Home > Forum > Categories > Weak Layers > Communications Checklists

Communications Checklists

• otter
  • [otter]
More
07 Dec 2011 22:18 #96769 by otter
Communications Checklists was created by otter
If you were to make a checklist for decision point conversations, what would it look like? What are critical questions, observations, pieces of information that you want to ensure are discussed and taken into account?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2011 16:51 #96814 by Koda
Replied by Koda on topic Re: Communications Checklists

If you were to make a checklist for decision point conversations, what would it look like? What are critical questions, observations, pieces of information that you want to ensure are discussed and taken into account?

>silence, there is always something to observe about stability on the tour.
>the "morning meeting" however it convenes. What are each individuals expectations? Gear, experience, fitness?

• otter
  • [otter]
More
11 Dec 2011 15:13 #96970 by otter
Replied by otter on topic Re: Communications Checklists
Here's an example of what I was thinking of:

1. What Human Factors are present?
a. Intuition and gut feelings
b. Traps and biases
c. Communication and group dynamics
d. Stress and Energy levels

2. What factors influence our observations of terrain, snow and weather?
a. Visibility or flat light
b. Position in terrain
c. Skill and tools
d. Information Gaps

3. What are our Field Observations?
a. Avalanches
b. Snowpack
c. Weather

4. What is our Avalanche Problem?
a. Type and size
b. Location, Aspect, Elevation
c. Affect of weather on trend

5. What are our Terrain Options?
a. Specific route
b. Exposure
c. Consequences and terrain traps

6. What Travel Technique will we apply?
a. Technique
b. Islands of safety

Having a quick reference checklist handy could help structure conversations and ensure no important considerations are missed.

Is this something people would find handy? Should it be simpler? More detailed? What other questions should be addressed?

• bc_skier
  • [bc_skier]
More
28 Dec 2011 20:02 #97658 by bc_skier
Replied by bc_skier on topic Re: Communications Checklists
Here is the AIARE communication checklist used in their classes. The checklist has changed over the years, this is the most current list as of 2011/2012.

Posting approved by AIARE

• otter
  • [otter]
More
30 Dec 2011 19:06 #97738 by otter
Replied by otter on topic Re: Communications Checklists
Thanks for posting that that bc-skier, but that is cheating! Part of the reason I wanted to get input from this community is that I think AIARE's checklist is good a good start, but it seems like it could be refined. Also, what works well for one person might not for another. With the combined experience of this forum, I thought some interesting ideas might be generated.

What do people think of the idea of communication checklists? Is it realistic to think that people will actually use them? Or is it another "tool" that is part of a curriculum but doesn't get much love in the real world?

• Robert Connor
  • [robert]
More
11 Jan 2012 14:13 #98333 by Robert Connor
Replied by Robert Connor on topic Re: Communications Checklists

Having a quick reference checklist handy could help structure conversations and ensure no important considerations are missed.

Is this something people would find handy? Should it be simpler? More detailed? What other questions should be addressed?

Dan,
Have you read Atul Gawande's The Checklist Manifesto ?  If you haven't you should.  It is a great book that I think would give you even more motivation to continue in your crusade to improve communications in the hills.  His website has a checklist on how to make checklists .

I think having a checklist is a great idea.  I don't know how likely it is to get used, but the effectivness of checklists as shown in the book is so striking that I think people should absolutely be using them.  It seems like a discussion checklist is a little less straight forward than a simple do step one, two and three checklist, but it doesn't seem like a do step one, two and three checklist is suited to avalanche decision-making.  I think it will work.

In answer to your question of what should be changed, added or subtracted from your list I would suggest a summary discussion.  It would give everyone in the group a chance to give a thumbs up or down to the plan.  Everyone gets a vote and everyone gets a veto.

Robert