Home > Forum > RIP Telemon

RIP Telemon

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
17 Jun 2010 10:24 #192936 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Though I never met Bob, after reading his trip reports over the years I feel like I knew him. I'm sorry we never had a chance encounter in the mountains. I feel subdued and have his family, and especially his son, in my thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2010 13:05 #192941 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Condolences to his family, I am sorry for their loss.

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
17 Jun 2010 14:44 #192944 by samthaman
Replied by samthaman on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Wow, I was really shocked to read this. I met him accidentally the other day while he was going up Baker (ski area) with his two European friends. He was extremely encouraging and supportive of me moving out here. I was looking forward to skiing with him a little more.

RIP

More
17 Jun 2010 16:24 #192945 by Matt C
Replied by Matt C on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Shocked to read this news on the CBC today. My last run in with Bob was this past May in Whistler. I will remember his friendly and enthusiastic nature. Condolences to his family and friends.

More
17 Jun 2010 17:44 #192947 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Here's a link to the latest information.

www.katu.com/news/local/96615274.html

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
17 Jun 2010 18:54 #192949 by cmosetick
Replied by cmosetick on topic Re: RIP Telemon
My sincerest condolences go to Gabe, the rest of Bob's family and his close friends.  Despite the danger associated with skiing and climbing on glacier clad volcanoes, I am shocked and deeply saddened to learn of his passing, because of Bob's adherence to safety.

I have had the honor of skiing with Bob on two occasions and he was always a wonderful person to be with.  I too was expecting to Ski with Bob last weekend on Mt Baker, and was looking forward to skiing with him again.  That trip did not happen because of Avi concerns, but the last thing I would expect to hear is Bob not safely making it off Mt Hood less than a week later.  Bob's trip reports and insight into this community will be greatly missed by me.  In fact, I will miss his passion for the Telemark turn and skiing the most.  I find it fitting that the photo of Bob on the home page right now is of him standing with his skis next to rocks in the middle of an August slush cup.  Indeed, Turns All Year.

In his honor, please take a moment to read Bob's Year-Round Skier profile if it's been a while since you have read it:

Year-round skier: Bob Wiebe

Rest in peace Bob.

The mountains and I will miss you.

More
17 Jun 2010 19:16 #192950 by Dave_R
Replied by Dave_R on topic Re: RIP Telemon
A couple of years back Debbie & I came across this guy all decked out for a luau up on Ptarmigan Ridge.  He greeted us with a hearty "Are you on Turns-All-Year?" and I couldn't help but like the guy.

Ptarmigan Sunshine - Sept 19, 2008

If you plan a trip in his memory, you may want to include a loud shirt & toss a lei around your neck.  Rest in peace Bob.

-Dave

• rnbfish
  • [rnbfish]
More
17 Jun 2010 19:57 #192951 by rnbfish
Replied by rnbfish on topic Re: RIP Telemon
very sad news indeed. RIP

• skierlyles
  • [skierlyles]
More
17 Jun 2010 20:36 #192952 by skierlyles
Replied by skierlyles on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Saddening news... My condolences to Bob's wife and son.

Bob- may you have an eternal supply of deep light pow, Mirror Pond, and Black Butte Porter (no border limit for brews on the other side).

I echo each of the prior posts- Bob was a great guy, had contagious enthusiasm, a deep passion and love for the mountains, and was a committed family man. You will be missed by many.

Chris

More
17 Jun 2010 20:45 #192953 by Snodger
Replied by Snodger on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Wow, that's sad. I never met Bob but have read many of his posts. My favorite was his Mt. Cain TR from Feb. I was there the next weekend and when I got home I was going to write a TR about my trip. Instead I was amazed to see there was already one and then pleasantly surprised that he really captured the heart and soul of that little mountain with that post.

I propose the current TAY cover shot be frozen for at least as long as Mike was up there...

• Gary_H
  • [GaryJan]
More
17 Jun 2010 21:02 #192954 by Gary_H
Replied by Gary_H on topic Re: RIP Telemon
A tragic loss, most especially to his family, but also to this community.

Although we never met Bob, he had planned to join us on a trip to Mt Baker last July. I was incredibly impressed by his careful consideration of our plans and how he would fit in. A couple days before our planned departure, he let us know he would not be joining us, instead he was spending the day with his family. It was clear this was not an easy decision for him to make. It was also clear he had his priorities in the right order.

Our condolences to Bob's family; he will be greatly missed ................

Gary and Jan

More
17 Jun 2010 22:26 #192956 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: RIP Telemon
He was just giving me advice the other day...

I feel for his family and friends
Ivo

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
17 Jun 2010 22:40 #192957 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Condolences to Bob's family and friends. Special thanks for this front page, Marcus.

• lapaz25
  • [lapaz25]
More
18 Jun 2010 08:53 #192961 by lapaz25
Replied by lapaz25 on topic Re: RIP Telemon
This comes as a great shock-my deepest condolences to his family. I have enjoyed encountering Telemon on 5+ occasions in the Artist Point area over the last number of years. He has always been a wonderfully infectious skier to be around and I loved his knee to the ski approach (seems to sum much of his life up). He will be in my thoughts. ~Lara

More
18 Jun 2010 08:57 #192962 by JoshK
Replied by JoshK on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I never knew Telemon, but was familiar with the name from his posts on this site. Thanks to all of those who shared stories and memories of him, and my condolences to his family and friends.

• ovrthhills
  • [benthic]
More
18 Jun 2010 10:11 #192964 by ovrthhills
Replied by ovrthhills on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Telemack's signature is particularly poignant as I read the tributes to Telemon. "I know I must one day lose this game I play,
but I still cannot resist to play it as hard as I can."
-Jean-Marc Boivin

I wish I had had the opportunity to ski with him. My condolences to his family and friends.

