Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > 2016 Patrol Race (Feb 27th) - Lottery Is Open

2016 Patrol Race (Feb 27th) - Lottery Is Open

• nsteere
  • [nsteere]
More
03 Jan 2016 21:28 #225582 by nsteere
Registration for the lottery is now open!

Instructions are posted on the Patrol Race website:

meanylodge.org/activities/patrol_race/patrol_race.html

We are giving priority to teams that were registered last year (it was cancelled due to lack of snow), but there are still about 10 slots open as far as we can tell. All info needed via the link shown above. (Note to last year's teams who want to register - please fill out the form for the lottery so that we have everybody's contact info in one location).

I was just out today skinning the PCT between lodge lake and Windy Pass (almost) and needless the say - the snow conditions are fantastic. Barring some kind of snow tragedy between now and Feb 27th, a low snowpack should not be a barrier to the race this year. Happy Skinning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• patboyle
  • [patboyle]
More
12 Jan 2016 20:35 #225706 by patboyle
Hello All - we scouted the north part of the route this weekend. Check out some pictures on the facebook page: www.facebook.com/patrolrace

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Jan 2016 22:07 #225948 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: 2016 Patrol Race (Feb 27th)
For Patrol Race teams who want to compare their time to the ancients, I made a scouting trip yesterday to mark the likely starting point in the old days. If you set a timer when you pass this point, you can make a direct comparison to the early races.

This is my best guess for the starting point for the Mountaineers club race in which Wolf Bauer, Chester Higman and Bill Miller set the course record of 4:37:23 on February 16, 1936. (Unfortunately, I never asked Wolf Bauer exactly where the race started, so I have to make a guess based on my knowledge of the race history.)

The ribbon in the photo is tied around a snag near the south edge of the small pond south of Lodge Lake. See the red 'X' on the map at left.

With the good snowpack this year, it's hard to tell where the Crest Trail goes in this area, so I can't guarantee that the organizers will break the trail right here. I chose this tree for a marker because it seemed like easiest spot to find. I'll remove the ribbon after the race is over.

Some of you may be aware that Wolf Bauer passed away last week at 103 years of age. The Seattle Times obituary can be found here:

www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/obitua...vironmentalist-dies/

Remarkably, Wolf's 80-year-old Patrol Race record outlived him. If he had known this would happen, I think he would have smiled.

• Garth_Ferber
  • [Garth_Ferber]
More
01 Feb 2016 11:55 #225955 by Garth_Ferber
Replied by Garth_Ferber on topic Re: 2016 Patrol Race (Feb 27th) - Lottery Is Open
Wow did not know that Wolf had died. Paddle on Wolf!