Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program...

Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program...

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
04 Nov 2016 20:08 #227439 by Koda
thought I would share, if anyone is considering upgrading their old avi beacon Ortovox will give you a $75 credit to their new 3+ beacon if you send them your old one, any brand.
www.ortovox.com/us/

IIRC The general safety rule is if your old beacon is no longer served by its warranty its time to get a new one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2016 09:12 #227444 by Griff
You mean I am not supposed to be using my Ortovox from 1985???? But I love it :-) and while I have never been fully buried, I would still say it has saved my life because it has always been my friend reminding me that I do not want to use it fully in an emergency, only in practice.

• CascadeClimber
  • [CascadeClimber]
More
07 Nov 2016 19:07 #227445 by CascadeClimber
Replied by CascadeClimber on topic Re: Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program...

IIRC The general safety rule is if your old beacon is no longer served by its warranty its time to get a new one.

Holy crikey, I've never heard that rule. Sounds like the "oil change every 3000 miles" rule to me.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Nov 2016 05:30 #227446 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program...
I'm surprised that beacon makers haven't gone the route of cell phone makers -- make the battery rechargeable, but not replaceable -- so upgrading every two years is de rigueur.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
15 Nov 2016 01:16 #227459 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program...
Nobody said it was fair or right. But all you have to do is put a beacon at 30 meters and test searching with beacons of various ages to get creeped out.

• SKIER-X
  • [SKIER-X]
More
18 Nov 2016 13:39 #227465 by SKIER-X
Replied by SKIER-X on topic Re: Ortovox Beacon Retirement Program...
Gotta weight in here , Ive had 4 beacons fail or go out of spec. over 36 yrs. and embarrassingly , one was discovered in the middle of a tour and the other during an avy. course. I felt deep guilt because I had been jeopardizing my partners and myself. 2 different brands were involved. I now regularly check there performance and regardless of there performance , after 5 yrs. retire them . I do not loan or sell them , but disable the strap system , permanently mark them and if appropriate convert them into a hidden training beacon. Humble-X