Home > Forum > Throne Traverse Construction Project

Throne Traverse Construction Project

• Team Wally
  • [Team Wally]
More
03 Dec 2009 20:49 #215190 by Team Wally
Replied by Team Wally on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Same to you. For a guy with his first pair of Alpine boots you Casey Jones'd very well.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• climberdave
  • [climberdave]
More
03 Dec 2009 21:08 #215191 by climberdave
Replied by climberdave on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Nicely put Mr Wally, nicely put!!

More
07 Dec 2009 09:07 - 07 Dec 2009 14:03 #215205 by Bandit
Replied by Bandit on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
"The decision to apply for the Throne Traverse  improvement was simply that. Improve skier safety and access to what is currently inbounds. CM has received comments from guests as well as staff on the sometimes ugly conditions and has responded appropriately."

Quote from Team Wally

Thanks for the common sense comments. You probably know the mountain more than any one.

As a lift operator, and working the top of Ch 6, I am wholly in favor of some improvements. Trying to add snow to the off ramp, to make unloading more efficient and safe is like working on an eagles nest. Not only will it add safety to the skiiers it will add safety to the lift ops.
My job is to get the riders on and off the lifts in a safe manor. Anything that will help that effort , I'm in favor of.

After watching riders slip and slide over rocks and ice to get to the SB, I was thinking what a great idea the Throne Traverse is.

Don't tell anyone , but personally I like the Powder Bowl side. Traverse the back side , hit the ridge and pick a chute. All powder, styrofoam, chalky goodness you can handle. Oh oh, I think I just let the cat out of the bag. Oh well. That's part of my job also. Is to let people know where the goods are. ;D

Stay warm and have a great day skiing one of the best resorts in the PNW.

More
07 Dec 2009 10:40 #215209 by Bandit
Replied by Bandit on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
"please feel free to sign up for the Mountain Challenge comps"

Is there a category for "50 and over age group"? ;D

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Dec 2009 19:04 - 07 Dec 2009 20:00 #215210 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project

"please feel free to sign up for the Mountain Challenge comps"
Is there a category for "50 and over age group"? ;D

www.outdoorresearch.com/site/vertfest_race_division.html
or are the Mountain Challenge comps something different?

• Team Wally
  • [Team Wally]
More
07 Dec 2009 23:40 - 08 Dec 2009 00:06 #215211 by Team Wally
Replied by Team Wally on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Mtn Challenge is a bit different from VertFest. The event is sanctioned by IFSA (founded by Shane McConkey) Each competitor is free to pick his/her line within the venue, ie Throne Chutes, Northway Peak, The King. Participants are judged on line choice, control, form/technique, aggression and fluidity, The judges are looking for a skier who picks a challenging line then executes with no falls, hip checks etc. the Crystal event is a World Tour qualifier. 1st place is qualified for the Freesking Nationals at snowbird and future events. Sample . Any takers ? only 2 divisions Jr and Sr, men and women. Good luck.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
04 Sep 2010 19:08 #215945 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
...is there an update ? ... i was only aware of the new gondy and park for 2010 summer improvements...

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
19 Sep 2010 12:45 #215946 by Keith_Henson
Replied by Keith_Henson on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project

...is there an update ? ... i was only aware of the new gondy and park for 2010 summer improvements...

Haven't seen a word about it in the crowing about the improvements on Crystal website and I asked Keith Rollins about it earlier this week and he didn't think that this project got done this summer. Though they have had their hands full with the other projects.

I heard that Martin Rand is opening a boot fitting service at Crystal.

Anybody heard about a memorial service for Mr. Magoo?*

*Mr. Magoo was the popular run which is now the location of the new terrain park.

