Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > 2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit?

2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit?

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Aug 2010 19:25 #193487 by Charlie Hagedorn
2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit? was created by Charlie Hagedorn
Does anyone know if a date's been set for a NSAS this year? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
23 Aug 2010 09:00 #193492 by Powderhino
Replied by Powderhino on topic Re: 2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit?

Does anyone know if a date's been set for a NSAS this year? Thanks!
[Sunday, November 7th at the Flagship REI in Seattle.]

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
28 Sep 2010 16:38 #193961 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: 2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit?

The Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit 2010 - Sunday November 7th
The Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit (NSAS) is a professional development seminar for avalanche workers, and a continuing education opportunity for recreationalists. NSAS is intended for ski patrollers, forecasters, ski guides, search and rescue teams, as well as any number of other occupations that occur on and around snow. The content of NSAS is relevant to professionals and recreationalists alike.
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 from 8:30AM to 5PM at the REI Flagship Store in Seattle.
This years speakers to include:

* Dale Atkins
* Dr. Bruce Jamieson
* Garth Ferber
* Mark Moore
* Rod Newcomb
* Brad White
* Colin Zacharias

Tickets may be purchased at: www.brownpapertickets.com/event/130444
Ticket Pricing~

* Through October 7th: $33.50
* After October 7th: $39.50
* Nov 7th/Day of Event: $45.00

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
28 Sep 2010 16:46 #193962 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: 2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit?
Done! Looking forward to it!

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
11 Oct 2010 13:42 #194200 by trees4me
Replied by trees4me on topic Re: 2010 Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit?
Is there any schedule of topics other than the list of who's speaking? I'm trying to decide if this is worth one of my very precious weekend tokens...

anyone gone to this before that could provide a bit more of a description of what to expect?

More
28 Oct 2010 12:23 - 28 Oct 2010 16:55 #194462 by Monika

Is there any schedule of topics other than the list of who's speaking?  I'm trying to decide if this is worth one of my very precious weekend tokens...

anyone gone to this before that could provide a bit more of a description of what to expect?

Hi!
Here's the current list of topics I got from Michael Jackson:

Bruce Jamieson:       When to supplement observations with digging - a discussion

Brad White:                Rescue Response to the Boulder Mountain Snowmobile Avalanche

Dan Otter:              20/20 Hindsight: Case study of the Kendall Mountain Avalanche

Garth Ferber:          NWAC Forecaster  (Topic tba)

Dale Atkins:           IKAR Search and Rescue  (Topic tba) 
btw IKAR stands for Int'l Kommittee on Alpine Rescue

Colin Zacharias      Decision Making in High-Risk environments 

Dan Otter gave his Kendall Case Study this week at Feathered Friends standing room only.  That alone is worth the NSAS.  I HIGHLY recommend it !  He was incredibly honest.  It raised much thought focusing on the human factor in avalanches.  Applicable for anyone's level of skiing.  And a good way to start the season.

Sure made me think.  We can get away with a fair amount luck sometimes in our choices.  I not only don't want to die doing what I love, I don't want to have a list of 1/2 a dozen serious injuries...

Thank you Dan.
File Attachment:
Attachments:

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
29 Oct 2010 11:57 #194475 by Powderhino
Thanks Monika for letting people know about NSAS.

This year we are very lucky to have arguably the most respected snow research scientist to be found anywhere in the world. Dr. Bruce Jamieson is speaking at NSAS on " When to supplement observations with digging - a discussion". If you have never heard him before than you will be amazed at his ability to make the most complex research easy to understand for professionals and recreationalists alike. Every speaker speaking will offer insights and tips that you will be able to use in your own travels in and around avalanche terrain. Pretty darn unique opportunity to spend a day with the best of the best in the world of snow.

More
01 Nov 2010 08:59 #194531 by JMor
Does anyone have any info concerning the parking in the REI garage? There seemed to be some confusion last year about "pay to park" or validated "free" parking.

More
01 Nov 2010 23:27 #194554 by Monika

Does anyone have any info concerning the parking in the REI garage?  There seemed to be some confusion last year about "pay to park" or validated "free" parking.

I don't know the answer to your question Mad_dog.  But I do know street parking is free on Sundays.

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
09 Nov 2010 09:28 #194731 by Powderhino
I would like to thank everyone that attended NSAS at the Seattle REI this past Sunday. The speaker's were amazing, and their topics kept attendee's on the edge of their seats, myself included. Without our sponsor's, NSAS would not occur, so I would like to recognize their support and let them know how it is appreciated. I look forward to NSAS 2011, and will post information as it becomes available.

Cheers,

MJ