Home > Forum > Missing snowboarders last winter???

Missing snowboarders last winter???

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jun 2008 14:53 #182079 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Okay, we've got a decent group building. So far I've heard from Russ, Randy, Justin and one other fella for carpooling arrangements. I'm collecting phone numbers and I'll make some calls tomorrow night to work out the details. Anyone else who wants to get in on the carpooling, PM me your phone number.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
19 Jun 2008 15:10 #182080 by snoslut
Replied by snoslut on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Topo maps are good in all, but here's a visual of the actual terrain...

(Red circle indicates location of the shelter.)

If nothing else comes up...I'll be there. I'll be coming from Sumner / 410.

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
19 Jun 2008 15:31 #182081 by Randy Beaver
Replied by Randy Beaver on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I'm gonna say I can take 2-will be bringing canine. I live on lower Queen Anne, 1 blk off Aurora 99 VERY accessible.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jun 2008 17:13 #182083 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

Topo maps are good in all, but here's a visual of the actual terrain...

(Red circle indicates location of the shelter.)

If nothing else comes up...I'll be there.  I'll be coming from Sumner / 410.

thanks Snowslut, very very useful,

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
19 Jun 2008 19:11 #182084 by Randy Beaver
Replied by Randy Beaver on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
unfortunately have to count myself out of the running for carpooling...I have at least 1, posibly 2 extra walkie talkies. See y'all @ 7

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jun 2008 19:14 #182085 by Marcus
Indeed -- thanks Snoslut.  I thought it was quite a bit farther down than that.

Scotsman, did your anon email have any idea when that big slide let go?  When we were leaving the area that day, skiing along the top of Crown Point, along the ridge to Bluebell and back up to drop into Bullion, we were staring down into those tempting gullies.  They'd not yet slid at 2 or 3 o'clock.  We skied the lower angle slopes on skier's right side of Crown a few times before heading out ahead of the incoming weather.

Carpool-wise, if Russ and jd want to meet at my place then head over to pick up Zack, that would work. I'll give you guys a call. Scotsman, are you on your own for the drive?

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jun 2008 22:50 #182087 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I'm interested in helping Saturday. I won't know for sure if I can go until my wife returns from a business trip Friday afternoon. I can drive or carpool and live in north Seattle (Maple Leaf).

• zackalope
  • [zackalope]
More
20 Jun 2008 00:27 #182089 by zackalope
Replied by zackalope on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I could get myself to a more accessible location on Saturday morning if need be.

I'll bring three radios, and if I can get it to wake up and find some satellites, a gps.

Zack

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jun 2008 19:59 #182097 by Scotsman
Just got a report from Joedebaker who hiked up to the Bullion Saddle and went down the slope part ways today. Tremendous effort Joe andthanks. Joe will post a report and pictures but what I wanted to point out to participants is that based upon Joe's report, the snow cover is minimal on the East face and although there may be a way to ski down it looks like it's going to be more of a hiking effort than skis or boards , which is good news for the search effort.

Based upon Joe's report I am still going to bring my skis but leave them up at the top for a possible run at day's end but am going to wear mountaineering boots rather than ski boots for the hike and carry my ski boots attached to my skis. Lowell Skoog was kind enough to contact me and suggest that based upon these conditins, this would be the best footwear as the vegetated slopes we will be hiking on are slippery for sneakers.

Use your own judgement based upon Joe's report which will be posted shortly.

Thanks
Scotty.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jun 2008 20:45 #182099 by Marcus
Wow, great job Joe -- thanks. Glad to hear there's so little snow cover. Definitely increases our chances in the immediate future. The north end group is meeting at the 65th Street park and ride at 5 a.m.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jun 2008 21:43 #182100 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
As Scotty mentioned I took a trip out to the Union Creek. I went up from Crystal to to the Union Creek location where I last saw those guys.
The trail has patches of snow up to Bullion Basin where it is mostly snow covered in the basin.
There was a little scramble and snow covered slope to the saddle over to Union.
I was not prepared, I had sneakers and borrowed some poles and a really old pack that had to tie the waist band. I was just driving by OK.

