telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/20/17, 12:40 PM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS  (Read 20067 times)
Bill G
5Member

Re: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
« Reply #25 on: 01/16/14, 10:24 AM »

Wow, very sad news.  A similar sense of loss to when Swallow's Nest or Olympic Mountaineering closed their doors.  The loss of amazing staff.  When you asked for advice it was from someone who had just come from some hair-raising adventure where they'd used the very gear they were selling and come out alive.  There are certainly other ways to buy gear - but the quality people is what I'll miss most.

Thank you to all the Marmot staff that have helped me out through the years.

Bill G
andybrnr
5Member

« Reply #26 on: 01/16/14, 10:41 AM »

Sad that it's finally come to this. I have no clue where else in the area has pins and big wall gear in stock, a broad/excellent crampon selection, and the vast assortment of AT gear and skis. I've whiled many hours away discussing the finer points of gear selection with David, Francis and Eric. Not sure what's going to fill the void... My best to all the staff for their fine advice and excellent service over the years.

Andy
wolfs

« Reply #27 on: 01/16/14, 09:19 PM »

Such a bummer. Ski shop  had  the only guys I really trusted to know what they were doing with AT, and many were the times they found something in those magical junk drawers for esoteric fixes or mods. Hope Dave May et al can stick a landing somewhere else around here.

Remember when Swallows Nest closed many years ago, a similar bummer for the scene, although in that case the real hardcore had already written them off after their move out from under the bridge. Losing MMW feels like more of a loss to me than that,  both of resource and for the loose concept of a ski community esp over on the eastside.
Griff

« Reply #28 on: 01/17/14, 06:38 PM »

Let me echo those senitments, and tell one of my favorite stories about my dad:

So it is 1985, and I ask for technical ice tools for Christmas. Only place you can buy them is at Marmot as back in the 80s many times Marmot was your ONLY choice for cool gear, no one else had it.

So for dad goes and buys me two ice tools, and then crosses the street to Bvue mall to shop for my mom. Well, the store has no bags (why would they) and he heads to the mall carrying around two ice tools.......in a suit and tie. How silly that must have looked. LOL.

Thank you Marmot for helping me to get in to AT in 1984.
lernr

« Reply #29 on: 01/18/14, 07:28 PM »

This is a huge loss Sad

I used to hit the website when I was still in FL. Moving to Bellevue several years ago I was so happy to be able to just drop in and chat with Eric and Francis whenever - certainly when I need anything AT and climbing related but also just to kill time while family is at the mall. My wife thinks I've bought a lot from MMW but clearly not enough...

Best wishes to everyone and thank you for the years of service and friendship
Ivo
Scottk

« Reply #30 on: 01/27/14, 02:14 PM »

I will miss the great selection and even better staff at Marmot. They won my loyalty over the years and I never regretted paying a bit extra at Marmot rather than shopping the cheapest online retailer.  I hope the staff can find another place to land or find some way to keep serving the BD skiing and climbing community.  Please let us know if you do!
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #31 on: 01/27/14, 04:30 PM »

We dropped by over the weekend; Marmot's selection is still quite complete. If you need gear, odds are good that they'll set you up well.

flowing alpy

« Reply #32 on: 01/28/14, 07:05 AM »

Thank you Marmot for helping me to get in to AT in 1984.
where and when got my first pair of tech long johns, before they were called base layers.
b
AlpineRose

« Reply #33 on: 02/20/14, 05:42 PM »

As if I needed another reason to mourn the loss of Marmot, I found out they were one of only four - soon to be three - Dynafit Competence Centers in the US.  Any other shop in the area want to step up to the plate? 
Andrew Carey

« Reply #34 on: 02/20/14, 06:50 PM »

not in the area but try cripplecreekbc.com for a shop dedicated to bc w lots of Dynafit; a number of other e-shops.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
PhilH

« Reply #35 on: 02/21/14, 09:06 AM »

Sorry to see a venerable local institution go. I live in Yakima and belong to the Cascadians (our little backwater version of the Mountaineers) and was always amazed at how many members trekked over the hill to buy their gear at MMW.
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #36 on: 03/16/14, 11:41 AM »

At The Mountaineers last evening, Eric and I chatted about the closing of Marmot Mountain Works.

I mentioned some photos I found in my brother Carl's collection of Lock Miller and others at a 1986 Chouinard Equipment ski camp in the Methow Valley, organized through Liberty Bell Alpine Tours. I thought you might enjoy seeing some of these pictures. Very 1980s....

Here's the Liberty Bell Alpine Tours chopper delivering camp participants to Silver Star col:

Here's Lock Miller with first-generation Dynafit boots and Ramer Grand Tour skis. I bought a pair of those skis from Marmot the following year and used them for nearly a decade:

Here's Lock cranking turns high on the Silver Star Glacier:

Here's a skier linking turns below one of the distinctive spires along the Silver Star Glacier:

Here's Yvon Chouinard the following day, near Golden Horn, testing the Tua skis that his company distributed:

Here's a shot of Carl looking suave in his Liberty Bell Alpine Tours guide suit. He's telemarking for some reason. Carl wasn't really a telemarker:   Wink

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 03/16/14, 03:20 PM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
gregL

« Reply #37 on: 03/16/14, 01:16 PM »

Thanks for the blast from the past, Lowell. 80's is right, but the camo look is back!
Zap

« Reply #38 on: 03/16/14, 03:12 PM »

Lowell,   Thanks for posting the photos. I had Liberty Bell Alpine Tours drop us off on Gardner Mt.for a weekend of snow camping and touring. The Ramer gear photo reminds me of the Ramer skis, bindings,skins and poles we bought directly from Ramer at a UT event for Jill and me . We bought all the boots and stuff from Marmot.  Boy, that was a long time ago. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.