Home > Trip Reports > December 1, 2007, Bullion Basin and Crown Point

December 1, 2007, Bullion Basin and Crown Point

12/1/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Pete A on 12/1/07 12:54pm
great turns to be had up there today.  weather in the morning was gorgeous...cold, with pockets of blue sky poking out...by mid-afternoon it was snowin and blowin, definitely something big rolling in.

NE aspects that we skied had some shallow suspect layers.  Tap test column results- Top 10" on a NE facing 38 degree slope sheared clean and fast after ten taps from the wrist and one tap from the elbow.  The upper layer(s) were relatively unconsolidated and sluffed easily when skiing anything over 35-40 degrees, once on slighly shallower terrain the sluffing stopped.

Of course this will all change tomorrow with 12-24" inches on its way.

Pete,
That may have been your group that we saw as you were resting South of Crown point. We were headed to Pick and asked if you had any test pit info on SW aspect.
We skied the SW aspect down to Fog and the wind picked up while the ceiling lowered and called it good. Nice ski and bushwack down to Gold Hills ending with a great run all the way to the rig.
Thanks for the skin track assist to help our portage to Crown, sure beats busting especially after the previous couple days of breaking trails.
As you mentioned, that scene is done until this cycle settles, over a foot of new at my house in Greenwater in 7 hours.
Death grip drive to get back home from Tacoma this evening, 6 to 10 inches unplowed on the roads from Enumclaw to home and snowing like being in a carwash.

Love the hero powder!  Great day, with lots more coming.  Time to go warm up the ptex iron from the road back to the lot...

Hey Joe-

That was our group you saw on Crown Point yesterday; nice to briefly meet you.  We followed your path to the saddle of pick and saw you took care of the gully shot into the drainage so we made the short trail break up to pickhandle and grabbed some nice turns on the skiers right line off of the N face of the p-h and finished with the bushwack.

Bring on the winter!  Hope anyone who went out today is extra cautious.

Orion

A pretty busy day for the Bullion area. Allways nice to meet people off the TAY site. As Androolus, Susan, and I were skinning into the basin the north facing slope up on the point caught our eye. When we made our way to the top a couple of boarders were getting ready to dive in. Asked if they had dug a pit.....uhhh...no. Do you have a transceiver???? Uhhh.....no. We're gonna get some next week. Yikes! Turns out that things were pretty solid. Good for them and great for us. Had a fun day except for the lurking low branches off the east side! For Christmas give the gift that gives life. A transceiver and a probe. As for the gift of common sense...some folks are just SOL.

author=orion_sonya link=topic=8340.msg33365#msg33365 date=1196615808]
Hey Joe-

That was our group you saw on Crown Point yesterday; nice to briefly meet you.  We followed your path to the saddle of pick and saw you took care of the gully shot into the drainage so we made the short trail break up to pickhandle and grabbed some nice turns on the skiers right line off of the N face of the p-h and finished with the bushwack.

Bring on the winter!  Hope anyone who went out today is extra cautious.

Orion

Nice to briefly meet you to!
Looked like you were having fun!
That gully was a little washed when we got there, some one had skinned up it, but we were to lazy and cold to keep moving to where you went down. Good job, next time I will chat a little longer if we pass trails again. We wanted to keep moving to take advantage of the weather window. As the Blues Brothers say, "We were on a mission from God!"

Take care,
Joe

Marcus For President!

Always looking North...Pin'

Great day, minus the landmines at the bottom of the road on the way out! A few more pics from Pete's group:

Marcus

Kirsten

Andy

Also posted a short video and more pictures from the day here

Now that rain tomorrow's just gotta leave a little of our snow behind...

Nice work Pete...that looks DEEP!!!

For all those who were in Bullion Basin on Dec 1st, Looking for anyone who would have seen a group 3 snowboarders: 2 on snowshoes, 1 on a splitboard going out for an overnight.  Hoping for a last seen point or any words that were exchanged that would help with the search:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/updates/story/221828.html

shoot me a pm or email if you have anything.

-Thanks.

I saw these guys, can give you details to narrow your search.
Check your PM.
Joe

author=iamaskier link=topic=8340.msg33551#msg33551 date=1196905242]
For all those who were in Bullion Basin on Dec 1st, Looking for anyone who would have seen a group 3 snowboarders: 2 on snowshoes, 1 on a splitboard going out for an overnight.   Hoping for a last seen point or any words that were exchanged that would help with the search:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/updates/story/221828.html

shoot me a pm or email if you have anything.

-Thanks.
The only boarders I saw were the two I mentioned in my post. They were on snow shoes. There was no third split with them. Both of them were younger(early 20's). Time of day was about 1pm Saturday. They made it to the bottom of the run and they headed out. I did not see them in that area again and we were in that area until 3pm or so. I think these guys had a dog with them.

Reply to this TR

december-1-2007-bullion-basin-and-crown-point
Pete A
2007-12-01 20:54:42