Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Brent Okita: 500th Rainier Summit + Edmunds HW Ski

Brent Okita: 500th Rainier Summit + Edmunds HW Ski

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jun 2016 22:47 #227203 by Amar Andalkar
Nice to see that Brent Okita finally got his 500th Rainier summit this week, and did it in style with a ski descent of Edmunds Headwall on the Mowich Face. Congrats! It's even more notable since he has rarely skied from the top of Rainier despite all those summits, as he can't do so while guiding. I've known Brent for several years and am glad to say that he always recognizes me when we cross paths in the mountains. Often passing his guided groups while skinning up the Muir Snowfield during the summer, where I would usually ask for his updated summit count, and occasionally seeing him at Crystal when he's ski patrolling there. He's always been friendly and an engaging conversation.

Adventurer of the Week: Brent Okita climbs Rainier for 500th time
www.theolympian.com/outdoors/article82632017.html

Brent Okita did something Tuesday afternoon that’s not likely to happen again.

The 55-year-old Enumclaw resident became the second person to make 500 trips to the 14,411-foot summit of Mount Rainier. Okita, who has guided for Rainier Mountainer Inc. since 1986, joined International Mountain Guides’ George Dunn in the exclusive 500-summit club.

He reached the summit with friends Tuesday at 2:02 p.m. They celebrated quickly then, to make the trip even more memorable, they skied down via the Edmunds Headwall. The route has pitches as steep as 55 degrees and at one point requires a short rappel.

“It’s definitely a no-fall zone,” said Okita, who helps managed the Crystal Mountain ski patrol. “... It was one of my highlights. I will definitely always remember it.”

THE 300 CLUB
Only eight men, all of whom launched successful guiding careers on the slopes of Mount Rainier, have reached the 14,411-foot summit 300 or more times.

NAME                       SUMMITS

George Dunn, IMG             515
Brent Okita, RMI             500
Phil Ershler, IMG            447
Craig Van Hoy, AAI           424
Paul Maier, RMI              392
Jason Edwards, IMG           327
Gary Talcott, RMI            304
Robert Link, Mountain Link   301

Brent Okita 2nd person to make 500 trips to top of Mount Rainier
www.thenewstribune.com/outdoors/article82391482.html

RMI Guide Brent Okita Summits Mt. Rainier for the 500th Time
www.rmiguides.com/blog/2016/06/08/rmi_gu...r_for_the_500th_time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2016 17:05 #227204 by slacker
That's a great reminder to keep getting out and doing the things we love to do! I bet that Brent (like many others that frequent TAY) has long been a source of inspiration to his family, friends and acquaintances to get out and DO something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.