telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/26/17, 03:43 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Seattle PI article
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seattle PI article  (Read 25406 times)
Scotsman

Seattle PI article
« on: 06/23/08, 08:04 PM »

I just read a Seattle PI article about the search and although the reporter got most of it right, there are some mistakes that I want clarify.

She contacted me this afternoon after being given my contact info from another poster. She was polite and asked many questions that I tried to answer. I told her to read the thread  and tried to stress what I thought important, namely the heroic efforts of David and Megan. She wanted to send a photographer to take my picture I declined. She wanted to use the photos on the thread and I told her Lowell and Joe would need to be contacted to get permission. She got in touch with Lowell and after speaking to Joe I gave her Joe's number.

In an e-mail Lowell sent me and copied to her we stressed she needed to read the thread and ensure accuracy. She replied she would.

To correct her report.
1) There where searches after they went missing and I believe members of  Crystal patrol went  out there as well as the heroic efforts by Dave and Megan and others. I didn't say there hadn't been any searches.

2) I did not call the Sheriff,  Jen,  the patroller called Paul of Crystal Patrol and he called the Sheriff. I did contact Devlin's parents from the ridge.

3) I do not remember telling her about the corner of the tent sticking out and although I think that the finders at first thought there was a tent, they where in bivvy bags with no tent.

4) I tried to stress that there was no leaders amongst the TAY group but a true collective effort and point her in the direction of the true heroics of David and Megan but I guess any future career aspirations as a White House Spokesman are now in jeopardy.

Most of the conversation was a rushed affair conducted at work and I apologize if any of the inaccuracies or spin she put on it offends anybody. In retrospect I regret taking her call and I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
Stugie

Re: Seattle PI article
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/08, 08:20 PM »

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/368128_snowboarders24.html

Well written.
« Last Edit: 06/23/08, 08:25 PM by Stugie » Logged

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Joedabaker

« Reply #2 on: 06/23/08, 09:44 PM »

I apologize if any of the inaccuracies or spin she put on it offends anybody. In retrospect I regret taking her call and I'm a bit out of my depth here.
Don't sweat it bro, it is nicely written, but it's rushed reporting.
The real story has many aspects and words may never do it justice. The essence of the real story is the feeling and timing. Like a perfectly played concierto, ups and downs and moments that can bring tears to your eyes.
Glad you were the spokesman for the crew.
But they needed to put your accent in writing to make it special.
Don't feel sorry-
Bottom line is there is closure for the family, it is better to deal with the pain again for a short while rather than eternally wondering what happened to the men.

Randy Beaver

« Reply #3 on: 06/23/08, 09:50 PM »

The real story has many aspects and words may never do it justice. The essence of the real story is the feeling and timing. Like a perfectly played concierto, ups and downs and moments that can bring tears to your eyes.
Glad you were the spokesman for the crew.
<B>But they needed to put your accent in writing to make it special.</B>

Preach it, Joe, preach it! Wink Amen

The mountain might get 'em, but the law never will
JW

« Reply #4 on: 06/23/08, 10:18 PM »

yes a good article and though I didn't have a chance to respond to the other thread I feel lucky and proud to be apart of such a great community....thanks to all....Jerry

"You keep skiing, I'll keep filming"
jdclimber

« Reply #5 on: 06/23/08, 11:02 PM »

Indeed, not a bad article as media goes. Nothing in there needs to be taken back.
Seems as though the media folks just don't get it. For example Media today includes both Blogs and Message Boards, a Media person should know the difference, I mean, I know the difference between a TV newscast and a newspaper. More than once I have wondered if they could use a "free" advisor/consultant just to keep them from messing up the facts and the reality of the mountains and the world (things like basic laws of physics such as gravity seem to be mysterious at different times for some of the media folks).

I noticed the URL for T.A.Y.  is listed in the article. There will no doubt be some new visitors in the next couple of days. While most will be friendly, a few will be looking to paint us as bunch of nuts (not in a good way). Let's refrain from giving them any ammo. The current "Mountains to die for" TR thread is pretty nuanced for the unrefined.  They will be gone in a couple of days.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, not my intentions.
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: 06/24/08, 07:59 AM »

You did great Chris -- it's hard to get any TV or newspaper interview to actually come off reflecting the facts 100%.  To my mind, all of the errors made were harmless and/or simplifications to make the story easier to read.  For us, it's unusual to be on the other side of the story, knowing all the facts.  Nice job.

And yeah, they really need the accent for dramatic effect.

EDIT -- just picked up a copy when I got my morning coffee.  Nice article and she managed to scavenge a tiny picture of Chris' mug from one of the pics in the thread.
« Last Edit: 06/24/08, 08:23 AM by Marcus » Logged
Andy
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 06/24/08, 09:20 AM »

I’ve always been appreciative of how precise yet respectful TAY posting come across to me.  It seems indicative of the thought behind your words and deeds.   So Scotsman, I’d second Joe’s feeling on being our spokesman. You did a great job! Given the short timelines for publishing, I thought the article was well written plus just nice to read positive news for a change.   

