telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
04/24/18, 01:31 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.  (Read 2690 times)
rover
5Member

Re: Stevens pass touring spot for sale.
« Reply #25 on: 01/25/18, 09:52 AM »

Like others, I'm cash poor at the moment with a new little one. But I'd be happy to volunteer environmental permitting services if this does come to fruition. Having a membership basis backcountry spot would be pretty cool.
Skier of the Hood

« Reply #26 on: 01/25/18, 06:24 PM »

If you can get the land, the state has cost-share grants available to help pay for things like parking lots, trail improvements, snowcats, and maybe huts?? (;

Copy pasted from my CB alliance post:
"Currently we have no representation on the Recreational Trails Program Advisory Group <http://www.rco.wa.gov/grants/advisory_committees/rtp.shtml> The pie is sure tasty if we can get a piece of it <https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/projectsnapshot.aspx?ProjectNumber=14-2094> <https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/projectsnapshot.aspx?ProjectNumber=14-1833> <https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/projectsnapshot.aspx?ProjectNumber=14-2104>. In case you didn't know you can search for grants using prism, you will find mucho funds appropriated to snowmobiling and cross country skiing with zero for backcountry skiers."

Someone mentioned possible difficulties with water permitting. Difficulties are unlikely as the groundwater exemption is 5,000 gpd and the wenatchee instream flow rule I believe exempts some amount of new domestic consumptive water use up to a certain cumulative amount (has not yet been exceeded). Could be some county ordinance that might create difficulties with regards to water (when you apply for your building permit) but I doubt it. The new "Hirst" bill (poor disguise for new land use regulations/policies) does not impact the Wenatchee Basin with regards to acquiring domestic quantities of water (at least for the moment). Of course if someone knows otherwise I am always up for learning (:
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/fsvr/ecylcyfsvrxfile/WaterRights/wrwebpdf/essb6091-dpew-map.pdf
« Last Edit: 01/25/18, 06:37 PM by Skier of the Hood » Logged

"As we all know, the true driving force behind every early morning wake up is not necessarily safety, but the overpowering drive to be sitting on a patio by 1 pm, intoxicated, and spraying loudly about the morning's adventure."

-Andrew Wexler 2011
alecapone

« Reply #27 on: 01/29/18, 04:53 AM »

I didn't mean I wasn't interested. Im still looking for property..Just not fit to lead such an effort. Group land deals and legalities aren't my forte. I see free offers of services I didn't even think of yet. Geohydrotechnolegalist?

. I'll offer to drive the plow, and be parking lot host/security.

Using the avenues above, a group like CBA has a good chance of pulling something off. It would be a big step, but great to see.

Do we have any grant writers?

scott
CBAlliance
5Member

« Reply #28 on: 01/31/18, 11:34 AM »

We are looking at this seriously, although it would be wildly above our operational capacity and we promise absolutely nothing. Also, simply acquiring the land would be a huge coup... developing it in any way would be even more difficult, and here's why:

A structure that might work well to purchase the land is something similar to what the Pacific Crest Trail Association did to acquire the other private parcel closer to Stevens pass that was for sale. They raised funds privately to purchase the land, with the understanding that the parcel would be purchased from them by the Forest Service with funds from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. Unfortunately, the LWCF funds were appropriated for firefighting, leaving the PCTA holding the land until at least the next year (with, one assumes, the associated tax burden). They think it is likely that they will get the funds this year.

Unfortunately, the deadline for fiscal year 2019 LWCF project proposals has already passed, so it would be fiscal year 2020 at the earliest. It's also worth noting that with the previous project the PCT access was threatened, which has huge resonance with many donors, whereas losing Jim Hill isn't exactly the shuttering of the Haute Route. Also, the point of the LWCF is that the Forest Service ends up with the land, and we as CBA would just be a placeholder to prevent private acquisition. Thus, we would likely not develop the land in any way unless that would increase the likelihood of acquiring federal funding.

We will look for some way to gauge funding interest but I suspect we will have a very hard time acquiring $1m, even if it is to be paid back through the LWCF.

Hopefully more encouraging news to follow as we look into it more.

cascadebackcountryalliance.org
alecapone

« Reply #29 on: 02/10/18, 05:09 AM »

Lol. Not the haute route?!?

Thanks for looking into that. Was not sure if CBA was aware, but confirmed it with Rowan Stewart. Another hurdle is that area lacks any type of community support.  Nobody has to look at whatever happens to it.

Honestly, I never ride there. In 10+ years, I've only been in that zone once. Parking has not been the deterent. I'm not sure how busy it gets. Maybe a dozen on a busy weekend?  I'm also ignorant on how much available skiing to spread out, and not get overcrowded.

How many parking spaces would be too many for arrowhead/ Jim hill?

« Last Edit: 02/10/18, 05:28 AM by alecapone » Logged

scott
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.