Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Crystal Question

Crystal Question

• Brooski
  • [brucejbaker@comcast.net]
More
21 Mar 2016 19:01 #226595 by Brooski
Crystal Question was created by Brooski
From the Crystal site:
We are open daily until April 17th will reopen Memorial Day weekend for sightseeing on the Mt. Rainier Gondola and skiing in Green Valley. That's right, summer skiing is back! Thanks to almost 500 inches of snowfall this season we expect there to be snow at the higher elevations for a while so we might as well take advantage of it. We plan to run the Green Valley chair for skiing and snowboarding on weekends starting May 28th into July or as long as conditions allow. Season Passes go on sale March 25th and include free Spring and Summer Skiing

Looks like Crystal is taking a break then reopening in May. I don't remember this being done before. Seems they're trying to avoid that awkward in-between stage where we can enjoy the whole mountain and deal with the slowly reduced number of lifts. I understand that they likely want to avoid possibility of negative cash flow while waiting for the summer gaper crowd. Not a complaint, but I will miss enjoying frontside slush bumps under REX in late April through May.

Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brooski
  • [brucejbaker@comcast.net]
More
21 Mar 2016 19:05 #226596 by Brooski
Replied by Brooski on topic Re: Crystal Question
So the question is: Has this been done before? Also: Will they allow skinning up the area between sessions?

Bruce

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Mar 2016 06:41 #226598 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Crystal Question
Way back, that's how they always did it. Close for may to do some chores on the chairs while there was snow on the ground to cat around on. Now, I think it monetary as there's not enough participation till they open the Gondola for summer sightseeing. Especially when it seems to rain on the weekends and no one goes skiing.

• JonnyQuest
  • [JonnyQuest]
More
22 Mar 2016 12:53 #226601 by JonnyQuest
Replied by JonnyQuest on topic Re: Crystal Question
I could be wrong, but I also thought there was something in Crystal's FS use permit regarding temp closure for elk habitat.   

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
22 Mar 2016 14:07 #226604 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Crystal Question

I could be wrong, but I also thought there was something in Crystal's FS use permit regarding temp closure for elk habitat.   

I've heard that story too but can't imagine why an Elk would wander up there while snow is on the ground with nothing to eat

More
25 Mar 2016 21:16 #226669 by BB
Replied by BB on topic Re: Crystal Question

I will miss enjoying frontside slush bumps under REX in late April through May

You and me and many others!

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
26 Mar 2016 06:07 #226671 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Crystal Question

I've heard that story too but can't imagine why an Elk would wander up there while snow is on the ground with nothing to eat

The area is used by the elk herd for calving. Forage improves as the melt out line moves uphill. During the calving period having the area quiet, allowing the cows and calves more time to rest , instead burning up energy and moving into less favorable areas to avoid human activity .