Home > Forum > Missing snowboarders last winter???

Missing snowboarders last winter???

More
22 Jun 2008 18:30 - 22 Jun 2008 18:33 #182126 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
All of your efforts putting this together and making this happen is amazing and really shows the heart of TAY. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
22 Jun 2008 19:01 #182127 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

I think you are wrong. I see a whole group of them. Way to go guys.

he·ro Audio Help /ˈhɪəroʊ/ [heer-oh]
–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

Here's a copy of the picture with the names on the photo .

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 19:33 #182128 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Here's a KIRO-TV story that apparently ran Saturday night. They handled it pretty well I think, including an interview with Paul Baugher. There is a video link with file footage of the December search and still photos of the snowboarders:

www.kirotv.com/news/16679043/detail.html

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Jun 2008 20:34 #182129 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

All of your efforts putting this together and making this happen is amazing and really shows the heart of TAY. 

Thanks to Charles Eldridge for providing, maintaining, and moderating this forum which brings us ski partners, parties, and a supportive community in good times and bad.

• ConnorJude
  • [ConnorJude]
More
22 Jun 2008 20:52 #182130 by ConnorJude
Replied by ConnorJude on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I just want to send you and the entire group the biggest thank you I can offer. This last weekend a group of 11 members of your group joined my brother in the search of his best friend's body. Phil Hollins was one of the snowboarders that died in an avalanche this last December. With all your help they were able to find his body and the bodies of his two friends that were with him. I cannot thank you enough for all the closure you have helped hundreds of people feel. But mostly I want to thank you for helping my brother.. He went up to the mountain and joined the search and rescue teams that were looking for the three of them and I know it broke his heart to come off the mountain without his best friend of over 20 years. Well now you have helped him to find his friend which means more than you will ever know. Thank you so very much.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2008 21:14 #182131 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

Thanks to Charles Eldridge for providing, maintaining, and moderating this forum which brings us ski partners, parties, and a supportive community in good times and bad.

Couldn't agree more and I would like everybody to know that Charles contacted me privatley prior to the search and asked if he should create a special pop-up on this site reminding evrybody of the search and encouraging participation. After some thought I declined his offer as I was worried that too many people might show up and the situation become unmanageable.
That was my judgement call and I'll live with it but Charles was extremely gracious and supportive.
Thanks Charles!

• Randy Beaver
  • [Randy Beaver]
More
23 Jun 2008 00:02 #182133 by Randy Beaver
Replied by Randy Beaver on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I'd like to reaffirm Scotsman's point-that the true hero's are Megan and David, and the timeless nature of the love they and others felt for the lost parties was the real lesson of this situation. I can only feel, after witnessing their efforts and determination, unfortunate to have not known Kevin, Devlin, and Phillip in life. The esteem with which their surviving loved ones obviously held them in speaks volumes about what they meant to the world, and the magnitude of loss that their departure was.

Nevertheless, during a weekend in which one of the other headlines in the Seattle PI this morning spoke of "5 dead in separate weekend shootings", I think we all have had a real visceral reminder of a few things-

1) The opportunities we have to do good in the world, and how valuable those are.
2) The importance of brother/sister hood in our little sub culture we call backcountry skiing.
3) The value of each day, and the loved ones who make those days.

I'm honored to have been given the opportunity to participate, and my thoughts are with the families. If you ever have the opportunity to visit the basin, and I hope you do, I hope you'll see it as a unique and beautiful chapel from which to depart this mortal plane. I can only hope when my time comes I'm as surrounded by what matters to me.

• Stugie
  • [stugelmeyer]
More
23 Jun 2008 01:32 #182134 by Stugie
Replied by Stugie on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
All through work today I thought.  I could not do much else.  I thought about the mountains, pure and unbridled.  They call to us, and we answer.  We seek refuge there.  The necessity of the mountains to our souls, as important as blood to our viens, is never fully understood by those who do not hear the call.

Someone I consider to be a close friend once told me that when high in the mountains, seeing a hawk represents the soul of someone whose life was taken by the mountains, but whose soul was a part of them.  Scotsman could hear the hawk's cry - we all wanted to know what it was saying.

Kevin, Phillip, and Devlin were moved by the same passion that engulfs our souls.  What I find to be amazing is that through them, posthumously, a group of individuals with the same goal and the same passion were brought closer.  Much closer.  I want to steal Joe's words, that

there is a sense of bonding that may never be spoken by the searchers, but forever felt by me.  I have now made several lifelong friends in one day that would have taken me a lifetime to make.

Three families and numerous friends found closure.  Three hawks can now be seen in the sky, soaring and screaming, "The mountains are our home!"  The spirit of the mountains cannot be silent.  It rumbles through the glaciers and whispers through the wind.  It screams through the birds and babbles with the streams.  To me, it becomes most appearant when it is felt as the border between life and death becomes very, very, real.  And yet surreal is that which brings people together and allows us to cry in joy and pain, experiencing our very mortality with a spirit that is immortal - seen in those present, and fueled by the spirit of Kevin, Phillip, and Devlin.  We will learn from you and remember you.  Every time I am in the mountains, I will feel your spirit.  Thank you.  Thank you to Dave and Megan, friends and family, for being strong and being sources of inspiration.  The love displayed by all of you for these three has been etched into my heart and soul as that of the purest kind.

I want you to know that Devlin is Irish galec meaning "man of the mountains".  I am planning to take him back up to his cathederal.

And their spirits will be ever-present as we continually head to the "houses where we practice our religion."