Anyway, The snow on the East flanks that Dave's map shows "likely areas" is mostly patchy, there are spots where wind load or slides have accumulation up to 3 feet deep, but mostly shallow in the sun.
I traversed NE under rock cliffs from the last seen location looking up and down hill, going off trail down into some of the avalanche terrain, The terrain is steep, but other than the scree areas it can be managed to down climb. But it is strenuous and a little hard on my old knees. I did not go too deep down to limit knee pain.

So East faces are patchy and steep,
Moving to Crown Point and over to Gold Hill there is still ample snow NE and N slopes down to the basin.
Down in the basin there appears to be good melt on the Eastern end and as you go South to the North facing slopes the snow pack is deeper. In the basin at the "likely areas" would be good searching. There seems to be ample water in the basin, to avoid having to bring to much water.
If you plan to bring skis, I can direct that route to the hut and basin route.
We need to discus the plan tomorrow.

We may be able to use the Gold Hills road near SandFlats to access the trail, I am uncertain if the road is snow, rock, washout and tree free yet. But there is ample parking at the trailhead from the road.

I have a webpage to look at photos of today UNION CREEK RECOVERY . There is Dave's map indications of last seen spot and there route form there. Also, where the hut may be and potential ski routes to access the area in the basin.
See you in the morning.
Joe

• loggerdogger
  • [loggerdogger]
More
21 Jun 2008 17:38 #182104 by loggerdogger
Replied by loggerdogger on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I want each and everyone who searched for my son Devlin how appreciative I am and you are all angels to me. I know how hard it must have been and very much appreciate all your efforts. I want you to know that Devlin is Irish galec meaning man of the mountains. I am planning to take him back up to his cathederal. Much love and respect to all. I am sooooo proud of each and everyone. As far as I am concerned you are all my children and Iwill pray everyday for all your safety. Once a mother always a mother :)

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Jun 2008 20:42 #182105 by Scotsman
Since I got home tonight many people have emailed and called regarding searching on Sunday.
Your offers are much appreciated but there will be NO search on Sunday and we will explain in later posts why not and can't say any more at present.

Thank you all
Scotty.

• Tophervw
  • [Tophervw]
More
21 Jun 2008 22:57 #182106 by Tophervw
Replied by Tophervw on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
many thanks to all who contributed to the effort! This is an increible community!

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
22 Jun 2008 00:59 #182107 by cmosetick
Replied by cmosetick on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Just wanted to say what a great job you guys have been doing. Here is the link to the Seattle Times regarding all this:

3 Seattle-area snowboarders' found near Crystal Mountain

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
22 Jun 2008 06:47 #182108 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

Just wanted to say what a great job you guys have been doing. Here is the link to the Seattle Times regarding all this:

3 Seattle-area snowboarders' found near Crystal Mountain

Tacoma News Trib
www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/394759.html

• danengel
  • [danengel]
More
22 Jun 2008 08:22 #182109 by danengel
Replied by danengel on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Great job everyone! This was an amazing effort!
I am sure this will bring some much needed closure to the families and friends of these three guys.

• heartbroken
  • [heartbroken]
More
22 Jun 2008 08:58 - 22 Jun 2008 09:05 #182110 by heartbroken
Replied by heartbroken on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
My wife and I wish to thank everyone in the TAY community that searched for our son and his friends, or prayed for us.  We are truly grateful for the efforts that you have made on our behalf.  This winter has been sooo long and seemed like it would never end.  Now we can bring Kevin home and begin the process of healing.

I particularly want to thank Joedabaker who has corresponded with us and sent some photos of his excursion on Fri.  They gave us hope.

We humbled by your concern and courage.

One last salute:  serieoro.smugmug.com/gallery/5228738_Z6s74#317608904_rcXLt

God bless you all,

Stephen and Loraine Carter

• steadyski
  • [steadyski]
More
22 Jun 2008 08:59 #182111 by steadyski
Replied by steadyski on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Wow, what an amazing community. We are blessed.

greg

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 09:45 - 23 Jun 2008 07:14 #182112 by Lowell_Skoog
I like to write things down.  It helps me remember.  Memories enrich our lives.  So I hope it is okay for me to share a few memories from June 21.

