Home > Forum > Dynafit fo Dummies II

Dynafit fo Dummies II

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
01 Mar 2009 17:01 #186125 by wooley12
Dynafit fo Dummies II was created by wooley12
I'd continue with the previous thread but I have no clue how to add a thumbnail tag.

Ok. I've got them drilled and mounted on the boards. I was very precise in marking the hole locations and used a drill press.

Question 1: set boot/binding heel gap with a 6MM feeler gauge. Am I measuring properly?

Question 2: DIN settings at 6 per the wildsnow.com chart. Should I be able to spin the heel unit by hand with the boot in it. I sure don't want to step out of the binding on a blue groomer.

Thanks,
Wooley
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steadyski
  • [steadyski]
More
01 Mar 2009 17:37 #186126 by steadyski
Replied by steadyski on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
Hi, was just taking my skis out of the wagon, popped the boots in and twisted the heel unit. I get some movement, my binding are set for six vertical and horizontal. I almost never come out of my bindings. I'm 160 lbs, 5' 9".

greg

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
01 Mar 2009 18:34 #186127 by wooley12
Replied by wooley12 on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
Thanks for your reply Greg. I'm completely ignorant about these bindings. I just finished (I hope) mounting them, and stepped into them for my first time ever in a Dynafit. Never even saw anyone use them in person. Gonna watch the youtube "how to" by wildsnow.com and see if I can figure out how the release the heel for climbing without taking the toes out first. I'm sure there must be a way but I'm a mechanic and I don't see it.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
01 Mar 2009 18:55 #186129 by wooley12
Just watched the video again. DOH!! Still would like to here from some more on the heel piece twist question. C'mon. Anyone.....anyone.....anyone?.... Bueller?

More
01 Mar 2009 19:12 - 01 Mar 2009 20:01 #186130 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
I can move mine with my hand, but can't really turn it far enough to get the boot to release. I weigh around 165-170 and have them set on 10, though. Never had a problem with unwanted lateral release, but I also ski most of the time with the toes locked at least a click or two.

PS  Looks like you are measuring the gap correctly - there's no real room for confusion with Comfort/Vertical heels, but if you are measuring a Speed/Classic gap, remember it is 4mm and to measure the gap above the bump. The Dynafit-supplied measuring device  for Comforts has a little tongue that fits between the pins.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2009 19:26 #186131 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
You're doing fine wooley -- I can do exactly what's in your picture with all of my wife's bindings, set at about DIN 7.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
01 Mar 2009 19:41 #186132 by wooley12
Thanks all. I feel better. I'll be making my maiden voyage on Wednesday at the local hill. I already look pretty dorkey with two mismatched ski poles (same length,different color handes and nobody will steal them while I have a brew) and would hate to step out of a binding cause I can't run to fast on one leg.

Wooley

More
01 Mar 2009 21:03 #186133 by cbcbd
Replied by cbcbd on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
Hey wooley, I also have my din at 7 and can do the same. And yeah, the vid for releasing the heel (the Van Halen), that does work.
As you enter your maiden voyage, the only tip I have for a first time, which I learned pretty quickly, is to make real sure that your toe inserts are completely free of ice or snow.

More
01 Mar 2009 21:57 #186135 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
Even more important, make sure no snow or ice is under the "arms" of the toepiece before you step in (click the binding shut and open a few times to get it out, wear gloves while doing this). Also make sure the toe lever is pulled up firmly (four clicks is recommended) before you start up the mountain.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
02 Mar 2009 07:15 #186136 by wooley12
You have all been very helpful. Thanks a bunch. I'll be riding the chair up because I want to maximize the time I have for testing and fiddling with settings and technique. With the "new to me" Scarpas thrown into the mix, should be a full, fun day. Oh, and by the way, I'll also be testing a pair of Karhu Hardbody's that I scored on craigslist last week for $20. I mounted them with Voile 3-pin cables that I had laying around. They'll be powered with my Merrell leather hightops that are older than most of you readers. Might do a trip report as a followup. You'all would for sure beat me skinning up and sliding down but I think I'd win the "giggles per dollar" race

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
02 Mar 2009 09:26 #186137 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II

They'll be powered with my Merrell leather hightops that are older than most of you readers. Might do a trip report as a followup. You'all would for sure beat me skinning up and sliding down but I think I'd  win the "giggles per dollar" race

Are they the old red collar models or are they the white? I have a pair of the reds that I remember buying at the Wilderness House in Boston so many years ago I can't remember. I wonder if they are collectors items now with some value? I figure they will go into my presidential museum some day.

Alan

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
02 Mar 2009 14:36 #186142 by wooley12
Actually they are 100% leather including all of the lining. Inside lining is light tan. They have served me well and continue to do so. Just add a metal "eyebrow" to reinforce the pinholes that I got so long ago I don't remember why. As I have gotten longer in tooth, I have developed a mild case of CRS. (Can't Remember S**t)

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Mar 2009 11:38 #186164 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II

Actually they are 100% leather including all of the lining. Inside lining is light tan. They have served me well and continue to do so. Just add a metal "eyebrow" to reinforce the pinholes that I got so long ago I don't remember why. As I have gotten longer in tooth, I have developed a mild case of CRS. (Can't Remember S**t)

Sounds like a Merrell Ultra (all leather, black outside, tan inside, stiffener in cuff between layers, not excessively tall); my wife is still skiing hers after 20+ years; this year I used some shoe goo to glue the front of the boot to the sole as it had separated; she'll be devastated if they don't work. she started skiing them with Toute Neiges and still skis them with Madshus Voss, Karhu Catamounts, and Fischer Rebounds.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
03 Mar 2009 11:51 #186166 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II

Sounds like a Merrell Ultra (all leather, black outside, tan inside, stiffener in cuff between layers, not excessively tall)...