• BillyTheMountain
  • [BillyTheMountain]
More
31 Oct 2010 21:21 #215953 by BillyTheMountain
Replied by BillyTheMountain on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
This whole thing sounds like the classic ENTRANCE TO NASH at Alpental problem.
In the last few years they have proceeded to "create" a trail into the top of Nash and it DID seem to help, at least the snow was not scrapped off right away, it took a few hours longer.
Also they blasted rock away on the entrance to Rollen at Alpental and I would say, with devastating consequences. The snow will not stay on the slope well at all, let nature do her job I say, or you'll end up with a much worse traverse.
Also, I have never heard of ANY PERMIT or any permit process for these projects in the Alpental high-country and they seem to be just on-going from year to year.
I mention all this because it surprises me that they have ANY permit process concerning this at Crystal Mountain. (Do you guys also have indoor plumbing?)
My take on it is do not let them do it because it wipes out the interesting and creative ways the mountains play with us and makes skiing the great sport it is, not a bottom-line operation. This type of development takes the SPIRIT out of the mountain itself and we are left with and handing down...this compromised and fake mountain.

"You can't fool the mountain pilgrim."
Bear Claw from the movie Jerimia Johnson.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Nov 2010 10:22 #215954 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Although I agree with you about not improving the catwalk but for different reasons, I can't really understand your logic regarding leaving it as nature intended.
It's already been compromised... there's a shed, a lift station , gabion baskets etc. It's already fake!

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Nov 2010 11:09 #215955 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Yeah...
And quit all that grooming it's destroying the crust layer on the sunbake.

• BillyTheMountain
  • [BillyTheMountain]
More
02 Nov 2010 00:24 - 02 Nov 2010 00:28 #215956 by BillyTheMountain
The entrance to NASH also serves a VERY IMPORTANT purpose....it is a natural people filter, and it works!
The rocks and steepness keeps the intermediate skier's out of that entire side of the mountain. (Hail Schluct)
I have a feeling that (the rocks) on Crystal's SB Traverse does the same, get rid of that filter, and you will (also)be closing it to rescue14 year old kids off the SB slopes. Plus it will obviously be skied out quicker.

On the other hand...it might be just fine and dandy! Blast away!

Snow is the sound of my JAZZ.
BTM

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
02 Nov 2010 09:12 #215957 by Keith_Henson

I have a feeling that (the rocks) on Crystal's SB Traverse does the same, get rid of that filter, and you will (also)be closing it to rescue14 year old kids off the SB slopes. Plus it will obviously be skied out quicker.

On the other hand...it might be just fine and dandy! Blast away!

BTM

I guess that's what it boils down to. It's hard for you to know because you have never been on the top of the High Campbell.

Please come and pay our resort a visit. Then I'd love to hear your opinions.

• BillyTheMountain
  • [BillyTheMountain]
More
02 Nov 2010 14:55 - 02 Nov 2010 15:02 #215958 by BillyTheMountain
Who said I have never been there? I have skied Crystal since my very first day skiing (opening day 1970 Crystal Mountain.)
Your comment baffles me....WTF are you talking about? I have skied Crystal many times, please point out to me where it says I have never been there!
I am very good friends with Gus and many others at Crystal.
I doubt that you care about my thoughts or comments so stop the BS...brown shoes.
I used to think that Crystal was so cool and the people were like gods but now I see you have your share of dips and flatlanders also.
Anyway it does not matter......They have fast-tracked the decision to go ahead with this project so this is all for nothing. Its to late.
BillyTheMountain

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Nov 2010 16:08 #215959 by Scotsman

Who said I have never been there? I have skied Crystal since my very first day skiing (opening day 1970 Crystal Mountain.)
Your comment baffles me....WTF are you talking about? I have skied Crystal many times, please point out to me where it says I have never been there!
I doubt that you care about my thoughts or comments so stop the BS...brown shoes.
I used to think that Crystal was so cool and the people were like gods but now I see you have your share of dips and flatlanders also.
Anyway it does not matter......They have fast-tracked the decision to go ahead with this project so this is all for nothing. Its to late.
BillyTheMountain

Billy you had me at "brown shoes". Billy..... you complete me. I'm not a god Billy... just a human like you.
I think you have a great career ahead of you on this website, welcome Billy.. you are a beath of fresh air.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Nov 2010 16:20 #215960 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Welcome to the site, Billy.

