Home > Forum > RIP Telemon

RIP Telemon

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
16 Jun 2010 17:48 #192891 by Snow Bell
RIP Telemon was created by Snow Bell
Our community lost an avid telemarker and all around great guy yesterday in a climbing accident on the North side of Mt. Hood.  I extend my deepest condolences to his wife, son, family and friends.

Git down, Brothers and Sisters of the Church of the Telemark..What do you mean it is a turn not a religion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 17:56 #192892 by Pinch
Replied by Pinch on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Bob, I raise a Bigfoot Barley Wine for you. Rest In Peace.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
16 Jun 2010 18:05 #192893 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I always found Bob's trip reports and avid picture taking to be inspiring. I knew there was a lot more backcountry out there to discover and enjoy thanks to bob and people like him who shared their love of the mountains with us all through their trip reports.

RIP Telemon, sincere condolensces to his family

More
16 Jun 2010 18:10 #192894 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Bummer.
A lot of folks here will miss Bob.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Jun 2010 18:13 #192895 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Telemon, or "BC Bob" as he was called by friends in the Peninsula Wilderness Club, was a good man.  We skied together a number of times, and I've visited him in Fort Langley and slept on his floor.  We had talked about some volcanoes this summer.  I'll dedicate the next one I do to you, TeleBro.

• Kyle Miller
  • [Kyle Miller]
More
16 Jun 2010 18:35 #192896 by Kyle Miller
Replied by Kyle Miller on topic Re: RIP Telemon
From what I could tell he seemed like a great guy and someone well liked within the ski community.

My condolences to his family.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2010 18:59 #192897 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I'm in denial and sad. It's hard to fathom that Telemon has passed on.
He was a great contributor to this community. Super enthusiasm for the sport. Sorry I missed a chance to drop a knee with him, he seemed to carry a great spirit around him.
Deepest condolences to his family and friends.
If there is a heaven, I hope he's tirelessly dropping a knee in some of the lightest fluff ever!

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2010 19:07 #192898 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Bob was a great guy and I fondly remember a trip to Elfin lakes and a subsequent day at Baker where I had the privilege to ski with him.
He was a great story teller and talker and an all round good guy who loved his mountains.
I'm very shocked and saddened by his death.
My condolences to his family and close friends.

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Jun 2010 19:12 - 16 Jun 2010 21:53 #192899 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: RIP Telemon
He shared his home with me too, I actually slept in a bed!   And he prepared a fine poached salmon dinner for his wife and me.   I shared an interesting tour on Cheam Peak with him and NickD (the Canadian one), and we chased August snowpatches together on Table Mountain to keep our streaks alive.   His happiness was obvious in the reports of ski tours with his son.

Very sad, but I guess "when your time is up, your time is up."   Hope his family can be happy for his move to a better place, while they mourn his absence.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Jun 2010 19:19 #192900 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Oh no! My deepest condolences to his family and friends. His trip reports have always shown how very much he's loved his family, skiing, and time in the mountains.

I'm not sure there was anyone more dedicated to patch skiing on the North side of Baker...

• stoudema
  • [stoudema]
More
16 Jun 2010 19:32 #192901 by stoudema
Replied by stoudema on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Deepest sympathies and condolonces to the family. Though I never met Telemon, I feel like I lost a friend. This is very sad news.

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
16 Jun 2010 19:34 #192902 by Snoqualmonix
Replied by Snoqualmonix on topic Re: RIP Telemon
My goodness what sad news to hear; I was planning to email him today about conditions on the n. side of Baker.

Inspiring TR's and lifestyle, fun banter about the turn.  

My best regards to his family as they continue on.

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
16 Jun 2010 20:36 #192903 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Good bye, Bob. Thanks for the trips, memories and inspiration. Hang in there Gabe and Mrs. Weibe.

Telemon and I skied together several times around Baker, Stevens Pass and Jim Hill. What a great guy! One time he and Nick spent the night at my house on their way back home after a whirlwind trip of summer volcanoes. He was tired, but still stayed up, regaling our family with tales of climbs and ski trips.

I remember he always sent out a "SPOT" signal letting his wife and elderly parents know he was OK. Just last week me, Bob and several others were emailing back and forth as we planned, then aborted a trip up the south side of Mt. Baker. Here are some of Bob's words that show his thoughtful approach to the mountains, and his loving consideration for his family:

From a June 9th email:
"A couple of days ago my two main concerns were: am I fit enough to climb 7,000+' in one day and is it going to be sunny so I can see the views. Those issues have been resolved but an unusual risk for mid June is worrying me. While the recent new snow has likely covered the crevasses that have stymied my previous attempts to climb Baker on skis, avalanches are now a serious concern. This statement from NWAC www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/5/ is quite sobering. My goal is to summit Baker. I would love to do it with my son and friends this weekend. I can not help but think of the consequences if the unthinkable happened. What do you guys think?

Bob

From a June 10th email:

"Having to make these types of decisions is the worst part of living an adventurous lifestyle for me. My stomach is in knots; I can not help but think about the worse case scenario and what it would do to my family. Hard to tell if I am chicken or clever.

Later,
Bob"

From an email sent by Bob to a group of skiers on June 12th:
"As I mentioned earlier today, I find these decisions kind of gut-wrenching. It is ironic that the sunny weather that I was so hoping for at the beginning of the week is the catalyst for a different negative condition. Next week's weather calls for mostly sunny skies, which may or not mean that the bluebirds will be flying and vista will abound; my guests should get other opportunities to see the PNW volcanoes up close. It is supposed to be significantly cooler on Monday (which means wearing more clothes but less sweating) and lots of brave/stupid/naive/competent/risk-taking (we will know which in a couple days) skiers and climbers will have made lots of "ski cuts" on the Roman Wall, so I would be prepared to delay the adventure by one day and reassess the danger. I haven't heard from Mario yet today, but I believe that he would concur on the side of safety.