First and foremost we remember the snowboarders who were lost in December: Kevin Carter, Phillip Hollins, and Devlin Williams.  Most of us didn't know them in life, but they were part of our community. 

A couple of threads about the December search can be found here and here .  Reports of conditions on December 1 and afterward can be found here , here , and here .

There were no heroes on the mountain yesterday, just members of the community who decided to spend a day looking.  Everybody contributed something: walking the search line, remembering details from December, mulling ideas, relaying messages, digging in the snow, offering moral support.

Special mention should be made of Scotsman, Joedabaker, Marcus, and Andy, who saw the snowboarders on December 1 and provided special motivation for the search.  It was a privilege to spend the day with David and Megan, long-time friends of the victims, who were pillars of emotional support when we volunteers were getting wobbly.

Our party of twelve volunteers split into two groups, nine on foot and three on skis.  This was a stroke of luck, because when the walkers made their discovery the skiers were in a perfect position (up on the ridge) to relay messages.  There were other strokes of luck yesterday.  We felt fortunate to have contributed to an ending which, while it was not happy, was absolutely right.

Tears were shed. 

Fears were confronted. 

Mysteries were pondered.

When we returned to the cars, I asked the walkers to pause for a picture, to remember the day better.  Later, when we rejoined the skiers, it was awkward and impractical to get everybody together for another shot.  So I regret that I don't have a picture with everybody in it.  I hope it is okay to post this picture as a way for us in the TAY community to send our thoughts to you, the family and friends Kevin, Phillip, and Devlin.  Our hearts go out to you.

PICTURED [L-R]: The walkers - Me, zackalope, Andy, Marcus, russ, snoslut, jdclimber, Randy Beaver, Stugie.  NOT PICTURED: The skiers - Joedabaker, Kyle Miller, Scotsman. ALSO NOT PICTURED: The ski patrollers - Paul and Lynn Baugher, Jen, Ben, and Allison.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
22 Jun 2008 09:53 #182114 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

There were no heroes on the mountain yesterday,

PICTURED: The walkers - Me, zackalope, Andy, Marcus, russ, snoslut, jdclimber, Randy Beaver, Stugie.  NOT PICTURED: The skiers - Joedabaker, Kyle Miller, Scotsman.

I think you are wrong. I see a whole group of them.  Way to go guys.

he·ro Audio Help /ˈhɪəroʊ/ [heer-oh]
–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

• SportDave
  • [SportDave]
More
22 Jun 2008 10:58 #182115 by SportDave
Replied by SportDave on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I want to offer my profound thanks to all of you who came out and helped yesterday. It is such a huge relief to me to have found them while they were still buried. And your willingness to stick it out when it went from a search to a recovery is clearly above and beyond the call. I am particularly grateful to Scotsman, for both starting this thread and for pulling what must have been a lonely, difficult duty on a windy ridge. I'm proud to have spent a day with all of you.

Dave

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 11:10 #182116 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Very well put Lowell,
I add a special thanks to Scotsman who made action out of what others were just thinking.
Crystal Mountain ski patrol played a very active role and were a surprise addition to the group meeting (the skiers) right as we got to Bluebell Pass.
I am not a religious man, but there must have been Mountain God(s) power guiding us to their location. There would have been better odds finding a needle in a haystack.

There are no words that justify the feelings that I experienced yesterday working with TAY and Crystal Mountain volunteers, Dave and Megan. The relief that our mountain men can be brought home to their families.
It was emotionally filled to say the least-up, down and sideways.
To paraphrase what Justin said, "That so many could work together with really no leader is amazing!"
There is a sense of bonding that may never be spoken by the searchers, but forever felt by me.
I have now made several lifelong friends in one day that would have taken me a lifetime to make.

