Tele boot suggestions

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Nov 2010 09:47 #195056 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
Thanks Joe -- your assessment of the touring is what I was most concerned about with NTN. I'm still holding out for a lighter weight, greater tour-range option for now, I guess. Maybe I can demo some this year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
29 Nov 2010 11:55 #195063 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
Hey Joe, any comments on the release settings?  Did that seem to work correctly?  And do I understand correctly that you have yours set up with the "frankentele" option of dyna fit and free heel?

Mike and Brenda - how does Brenda like them now that she's toured with them? 

Thanks for the reviews.

More
29 Nov 2010 13:15 #195065 by md2020
Replied by md2020 on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions

Mike and Brenda - how does Brenda like them now that she's toured with them? 

I had my doubts as to whether she'd like them, but after three tours, I don't hear her wanting her old gear back. She seems genuinely excited about the system. Never having to bend down for anything, except when you need to put the skins on, is a much bigger deal than I could have ever imagined. Raising and lowering the heel piece, transition to and from tour mode, step in. Everything is so easy. I'm not sure I completely agree with Joe's assessment of the tour mode. I know it doesn't have the greatest range, but it's enough. And any spring tension in tour mode, I can barely feel it. My main complaint is weight, but it's not much worse than some other tele binding/boot combos. In fact, compared to my old T1s my TX pros are close to 1.5 lbs lighter. So it's really a wash. Release function could be more reliable, as it's based on spring tension. We're using softer springs at moderate settings so I feel a bit better about it. The only real problem I've had is at the resort on firm snow they make me ski way too fast. :)

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Nov 2010 17:10 #195073 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
^^^^^^
Like Mike says-Getting into and out of a NTN tele binding has never been easier. So simple!
Mike, Do you think that since your using a softer spring that the tension is decreased in the tour mode, possibly making it less of a chore than my wound up blue springs? Because even though the tour mode is pulled up, the spring is still active the real difference is that the plate that touches the very tip of the toes on the boot now is active to rotate with the entire plate.
I compare my touring mechanisms available to me, and the NTN in my spring tension is marginally enough to make the tour mode worth it, compared to the o1, Switchback or Dynafit it's not even a contest on what is simpler to use in a tour mode.
I have read that getting a spring higher than what you need set to lower setting is better than getting the spring that fits your coefficient and cranking them up. In general, our users agree that the binding skis better with stiffer springs set with a low preload, than with softer springs at a high preload. Here is a link to that info .
I did go out and do some test runs at lunch today. I adjusted the boots back on the skis so the boot was 1cm back of mid boot and they skied much better today. Still a little quirky at times and may take a little getting used to the transition timing so my hand does not come around to far on a few turns, but nothing like yesterdays runs.

Hey Joe, any comments on the release settings?  Did that seem to work correctly?  And do I understand correctly that you have yours set up with the "frankentele" option of dyna fit and free heel?

I have not tested the release features yet on the hill, since I have not taken the egg beater fall yet. Just a lot of three point, outrigger turns or knuckle in the snow pivots. I want to test them but don't want to torque my knee trying to knock them off. ;)
I do notice that my trailing ski occasionally hits the ski brake in transition, throwing me off a little bit.
I don't have the Frankentele set up on these. I am just crossing the Scarpa Tx-Pro to my Dynafit touring skis. There is a toe shim that comes with the boots that you can put where the crampon goes on the Dynafit toe slot. It's effective, but there is a lot of forward lean due to the ramp angle being to much in that set up.

More
29 Nov 2010 19:03 #195043 by md2020
Replied by md2020 on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions

Mike, Do you think that since your using a softer spring that the tension is decreased in the tour mode, possibly making it less of a chore than my wound up blue springs? I compare my touring mechanisms available to me, and the NTN in my spring tension is marginally enough to make the tour mode worth it, compared to the o1, Switchback or Dynafit it's not even a contest on what is simpler to use in a tour mode.