I have a pair of Asolo boots similar to the Ultra that you describe. They came as laceups, but I took them to Dave Page and had him add two buckles, which vastly improved them. As I have said in the past, they were the best boot I have ever had. I could hike for miles in them, very comfortable, and yet they had enough control for Tua Heliums and Toute Neiges. Did the long approach hike to Ruth Mtn. in them and had a great descent as well.

The nostalgia is almost making me wish I was free heeling again. Almost....

In any case, I am sure a good cobbler could save your boots.

Alan

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
03 Mar 2009 13:21 #186168 by wooley12
As a matter of fact, I bought a pair of Karhu Hardbody's mounted with the white Voile 3 pi bindings for $20 off craigslist last week and for $10 more the guy threw in a pair of Merrells  with a black fabric cuff that fit my wife to a tee. She has some ankle issues and I'd been looking for something more stable to  keep her trips with me more enjoyable. I swapped out the bindings with my Voile 3 pins with cables that I had mounted on some 1st year issue XCD's and use mostly for eastern hardwoods bushwacking.

So, my plan is to take the newly mounted Shuksans and the Hardbody's to the slopes tomorrow and have a ball testing them out. I have tele'd the XCD's there before on the black diamond there ( equal to a Snoqualmie blue) when the snow was soft and my legs were 10 years younger. It'll be interesting to see the difference in the skis and me.

Sounds like you might be interested in joining the back country ski club I want to start when I move out west in a year. Thinking of calling it the "No sweat-Low Adrenaline Ski Club" Our motto will be " If you cant stop for a view and a brew on the way up, why go? You know, a little bit more laid back european style. Cheese, wine, snow... Kind of the opposite of the guys I've skied with in my trips to the Cascades. The ones with the $200 carbon fiber shoelaces ,$600 magnesium buckle upgrade and the $150 performance fabric (we used to call it polyester and wear it to the disco) undershirt. The ones who can't enjoy a ski unless it's a life threatening experience.

If you want to say Hi, take a look at some of my posts with pictures of my son and I.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=12397.0

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...51.msg51691#msg51691

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
03 Mar 2009 20:41 #186183 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II
Dynafits near Rochester, I never knew that was allowed!

But seriously, everything looks great so far. And if you want to hook up for some post-operational-season skinning at Greek Peak (yeah, long drive for you), let me know, since I'll be there around mid-April for my father's 80th birthday. (He taught me and my brother how to ski, although he doesn't quite understand this skiing w/o lifts thing.)

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
04 Mar 2009 19:01 #186193 by wooley12
Mid April you say? hmmmm. So happens my wife will be in Seattle then with the kids, leaving me free to to be free. Not sure there will be snow but we shall see. PM me before you head east.

Just got back from my maiden voyage at Bristol Mountain with the Dynafit/Shuksan combo. Awesome!! Conditions were great. 20 deg in the am hitting 35 at noon and lots of sun. Surface was North East powder. Sort of like what you would find on and NHL rink just before they bring out the Zamboni. No problems at all with the bindings and the skis just rocked on ice. We created quite a stir with the Orange Scarpas and the "what the hell IS that?" bindings. Lots of great conversations on the lift. The Karhu Hardbody/leather Merrell setup was not so good. Uncontrollable on the firm snow/ice. Couldn't gain an edge. Good adrenaline rush knowing they might spit me off at any time. A real thigh/ankle burner. I'm sure that all they need is some real snow to work.

I really want to thank all of you who guided me through this. Could not have done it without your tips and encouragement. The mounting came off without a hitch. The holes all lined up perfectly. Having a drill press in the basement helps a lot. After I had them mounted up, to my eye they didn't look properly located fore and aft on the ski. A quick call to Pro Guide Service in Seattle calmed my fears. Thanks Adam.

PS - I hope you high tech skiers with the expensive gear did not take offense at my previous comment. I love you guys. Please keep buying the best and the latest. I'll be looking for your cast offs to turn up on TAY or Craigslist. Without you leading the way I'd be toast.

• Aaron_Riggs
  • [Aaron_Riggs]
More
05 Mar 2009 09:44 #186196 by Aaron_Riggs
Replied by Aaron_Riggs on topic Re: Dynafit fo Dummies II

We created quite a stir with the Orange Scarpas and the "what the hell IS that?" bindings. Lots of great conversations on the lift.

That's funny Wooley. I was loading Ch 2 at Alpy the other day and the liftie said "what are those?" pointing to my Dynafits. I quickly said that it's a touring binding and he replied, "You can ski on those???" I didn't have time for a witty answer so I said yes and thanks for the chair and went on my merry way.

Hope to see you next time you're out West. I'll make sure your "young friend" doesn't take us out over our heads.