Joe

More
22 Jun 2008 11:18 #182117 by Salal
Replied by Salal on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
What a kind effort to undertake....amazing

More
22 Jun 2008 11:38 #182118 by flibby
Replied by flibby on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
To all of you,

I don't even have words to thank you for helping Dave and Jerry and Megan find our friends. I can only say that Phil would have done the same for any of you, in a heartbeat. I didn't know the other two boys but my guess is that they would too, just because that's the kind of friends Phil had.

This may not be "politically correct" on this board, but I'm gonna say it: Please, all of you, please, remember that Nature isn't merciful. Phil was a brilliant man and knew what he was doing--and he met his end on that mountain. Please remember that brains and strength aren't always enough. Please go forth from here with just a tiny bit more caution.

I'm sorry. I'm just devastated by this. The only way this can make sense to me is if someone else is helped by learning from Phil's experience.

Thank you. All of you.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 12:06 - 22 Jun 2008 12:25 #182120 by Marcus
Without a doubt, yesterday was the most rewarding day I've had in the mountains -- I was happy to be there and help in some small capacity and to do it in such great company.  It couldn't have gone better than it did and, as Joe said, I feel a far deeper bond with all involved than the total time spent together would dictate.  Thanks to all of you for doing a hard task well, and to everyone else who couldn't be there but have offered support.  For the family and friends, I hope the chance luck we had yesterday makes it easier to find your peace with Kevin, Philip and Devlin's absence.

EDIT: flibby, rest assured that all of us yesterday will take away lessons and caution from the time we spent with them. I'm so sorry for you loss.

More
22 Jun 2008 15:41 #182123 by jcocci
Replied by jcocci on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Wow, great effort guys. Glad there is finally some closure for their families. Sorry for your loss.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 15:58 #182124 by Scotsman
The hero's in my view are Megan and David the family friends who searched independently many times and kept the torch burning for their friends.

Kevin, Phillip and Devlin must have been very special people to have created such love and loyalty and I wish I could have had the opportunity to have got to know them.

I was a privilege to have been able to join with Megan and David in their search.
My condolences to the families.

I gave my son a big hug when I got home and took him and his friend skiing at Chinook pass today. As I watched these two young vibrant 16 year olds discovering the joy of  the backcountry , I thought of our fallen brothers and know they felt the same way about our sport.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 16:04 - 22 Jun 2008 16:10 #182125 by Lowell_Skoog
On the hike out from Bullion Basin yesterday (after it was determined that a helicopter recovery would not be possible that day) we met Paul Baugher hiking in. Paul asked me to send him the names of our party members and he sent me the following e-mail this afternoon:

I can't tell you enough how pleased we were with your group's efforts and success in the search yesterday. The fact that we were all working on the same goal of closure for the family, friends, searchers, etc and to have worked so well together in coordinating yesterdays efforts. I will put together an avalanche accident report for this and may need to contact you and some of the other members of your group. Do you recall the names of the folks that saw them near the ridge on the Saturday prior to the avalanche cycle? If so I would like to get their contact information.

I stressed the amazing "grass-roots" effort you all put together in news interviews yesterday and today. I hope they air it. That to me was a more important story than the physical findings they were interested in. That speaks not to how they died but more to how they were remembered and respected by their friends and fellow backcountry skiers.

On behalf of the Pierce County Sheriffs, Crystal Mt. Patrol and all that were involved in the December and recent search efforts I thank you for all that you have done.

Best Regards
--
Paul Baugher
Ski Patrol Director/ Risk Manager

Scotsman wrote:

The hero's in my view are Megan and David the family friends who searched independently many times and kept the torch burning for their friends.

I agree.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Jun 2008 17:15 #182113 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I didn't want to comment earlier because I didn't think I had much to add. However, I was in tears this morning as I read the reports coming in. I have been thinking about these guys, the victims, all winter and agonizing about the cold May. waiting for that snow to melt back a little. I see that we were all pretty much of the same mind.

You guys are heroes to me.... that you really are so talented, that you are always mindful and generous. The fact that you continuously practice your craft has paid off. I just want to offer my thanks to you for bringing this to resolution.

While my heart is somewhat heavy today, I also feel inspired to get back out to the hills.