Also, thanks Lowell for taking that picture.  I always feel relieved upon reaching my car but that moment carried a sense of poignancy and reward far greater than any trip I’ve ever done for myself.  The fact that you captured our expressions, frozen in time, is something that I will always reflect upon. 

Andy
Charles

« Reply #8 on: 06/24/08, 09:58 AM »

I think you did a great job, Chris! To me the article is really about the searchers and how you all came together to look for people you didn't know, but nonetheless with whom you felt a bond. That there were a few errors in the specifics is less important than the fact that the group's generosity came through in the reporting. In the type of interview you had with the reporter, one takes their chances, and I think things turned out well. I'm with Jerry - thankful of your efforts and proud to be associated with this community.
Mikey Fleetfoot
1Member

« Reply #9 on: 06/24/08, 12:35 PM »

To the people that went to the mountains to help bring my friends home , i do not have the words to convey my thanks. i worked with 50 and 14 , Phil and kevin for a bit. phil was my lead driver, he was known as the man with 3 brains. phil helped me when i wanted to quit he took the time to talk to me and help me see my strength and weakness , This is a man that would take the ime to talk about any thing with you. I dont make friends easy and call even fewer brother .  Thank you for bringing my brother home..

mikey

50 may you packages never be late

Scotsman

« Reply #10 on: 06/24/08, 01:45 PM »

This morning I was contacted by a producer for the Ron & Don show on 710 Kiro wanting to do a piece on the search. I told them I didn't want to do it ( they would never understand my accent anyway). I then spoke to Joedabaker and said I didn't want to make a unilateral decision for the group and asked him to consider going on.

The producer contacted Joe and he reluctantly agreed to go on and tell the story.
It is scheduled for today at 4.00PM, 710 KIRO.

Poet Laureate of TAY.
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
russ

« Reply #11 on: 06/24/08, 02:31 PM »

Maybe some little understanding of our sport and what drives us will come out of this. Either way I'm sure Joe will do a great job of representing the community.
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: 06/24/08, 02:39 PM »

Joe will do us as well on air as you did on paper Chris.  I may have to run home early to listen to the show.
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: 06/24/08, 04:31 PM »

Wow...  great job Joe.  You held yourself together well and gave a great accounting for the day.

I managed to record it and I'll try to splice it into a file that can be emailed around, if anyone wants to hear it and didn't have a chance. 
Nate R
5Member

« Reply #14 on: 06/24/08, 04:34 PM »

Ditto, great interview Joe.  You represented well.  I know the media attention surrounding this wasn't expected, and everyone has done a wonderful job of sticking to the heart of it.  And I loved your honesty when you said that you needed closure on it, too. 
Scotsman

« Reply #15 on: 06/24/08, 04:35 PM »

Well done Joe. Your compassion and empathy for the families came across so strongly.
I'm so proud you are my friend.

Poet Laureate of TAY.
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
russ

« Reply #16 on: 06/24/08, 04:40 PM »

Great job Joe! It's not easy to keep it together in front of the microphone and you did a awesome job.
jdclimber

« Reply #17 on: 06/24/08, 04:50 PM »

Solid work Joe.
KIRO 710 has online mp3 archives from all shows. I'm sure this one will be no different and will be posted in the next couple of hours.
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: 06/24/08, 05:09 PM »

Solid work Joe.
KIRO 710 has online mp3 archives from all shows. I'm sure this one will be no different and will be posted in the next couple of hours.

Heh -- that figures.  Right after I finished stitching together a .wav...
Boot

« Reply #19 on: 06/24/08, 06:15 PM »

Love the Ron & Don Show and you were great on there Joe.  It's a tough, short format, but you got er done.  Nice job!
Stugie

« Reply #20 on: 06/24/08, 06:20 PM »

It hasn't posted yet, but THIS is where you will be able to access the show when it does post.

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
ron j

« Reply #21 on: 06/24/08, 06:56 PM »

I heard it, Joe...
You done us proud.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Mad_Dog

« Reply #22 on: 06/24/08, 07:03 PM »

Great job with the interview Joe.

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Larry_Trotter

« Reply #23 on: 06/24/08, 07:59 PM »

Good Interview:
http://icestream.bonnint.net/seattle/kiro/2008/06/06242008195845.mp3

Very informative.  Thanks Joe, for taking that on.   May God be with you.
Randy Beaver

« Reply #24 on: 06/24/08, 09:51 PM »

Joe, thanks for taking on the "burden"of telling the story on the radio.

It's so strange, to me, that this story has blown up as much as it has.

Not that it's not a compelling one, but I guess I'm personally suprised that the sense of community we take for granted, or at least I feel, with other BC folks,  is maybe not as evident in wider swaths of society? I don't know, that seems to be the element that is motivating a lot of the coverage. Anyway, regardless, way to tell it with the understated dignity it all deserves. I don't know what to say, but I hope to see you on a skin track soon Wink

PS You are a true gentleman, and that came through int he interview, which is not light praise. As I remember it there were a couple snow boarders there, however.....we'll be in front of your house with pitchforks!

The mountain might get 'em, but the law never will
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.