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jun 2008 08:13 #182135 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

So I regret that I don't have a picture with everybody in it. I hope it is okay to post this picture as a way for us in the TAY community to send our thoughts to you, the family and friends Kevin, Phillip, and Devlin. Our hearts go out to you.

PICTURED [L-R]: The walkers - Me, zackalope, Andy, Marcus, russ, snoslut, jdclimber, Randy Beaver, Stugie. NOT PICTURED: The skiers - Joedabaker, Kyle Miller, Scotsman. ALSO NOT PICTURED: The ski patrollers - Paul and Lynn Baugher, Jen, Ben, and Allison.

I also, concur that David and Megan's commitment, courage and strength were keystone to us searchers.
Once again, Thanks to all who volunteered and those who wanted to help, but schedules did not permit. Your intentions, thoughts and prayers transformed positive energy into a successful mission.
I had separate pictures of the Crystal crew, but none together.
Here are the skiers-
From Left Kyle_Miller and Scotsman 2nd pic Scotsman and Joedabaker

Attachments:

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jun 2008 08:18 #182136 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
A letter from Dr and Mrs Carter ( Kevin's parents) sent to me the next morning.
Dear Joe,
My wife and I were informed that you had found the bodies of the three boys by Lt. Fajardo of the sheriffs dept. last night. We had been following your web site during the day awaiting any news. Although this is very painful it marks the beginning of the end of our long ordeal. Now we can lay Kevin to rest and begin the healing. The waiting all winter long with the prolonged foul weather has been interminable.

We are extremely impressed with the way your mountain community found a sense of connection with these men that you had never met. You have truly been your brother's keeper and we are humbled in your presence. I hope that you will convey our gratitude to the others on your website.

For our part, we felt the need to do something positive in Kevin's memory. Shortly after returning home from Crystal Mountain my wife and gathered together funds from friends, family and colleagues for a memorial project. Because of their generosity, we were able to purchase a long range avalanche transceiver, helicopter deployed and presented that to the local search and rescue community. It has been in service since April. Next season things will be a little safer for those of you who travel in the back country. In surgery we have a superstition of getting out all of the big instruments, even when we might not expect to use them, just to ward off the evil spirits. May this ward off the evil spirits and we hope it is never used.

We cannot say enough to thank you all for your dedication and courage on the behalf of strangers.

God bless you all,

Stephen and Loraine Carter

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jun 2008 08:44 #182137 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Wow -- thanks for posting that Joe. What a great gift to the community and a wonderful way to remember the lost. I think I'll be wrestling with Saturday in my head for a little while yet, but it was more than worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I hope not to...

• whoziwhatsit
  • [whoziwhatsit]
More
23 Jun 2008 09:11 - 23 Jun 2008 09:27 #182138 by whoziwhatsit
Replied by whoziwhatsit on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
She wanted to say THANK YOU!
Attachments:

• loggerdogger
  • [loggerdogger]
More
23 Jun 2008 10:07 #182139 by loggerdogger
Replied by loggerdogger on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I am the grandmother of loggerdogger and I don't want any of you to not think yourselves as heros.  You will always be heros and angels to me as most other would not have bothered.  You are a very special group and I am glad that there are people like you.  Faith in humanity is restored.  I also have some climbing gear of Devlin's that I would like to give to someone who will use it and appreciate it as much as my son did.  I know there is a rope and other stuff I am not too savey about. 

Much love and eternal respect to such a wonderful group!

More
23 Jun 2008 10:20 #182140 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???

...  I also have some climbing gear of Devlin's that I would like to give to someone who will use it and appreciate it as much as my son did.  I know there is a rope and other stuff I am not too savey about.

Many don't know this but Scotty comes from a rather extensive mountaineering background.  I suspect he could put Devlin's climbing gear to good and hallowed use.

More
23 Jun 2008 11:35 #182141 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
I thought I might share with you folks a rather noteworthy paradigm shift I had today.

You see, I've never cared much for the "Moderator" title that appears under my screen name in my posts.
When Charles started up this forum I agreed to help ,along with Mark, as moderator, but it never occurred to me that I would be "labled" moderator.  I guess I expected that I would be like a "lurking moderator", just kind of helping to keep and eye on things but not publicly recognized as such.

When one day I noticed the title next to my name I was a bit chagrined.  I considered it somewhat of a dubious distinction.  Possibly the feeling came from my aversion to authority and "the establishment".  Or maybe it was because I didn't really do much; especially compared to what Mark did; he was a great moderator.  I even tried to find a way in my personal profile to nix the moderator title.

After some time it got to a point where I actually called Charles and asked him if he could do away with the title for me.  He said that he couldn't; that the software required that the title appear with the name of any member that had access to the moderator functions.  He offered that if I didn't want to help he would let me off the hook.  But I didn't want to abandon him, so I just continued to live with and be mildly self conscious of the "ugly blemish".

Now, thanks to the HUGE contribution of this community to humanity in general and specifically to the families of Kevin, Phillip, and Devlin, it has occured to me that I am openly proud to be called a "Moderator" of this community.  It is an honor and a privilege to be associated with you all.
Thank you all for caring so much about your brethren.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Jun 2008 11:56 #182142 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Missing snowboarders last winter???
Thank you Ron.

Having started this thread, I think the time has come to end it and allow everybody to continue the healing process.

I am asking the moderators to lock this thread if  that is possible to preserve it's integrity.

Participants and family members can continue to communicate through personal messages.

I would like to close with a photo of Kevin posted by his parents. It is entitled final salute and sums it up for me.
serieoro.smugmug.com/gallery/5228738_Z6s74#317608904_rcXLt