More
19 Jun 2010 08:48 #192979 by Monika
Replied by Monika on topic Re: RIP Telemon

This is very sad news. My deepest condolences to Bob's family and close friends.
I'm sorry I hadn't yet met Bob.

Does any one know if it was icy as well or just a bad white out?
I'm assuming they were descending, and it was the "Sunshine route" ?
it is especially unsettling someone who was relatively conservative in this activity and with so much experience was involved in such a tragedy.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jun 2010 09:14 #192980 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: RIP Telemon

it is especially unsettling someone who was relatively conservative in this activity and with so much experience was involved in such a tragedy.

I share the same feeling, but could not muster the words.
Questions will linger in the families heads and hearts.
It reminds me that shit happens in the mountains.
You know the balancing one foot stuff that could be a real problem if it gives way.
It's been days and I still feel speechless for his loss, maybe because I see so much of my being in Bob.

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
19 Jun 2010 10:16 #192982 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: RIP Telemon

Does any one know if it was icy as well or just a bad white out?
I'm assuming they were descending, and it was the "Sunshine route" ?

I suspect that we are all waiting to learn about the circumstances of the accident.  More information will probably be available in the coming days.  The only account that I have seen is this post on Cascade Climbers

"The subject was skiing up Snowdome in a group of five. As they got near the top of Snowdome, weather clouds came in and reduced visibility. Snowdome looks like a triangular moraine in that it is wide at the base and narrow at the top. The top of the dome also gets a little steeper on the climbers right. In the low vis, the subject traversed, (out of sight of the others) a little more to the right than normal, unaware of the opening exposure to the Coe Glacier and the slightly steeper incline. At the top of the dome, when the subject failed to appear, the remainder of the party began a search. It appears that he fell while still skining upwards."

This incident serves to remind us of the inherent dangers associated with the sport that we love.  I personally have struggled to reconcile my drive to push my limits in the mountains with my sense of responsibility to my young family.  That this has happened to Bob challenges my thinking (delusion) that if I can check my ego, I can avoid serious injury.  The Mon didn't sport an aggressive, egotistical vibe at all.  His was a style of pure enjoyment mitigated only by concessions for safety.  I believe that he was the only partner that I have skied with who used a PLB.  As Itchy reminded me, he was an Eagle Scout.

More
19 Jun 2010 13:00 #192983 by runcle
Replied by runcle on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I'll miss you Bob even though I've never met you.

More
19 Jun 2010 13:19 #192984 by ryanl
Replied by ryanl on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I just read this and had to pause for a moment. I feel for his family and friends and wish them all hearfelt condolances.

More
19 Jun 2010 15:10 #192985 by sb
Replied by sb on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Terrible news. I only got to ski with him twice, but his enthusiasm made those occasions notable.

More
19 Jun 2010 18:28 #192987 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I am sad to hear that. He was a great presence on this site.

• climberdave
  • [climberdave]
More
20 Jun 2010 07:30 #192988 by climberdave
Replied by climberdave on topic Re: RIP Telemon
:'(

He always had the best Canadian beef jerky, energy for two and a smile on his face.  RIP in peace Telemon; Heliotrope won't be the same without you! 

More
20 Jun 2010 12:42 #192994 by Kenji
Replied by Kenji on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Never met him, but enjoyed his TRs, especially those inspiring late season trips. I'll remember his rainbow cap.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
20 Jun 2010 13:19 #192995 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I am so deeply sad to hear this news. For me, Bob's defining characteristic was his irrepressible enthusiasm--for skiing, for the mountains, for every detail of the wild places he so loved. He brought such an abundance of lively energy to whatever he did that it seems inconceivable I'll never see him again. My heartfelt condolences to Gabe, to his wife, and to all others whose lives he touched.

Walk in peace, wherever you are Telemon.

Mark

• collins2023
  • [collins2023]
More
20 Jun 2010 16:37 #192996 by collins2023
Replied by collins2023 on topic Re: RIP Telemon
I had the pleasure to meet Bob at Stevens Pass a few seasons ago. Bobs posts will surely be missed on this web site.  The ski community lost one of it's greatest advocates. He will be greatly missed by all of us.

• Stugie
  • [stugelmeyer]
More
21 Jun 2010 12:43 #193010 by Stugie
Replied by Stugie on topic Re: RIP Telemon
Wow, after being on vacation and coming back and reading about this tragic event, my heart goes out to his family, friends, and climbing partners. Bob will be missed greatly. :'(

• juan
  • [jon_ambrose]
More
21 Jun 2010 18:33 #193018 by juan
Replied by juan on topic Re: RIP Telemon
A big loss to the TAY community, sincere condolences to his family. Very sad news.

• audiosnob
  • [audiosnob]
More
22 Jun 2010 10:01 #193025 by audiosnob
Replied by audiosnob on topic Re: RIP Telemon
We are blessed to read so many thoughts and condolences in memory of Bob.  To family and friends who only shared his passion for the outdoors through his many storys and pictures, your memories of him and how his adventures touched your life have only reinforced how much he loved to ski.  For everyone of you who has left your heartfelt comments, it has brought peace and incredible gratefulness that Bob has touched so many, in so many ways.

Thank-you.

We will be celebrating his life on July 5th at the Fort Langley Community Hall (the big yellow building on Glover Rd).  Doors open at 6 pm, with the service to start at 7 pm.

The family has set up donations in Bob Wiebe's name through the North Shore Search and Rescue.

Jean, Gabe and Amanda