If you didn't read the Terms Of Use when you signed up, please do so. 

Keith guessed wrong that you'd never been to Crystal, clearly, but this isn't a site where throwing personal insults around is okay. Please refrain from that in the future. Thanks.

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
02 Nov 2010 16:58 #215961 by Keith_Henson

BillyTheMountain

Please accept my sincere apologies. I mistakenly got the impression from what I read but not what you wrote that you had not been up there. I am sorry. I stand corrected and am embarrassed. I offer no explanation for my misunderstanding other then the "filter" remark. Please forgive me. 

• []
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2010 17:28 #215962 by 0
You guys should quit skiing at crowded ski areas. It may help you in more ways than you may think...

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Nov 2010 18:59 #215963 by Scotsman

You guys should quit skiing at crowded ski areas. It may help you in more ways than you may think...

Listen vermontlover, we've been though this before on this particular part of TAY. This is where we talk about lift skiing and resort issues and we don't need to be told how great the backcountry is and how bad you think resort skiing is or how we would get enlightenment by going into the BC.
Most of us that post in this particular corner of TAY have extensive backcountry experience( and I would hazard a guess.. but probably way more than you) and spend our ski days either in the BC or at the resort and sometimes both in the same day!!! YES!
If it makes you feel superior that you backcountry ski and look down on resort skiing then apart from pitying you and hoping that you will someday see that both are great fun, I would suggest you spend your time in the back country portion of TAY and leave this tiny portion of the site to us miscreants and sub-humans who like to talk about lift skiing and resort issues.
Thank you.

• CookieMonster
  • [CookieMonster]
More
02 Nov 2010 19:20 #215964 by CookieMonster
Replied by CookieMonster on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Scotty For The Win!

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Nov 2010 22:26 #215965 by Joedabaker
I love the cluster F*** at the top of Nash. Often times just zip down and shoot the gap. If things get out of hand in the process, just point em through the shark teeth bumps and start the jackhammer knees until it works out usually past the entrance to Adrenaline.  ;)

In order for Crystal to put a larger capacity chair (which is the their plan) in on 6 and replace that piece of junk. They have to create an egress that can handle the capacity and the work on the top...in theory will do that.
They should have replaced that chair this season instead of building a park.
Your always rolling the dice going over to chair 6 on a powder day. I have been stuck on it in a sweet pow day for over an hour!

Alpental needs to replace that piece of crap chair 2. The only mechanical chair worse than chair 6. How that keeps running is beyond the science of mechanics and physics and it should be donated to the Smithsonian.

More
03 Nov 2010 10:34 #215966 by Mofro
Replied by Mofro on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project

I love the cluster F*** at the top of Nash. Often times just zip down and shoot the gap. If things get out of hand in the process, just point em through the shark teeth bumps and start the jackhammer knees until it works out usually past the entrance to Adrenaline.  ;)

My tactics too. When in doubt, point em straight.

In order for Crystal to put a larger capacity chair (which is the their plan) in on 6 and replace that piece of junk. They have to create an egress that can handle the capacity and the work on the top...in theory will do that.
They should have replaced that chair this season instead of building a park.
Your always rolling the dice going over to chair 6 on a powder day. I have been stuck on it in a sweet pow day for over an hour!

Alpental needs to replace that piece of crap chair 2. The only mechanical chair worse than chair 6. How that keeps running is beyond the science of mechanics and physics and it should be donated to the Smithsonian.

40 year old chair lifts that increasingly break down and occasionally (chair2) have random chairs fall off. Repairs were made last spring at the expense of 2-3 more weeks of lift ski season but a real overhaul is still needed.

Outside of a few places at Mission Ridge, the top of 6 is without a doubt the rockiest stretch of in bounds I've skied in WA.