I don't think so. I've toured with the blue springs and it's the same with them in tour mode. To me it feels like zero resistance in tour mode. I'm no expert, but I don't think the springs engage much in tour mode, since the toe stop being dropped doesn't force the flexing of the sole which stretches the cable in ski mode. When you say "marginally enough", what are you comparing to? NTN in ski mode? I can barely raise my heel in ski mode. I don't have a lot of experience with the other bindings, and none with dynafit, but I'm told they have greater range of motion.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Nov 2010 20:22 #195082 by Joedabaker
When I say marginally enough. I mean that it just does enough to make it tolerable in tour mode. A clean kick turn is pretty important to me especially on a steep exposure. I don't get that with the NTN.
To me it feels like touring in a o2 binding where there is a lot of resistance. I respect your experience as a tourer, but there is just way to much resistance for me to consider it a go to for a big day.

• powtothepeople
  • [powtothepeople]
More
29 Nov 2010 21:03 #195084 by powtothepeople
Replied by powtothepeople on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
Joe, out of curiosity, how long did you tour with the O2's? I did it for two years and just about crapped myself when I switched to the 7tm power tours, so much better. Until that point I didn't really know what a kick turn was... I'd just cram the tail into the snow under my downhill ski and fake it. It's hard for me to imagine the NTN performing that poorly. THanks

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Nov 2010 21:23 #195085 by Joedabaker
Not long-Yeah the 02 was a b-ch.

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
29 Nov 2010 21:28 #195086 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions

...when I switched to the 7tm power tours, so much better. Until that point I didn't really know what a kick turn was...

I just did the same thing - I've been touring with Hammerheads, and always too lazy to adjust the under foot setting. The 7TM Power tour makes a pretty amazing difference in tour mode. I wish it was easier to switch (ski pole etc.) I like the 7TM alot, already. How have you found it?

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
29 Nov 2010 22:00 #195088 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
Thanks for the reviews on NTN, boys. Good to get the lowdown from sources that aren't selling.
I'd like to know more about tour effiency from you-all as you use them. I was becoming very persuaded for sometime in the future....

• powtothepeople
  • [powtothepeople]
More
30 Nov 2010 14:51 #195122 by powtothepeople
Replied by powtothepeople on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
Rusty, I've been skiing the 7tms for about 4 years now and still love them. For now, I won't consider another binding for touring b/c of the range of motion touring, and reliability. That and b/c its not too active its nice and surfy. I might consider something else for bigger skis. It's a bit PIA to switch, but it works and doesn't ice. I've skied them mostly in the Tahoe and WA Cascades, where I think icing can be a bit worse due to the heavy snow and changing temps. PS- Im 6'3" 180, and have them set at 8 on the din and have had only one release (buried stump next to Alpy cat track), and have never thought it should have otherwise.

More
14 Jan 2011 20:26 #196598 by Hayduke
Replied by Hayduke on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions
I'm skiing T2Xs, 01s on Coombas. I just switched from Atomic Kongurs to the Coombas and this past week skied a few days in the BC north of Pemberton, BC in some bottomless powder and loved the floatation of the Coombas. I also like the light weight T2Xs, and they seem strong enough to drive the skis, but I have not been inbounds yet (my pass is at Crystal).

My buddy just switched to Rando gear, and honestly he seemed so dialed in, I don't know if I will buy tele gear again. But I love the tele turn. Been doing it way to long to give it up.

Any thoughts? Usually I'm driven by what's on sale and I think with the Coombas (which I picked up for $300) I have finally entered the new world of fat skis. I plan on skiing everything in them.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Jan 2011 21:27 #196601 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Tele boot suggestions

Holy cow.  This thread is on track for less time than it takes for me to yard sale on a double diamond.  Any other suggestions out there?

Yeah, just for fun,  for your bc powder skiing give some serious thought to Dynafit TLT5 Mountains, Vertical STs, and Manaslus--you might find the the whole setup to weigh so considerably less and break trail and climb so much easier than heavy duty tele gear--and in looking at the weight of the Mountains, deduct the "downhill booster tongue" you won't need it. But you may be too young for AT (after telemark) gear.