in the mountains and loved spending time in the snow with friends. Monika was always psyched. Early in the morning, late in the evening, after many miles on the trail, Monika was always psyched! I loved that about her. She was always positive and a pure joy to be around. Her infectious enthusiasm rubbed off on all skiing partners and friends around her. Though she was as strong as any of the guys she skied with, she loved to ski with guys and gals. She'd ask Molly for tips on being a princess. Molly tried to coach her on little things like letting the guys skin her skis, not breaking trail, etc., but princess just isn't a way to describe Monika. Queen is more fitting.

I have many wonderful memories of Monika charging hard, hanging back to chat with friends, breaking trail, following closely behind. Long days out in wild, amazing places were always more special because she was around. She was always fun to be with. The rivers of tears that have been shed are a testament to how much she meant to us.

We will miss you Monika, will miss your huge smile, your psyche, your trail breaking, and many, many more wonderful attributes you shared with us over the years. We have learned so much from you and will remember you always. The skin track and hut conversations won't be the same.

Love,
Kevin and Molly Grove
Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2011 00:04 #197542 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Heartfelt sympathy to her family and numerous friends

Ivo

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Feb 2011 00:59 #197543 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....

When our dear friend, Susan McKnight, was killed in an avalanche in 2002, we were all devastated and had to cope with the loss in different ways.  Susan was Monika's very close friend, and I can't imagine how painful it was for her to carry on.  Here is a quote from a PI article:

Monika Peters, a friend and fellow wilderness skier, said Susan McKnight was an inspiration to her and others.

"She was an amazing, totally unbelievable, Amazonian grandmother," Peters said. "She could outclimb and outski a lot of guys younger than her."

Wow...

After reading Kenji's post, I just realized something which is completely shocking to me -- that I probably knew and skied with "Kitty" -- with Susan McKnight, whose death in that 2002 avalanche accident inspired Monika to carry Kitty with her on all her trips, in memory of Susan. Yet until this moment, I never realized that they were one and the same person.

I'm almost certain that I skied with Susan and 4 others in 1998 from the summit of Mt Hood, on a Mountaineers trip -- back when the Mountaineers still did real ski mountaineering trips, back when skiing the 50-degree slopes off the summit of Hood through the Pearly Gates was a major challenge, and back when summiting and skiing Mt Hood was a huge accomplishment for me at that stage of my development as a budding ski mountaineer.

Can anyone please confirm that the woman beside me (I'm wearing the OR sun hat) in this summit photo on Mount Hood (April 30, 1998) is Susan McKnight?

Sadly, the next person over to the right in that photo (wearing the blue jacket and hood) is Paul Kulhanek -- who also died in 2002, but of natural causes while still quite young ( very old TAY thread ). Paul was a mentor to me in my first year of ski mountaineering, as one of the seasoned instructors when I took the Mountaineers ski mountaineering and glacier skiing courses in early 1997.

It's so strange how the circle of friends can close and link and intertwine sometimes in such mysterious ways.

More
07 Feb 2011 07:03 #197544 by kmcb
Replied by kmcb on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Godspeed, Monika.  You will be missed by many.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Feb 2011 07:14 #197545 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing BC skier near alpental....
Seattle Times story:

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews...151086_skier07m.html

Now that Monika's name has been released in the press, I wonder if it would be good to change the title of this thread to include her name. That would help people coming here from the newspaper story and make it easier to find these memories in the future.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Feb 2011 07:19 #197546 by Marcus
Done, Lowell. Good idea.

More
07 Feb 2011 07:28 - 07 Feb 2011 07:32 #197547 by haggis
www.kirotv.com/news/26761828/detail.html

Interview with her brother in this article, from last night I believe.  He's holding up well but it must be terribly difficult times.

I'm bringing several old "cuddly toys" to the vertfest if anyone would like one, some are as old as me so nudging 40yrs!  PM if you'd like one.