Home > Forum > Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS

Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS

More
27 Jan 2014 14:14 #219953 by Scottk
I will miss the great selection and even better staff at Marmot. They won my loyalty over the years and I never regretted paying a bit extra at Marmot rather than shopping the cheapest online retailer. I hope the staff can find another place to land or find some way to keep serving the BD skiing and climbing community. Please let us know if you do!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Jan 2014 16:30 #219957 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
We dropped by over the weekend; Marmot's selection is still quite complete. If you need gear, odds are good that they'll set you up well.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Jan 2014 07:05 #219964 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS

Thank you Marmot for helping me to get in to AT in 1984.

where and when got my first pair of tech long johns, before they were called base layers.
b

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
20 Feb 2014 17:42 #220635 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
As if I needed another reason to mourn the loss of Marmot, I found out they were one of only four - soon to be three - Dynafit Competence Centers in the US. Any other shop in the area want to step up to the plate?

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Feb 2014 18:50 #220638 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
not in the area but try cripplecreekbc.com for a shop dedicated to bc w lots of Dynafit; a number of other e-shops.

More
21 Feb 2014 09:06 #220655 by PhilH
Sorry to see a venerable local institution go. I live in Yakima and belong to the Cascadians (our little backwater version of the Mountaineers) and was always amazed at how many members trekked over the hill to buy their gear at MMW.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Mar 2014 11:41 - 16 Mar 2014 15:20 #221345 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Marmot Mountain Works GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
At The Mountaineers last evening, Eric and I chatted about the closing of Marmot Mountain Works.

I mentioned some photos I found in my brother Carl's collection of Lock Miller and others at a 1986 Chouinard Equipment ski camp in the Methow Valley, organized through Liberty Bell Alpine Tours. I thought you might enjoy seeing some of these pictures. Very 1980s....

Here's the Liberty Bell Alpine Tours chopper delivering camp participants to Silver Star col:

Here's Lock Miller with first-generation Dynafit boots and Ramer Grand Tour skis. I bought a pair of those skis from Marmot the following year and used them for nearly a decade:

Here's Lock cranking turns high on the Silver Star Glacier:

Here's a skier linking turns below one of the distinctive spires along the Silver Star Glacier:

Here's Yvon Chouinard the following day, near Golden Horn, testing the Tua skis that his company distributed:

Here's a shot of Carl looking suave in his Liberty Bell Alpine Tours guide suit. He's telemarking for some reason. Carl wasn't really a telemarker:   ;)

Enjoy!

More
16 Mar 2014 13:16 #221347 by gregL
Thanks for the blast from the past, Lowell. 80's is right, but the camo look is back!

More
16 Mar 2014 15:12 #220951 by Zap
Lowell,   Thanks for posting the photos. I had Liberty Bell Alpine Tours drop us off on Gardner Mt.for a weekend of snow camping and touring. The Ramer gear photo reminds me of the Ramer skis, bindings,skins and poles we bought directly from Ramer at a UT event for Jill and me . We bought all the boots and stuff from Marmot.  Boy, that was a long time ago. :)