• BillyTheMountain
  • [BillyTheMountain]
More
03 Nov 2010 12:46 #215968 by BillyTheMountain
I apologize to Keith and anyone that may have been put-off by my comments.
I am a bit obnoxious sometimes and my comments can easily be controversial and offense.
I concede that I do NOT know the details of the SB traverse at Crystal as Keith picked up on using his amazing intuition, really.

Snow will always smooth things over. Schluctism
BTM

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
03 Nov 2010 19:11 #215969 by Keith_Henson

I apologize...

Snow will always smooth things over. Schluctism
BTM

Thanks for your reconciliatory comment and I return my warmest regards. I agree that snow smooths things out and I hope we'll have a chance to ski together sometime.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Nov 2010 19:43 #215970 by Joedabaker

40 year old chair lifts that increasingly break down and occasionally (chair2) have random chairs fall off. Repairs were made last spring at the expense of 2-3 more weeks of lift ski season but a real overhaul is still needed.

Outside of a few places at Mission Ridge, the top of 6 is without a doubt the rockiest stretch of in bounds I've skied in WA.

Chair 6 has had a couple chairs do the mystery drop too.
Just a lot of bandaids put on an already cracked dike.

Part of the reason 6 is so rocky as you probably know is that the wind can rip that ridge and peal all the snow off. Just the same as it takes all the snow it can reverse and deposit tons of snow on the trail. It's give and take all the time up there.

More
03 Nov 2010 23:08 - 04 Nov 2010 23:26 #215971 by Matt
Replied by Matt on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
The new used rebuilt motor I hear they are installing on 6 will do the trick for sure Joe.   Whats your problem man, they just put new seat covers on it like last season or maybe the one before.  That chair is the powder stash, you never know when it will stop and drive the crowd away to save the bounty for later in the day or week depending on what broke.  The icicles and snow falling on the people waiting to load is sweet.  The best part about Ch6 is it always opens faster than Ch2 at Alpental after the patrol gives the "just 30 more minute" line.

I like the cluster too and I take offence to this "fixing" as its called.  One mans bump and compressions is another mans takeoff and landing its all this turning that gets everone in trouble.

But on a more serious note I've seen worse crashes on the groomed traverse to right angle just before teddy bears or the snorting elk traverse.  They groom the night before or morning of, add some wind rolls and low visibility, good skiers have ended their season on those "groomed" trails.  Its nice and smooth till its not, if its always crappy you expect it.

• Keith_Henson
  • [Keith_Henson]
More
04 Nov 2010 09:36 #215973 by Keith_Henson

But on a more serious note I've seen worse crashes on the groomed traverse to right angle just before teddy bears or the snorting elk traverse.  They groom the night before or morning of, add some wind rolls and low visibility, good skiers have ended their season on those "groomed" trails.  Its nice and smooth till its not, if its always crappy you expect it.

For me the issue is not crashes but purely economic. I don't want to bust up my very expensive skis. But risk of doing so has never kept me from going up there.

From the first post on this thread almost a year ago: "For those of us who endured the unpleasantness of the rock strewn p-tex necessitating traverse to the South Back recently and in the past, relief may be coming soon."

and the Rationale for Decision..."While accessing these areas, skiers and boarders sometimes are doing so at risk to themselves and to their equipment as well as causing intrusions into Mt Rainier National Park in an effort to find easier access." Decision Memo, page 4

Can't wait and it will be great.

More
04 Nov 2010 09:53 #215974 by DonD
Replied by DonD on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
"Can't wait and it will be great."

Does anyone know if this going to happen this year?

• Dustin_B
  • [Dustin_B]
More
04 Nov 2010 21:39 #215980 by Dustin_B
Replied by Dustin_B on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project

"Can't wait and it will be great."

Does anyone know if this going to happen this year?

No. And likely won't happen for a couple more years when they replace chair 6.

• steepdeeply
  • [steepdeeply]
More
15 Mar 2014 18:02 #221333 by steepdeeply
Replied by steepdeeply on topic Re: Throne Traverse Construction Project
Unfortunately the new chair will likely bring the groomer road out to the south back gate