After a serious discussion with Lorne this morning, I informed my wife about the avalanche warning. I didn't want to get her upset before I had several opinions about the danger...

Thanks for everyone's patience while we work this out.

Bob

We miss you Bob.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2010 20:45 #192904 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: RIP Telemon
The "last posts" feature on the user profile page is poignant at a time like this:

Latest posts of: Telemon

I never met Bob, but looking through his posts reveals his enthusiasm, his friendliness, his civility, and his safety consciousness. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

• PNWBrit
  • [PNWBrit]
More
16 Jun 2010 20:49 #192905 by PNWBrit
Replied by PNWBrit on topic Re: RIP Telemon
My condolences to all his family and many friends.

• James Wells
  • [Travertine]
More
16 Jun 2010 21:10 - 16 Jun 2010 21:38 #192906 by James Wells
Replied by James Wells on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Wow.  Bob and a bunch of us were making Baker plans for last weekend, which did not come together due to conditions, so he continued on with the rest of his road trip.  This is just a total shock - I can't believe we won't be making plans for July or August turns together on the Sholes.

The details are sketchy in the referenced report, but for anyone who did not know Bob, let me say that he was a careful and safe skier and a great lover of mountain adventures.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jun 2010 21:27 #192907 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Tragic -- my thoughts are with his family and friends. A big loss to our community.

More
16 Jun 2010 21:37 #192908 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: RIP Telemon

We had talked about some volcanoes this summer. I'll dedicate the next one I do to you, TeleBro.

Adams might be appropriate. Bob just emailed me last week for the waypoints for the "secret" :) route to do the SW Chutes from Morrison Creek. Now he can do it easier, sans waypoints.
RIP, Bob.

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
16 Jun 2010 21:40 #192909 by Jason_H.
Replied by Jason_H. on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I've seen his posts for years. I'm not sure I ever met the man, but I feel like I knew him already. It's horrible to lose a close member of the ski community. RIP.

More
16 Jun 2010 21:48 #192910 by Scole
Replied by Scole on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Very deflating to read this. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

• kylemanger
  • [mangerk]
More
16 Jun 2010 21:55 #192912 by kylemanger
Replied by kylemanger on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Sad news, I toured a day with Bob and Travertine in the baker backcountry, hell of a nice guy.
He was so stoked on every turn, yelling all the way down into mazama bowl.  I remember hoping that I would have the drive and passion for the mountains that he did at that age.
RIP Telemon

More
16 Jun 2010 21:56 #192913 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I alway's read his posts,he was a great contributor. Too bad I didn't cross tracks with Bob. Condolences to family and friends.

• sheispiste
  • [sheispiste]
More
16 Jun 2010 22:44 #192914 by sheispiste
Replied by sheispiste on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I'm taking a knee.
Git down.
Get out.
hard to believe.

Bob and I shared a few messages years ago about our shared knee-to-the ski style of tele skiing. I asked if he wore knee pads for such genuflecting and he wrote, "Knee pads? My knobby old knees don't seem to need them. I know, I really should be protecting them. I just starting to guard my gourd this year, though some of my friends would question whether my helmet is really necessary."

May his memory remain a blessing.

• chmnyboy
  • [chmnyboy]
More
16 Jun 2010 22:45 #192915 by chmnyboy
Replied by chmnyboy on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I regret I was never able to ski with him, though I've read many reports. Sad news, RIP

More
16 Jun 2010 23:15 #192916 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: RIP Telemon
This is extremely sad news.  As I've aged, I find myself more affected by the passing of individuals that share some of the adventures I have experienced. 

Just last week, I was copying a Mini DV tape to DVD of a ski tour Jill and I did on Snowdome.  I remember the beauty of the surrounding terrain with icefalls, crevasses and steep walls of snow and ice up high; then a wonderful descent on creamy corn to wildflowers as the snow ended at the trail which would bring us back to the TH.  It can be such a beautiful place, and yet a place where a tradegy can happen.  It just plain old hurts to loose someone we know and who shared our passion for the sport. 

More
17 Jun 2010 00:00 #192917 by NWBCer
Replied by NWBCer on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I'm so sorry. I read many a post by this gent. Condolences to friends and family. Let's not forget to live each day like it's our last.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
17 Jun 2010 00:24 #192918 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Never met him personally but judging from his handle he must have been fun confident guy to be around.
Rip those telemarks up there, Telemon!

• dhoward
  • [just_ducky]
More
17 Jun 2010 01:01 #192919 by dhoward
Replied by dhoward on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I'm so sorry to hear this news.  I only had a chance to ski with Telemon
once, but his enthusiasm for the mountains was obvious.  He whooped
with each turn. :)  He was a wonderful guy to be around.

More
17 Jun 2010 08:31 #192923 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Deepest sympathy to Bob's family and friends at this difficult time.

More
17 Jun 2010 09:08 #192925 by iluka
Replied by iluka on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I met Bob a few years ago. I was meeting up with a friend from Vancouver to do some backcountry touring at Baker and Bob came along for the day. Super friendly, infectious enthusiasm. A year later, I bumped into him in the upper lot at Baker and he still remembered me and my TAY username. So nice to have the opportunity to ski and spend time with such friendly folks.