Home > Trip Reports > May 18-20, 2006, Broken Top, Middle and North Sister OR

May 18-20, 2006, Broken Top, Middle and North Sister OR

5/18/06
OR elsewhere
Posted by Monika on 5/22/06 5:27am
Long approaches.  And feel even longer when alone and see no one else out there.  Great snow coverage as in WA.  Still only winter access for the Broken Top/S. Sister area.  Started from the snowpark 6300' across from the Mt. Bachelor parking lot.  Evidence the snow had refrozen the night before but with a late 1:30 start this was a mute point.  Told that if you start in the morning could hitch a ride for a couple beers to the wilderness boundary from snowmobilers heading out.  Intermittent thunder storms as I skinned 7 or so miles to approach Broken Top.  Grateful for a Nordic background to make the approaches easier.  Skinned to the ridge 8600' just below the false SE summit by 3:30. Sunny views all around. Fun steepish ski back down.  Then climbed the south ridge to the false SW summit.  Saw that if I had stayed low could have skinned nearly to the top of Broken Top from the west side.  next time

Originally had thought to do South Sister.  But with only winter access this would have added several more miles to the approach for Broken Top.  Instead came from the north end to explore North and Middle Sister starting at the Pole Creek TH 5300'.  Hiked the trail to about 5600' and began skinning.  Less straightforward approach to North Sister.  Rain the night before and warm weather amid light showers created those natural slow moving hissing sluffs off the Willard Glacier on the east side.  So headed up the NE ridge between the Willard and Linn Glaciers.  Booted up the 2nd half to top out at 9600' just north of the rocky summit.  Skied down this 30-35 degree slope cautiously as I was alone and didn't want to create my own sluff to take me out.  Again wet almost corn.  Below 7000' the wet snow and rain unfortunately had melted my skin track away completely.  The low lying clouds and featureless undulating thick tree terrain down low made me very glad to find a boot track out from earlier that day.  Told myself I wasn't going to do that again.  However a few hours later in the warm car I decided I'd go ahead for a 3rd day.

To approach Middle Sister on snow had to stay low to circumnavigate the east rocky flanks of North Sister.    Skinned up the north rib edge of the Hayden Glacier to the saddle between Middle and North at 9100'.  A centimeter of new snow above 8200'.  Good snow coverage made skinning look doable to the summit of Middle.  But due to time and questionable weather instead skied back down a fantastic 2000' run.  Kam style skied within 1/2 mile of the TH :).  Overall  faster ski conditions than I expected given that it wasn't refreezing at night.     

(would post some pics but haven't yet successfully figured it out)

addendum:
okay kitty and I put some pics on this cheesy site; just enter this defunct email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to view http://www.clubphoto.com/memberservices/login.php
Another great adventure!!  Just you and Kitty?! Maybe I should get one...

nice photos monika!  and cute cat too.  we may be heading down to the sisters this weekend, do you think i could borrow her??  ;)  she seemed to bring you good luck. 

you're a rockstar, you burly girl!!  ;D

Nice job Monika and Miss Kitty, thanks for sharing your adventure.

Way to go Monika! you continually amaze 8)

...thanks

just to clarify, kitty is not female or male. 
Kitty just is, like the Tao
;)

Nice work! and cool photos...
Sounds like most of the eastern approach roads to the Sisters are still snow-bound??? (Was curious if the access road for the route which leads to the area between South and Middle Sister (Carver Lake area) is melted-out yet).

Monika - great report and pictures.  Kitty looks burly too!

Nice work. My favorite photo was of your friend on Broken Top with South and Middle in the background. Do you mind if I embed it in my post? Thanks :)

author=Jeff Huber link=topic=4791.msg20311#msg20311 date=1148414137]
My favorite photo was... Do you mind if I embed it in my post? Thanks :)

thank you so much Jeff.  Kitty feels relieved to be able to show what a great time Kitty had out there :D

In regards to road access Cass, I don't know about the Carver Lake area. 
The locals BC shop in Bend, Pine Mountain Sports, was very helpful and suggested the Pole Creek TH because as of last weekend there was no closer access they knew about for Middle Sis and no other access for South Sis than the snowpark across from Mt. Bachelor.  I called the Sisters Forest Service office to ask about Pole Creek.  They said Pole Creek FS 15 was open to within 1 mile of the TH.  But actually it was open to the end without a trace of snow left on the road. 

Would imagine by next weekend you'd be hiking 1.5 miles to snow at 5750' from Pole Creek.  The South facing flanks of North sister had no snow in the trees (not talking about the south facing scree fields) in places as high as at least approx 6500'.  Anything to approach Broken Top was super covered and would expect that to last well through next weekend. 

You need to train Kitty to take some pictures of you!

You need to train Kitty to take some pictures of you!

I've been trained to take the pics  ;)  thanks for posting the tr monika.  nice job, you and kitty getting into broken top in 2 hours!

Nice report. The mountains are always wilder when one is alone.
90% of tabbys are male. I guess Kitty is in that 10%. My Gino does not like to be carried so will have to find another orange one that likes to hang on for "the wild ride".

author=Paul_Russell link=topic=4791.msg20321#msg20321 date=1148449670]
I've been trained to take the pics  ;)

wow Paul, warmest thankyou from kitty and I.
that was a beautiful WA powder day in April

Ahhhh....
My old stomping grounds. Pole Creek and Soap Creek entrances to B. Top are good as well....'never have seen any cats up there however...

author=Steve_Taber link=topic=4791.msg20339#msg20339 date=1148531703]
Ahhhh....
My old stomping grounds. Pole Creek and Soap Creek entrances to B. Top are good as well....'never have seen any cats up there however...

Alright massive thread drift: Hey Steve, if you're the Steve Taber I'm thinking of, I just wanted to let you know that the photo of you on Diamond Peak is still prominently on the wall of a certain fast food joint on the way to Willamette Pass. It's cool to find a photo like that in such a place! :)

I know that photo too.  Every once in awhile when I go to said prominent fast food joint in Oakridge I find myself looking at that picture and thinking back about similiar trips I've had on other Oregon Volcanoes........... :)

yup....that be me....in that fine Scottish restaurant....a long, long time ago...

Reply to this TR

may-18-20-2006-broken-top-middle-and-north-sister-or
Monika
2006-05-22 12:27:21