Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Road to Paradise closed at least throught the 28th

Road to Paradise closed at least throught the 28th

• elbe2013
  • [elbe2013]
More
26 Dec 2015 09:27 #225473 by elbe2013
The MRNP has posted on twitter that the road to Paradise will be closed at least through Monday the 28th. They give no reason....This is complete bullshit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Dec 2015 15:26 #225474 by Gary Vogt
A little more info at:
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=35199.0

At least this afternoon they seemed to be holding vehicles at the entrance (looked like several hundred in line outside the park) until someone left, unlike 'Green Friday' when much of the road was a parking lot, but vehicles were still streaming in.   

More
26 Dec 2015 18:15 #225476 by TonyM
More governing against the will of the people I suppose.

Interesting that relatively small groups of college protesters can organize, raise their voice, and force change at many of our 'finest' educational institutions. Statues removed, buildings renamed, presidents and tenured professors removed over some imagined slight.

Maybe if 50 or 100 skiers/back country advocates showed up with signs and raised voices, things might change. Or at least, some sort of explanation might be given.

If we didn't pay taxes that funded the Park Service, and/or if we didn't pay annual Park fees / daily entrance fees, this all might be OK. But we do. This is unacceptable.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
26 Dec 2015 19:58 #225479 by T. Eastman

Maybe if 50 or 100 skiers/back country advocates showed up with signs and raised voices, things might change. Or at least, some sort of explanation might be given.

March towards them with open tubes of red klister!

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Dec 2015 20:16 #225481 by Gary Vogt

If we didn't pay taxes that funded the Park Service, and/or if we didn't pay annual Park fees / daily entrance fees, this all might be OK.  But we do.  This is unacceptable. 

I diagonally strode the park's Westside Road today about four miles out to Fish Creek.  I was astonished to see a large tracked excavator parked half-buried in snow at the 'Dry Creek' summer gate / parking area.  This is probably the largest avalanche path in the park that reaches a road.  I have seen large logs and debris piled tens of feet high exactly at the machine's location on numerous occasions over the years.

So the next time the park puts out another press release pleading poverty, while demonstrating almost no financial transparency  www.schundler.net/FOIAfailing.pdf , remember how little they seem to care about our property and how they take our tax dollars for granted.  I'm guessing a shovel like that goes for at least $100,000?

The annual 'Best Places to Work' report is out.  The NPS continues its decade-long slide in management category scores and its own employees now rank it 259th out of 320 federal agencies surveyed:
www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2015/12/na...k-federal-government
bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/detail/IN10

• elbe2013
  • [elbe2013]
More
29 Dec 2015 08:16 #225499 by elbe2013
So a half an hour ago the NPS first tweeted that the road would not be open due to continued storm clean-up. Ten minutes later it was tweeted that lack of staffing was the reason. They have stated that when the road opens is when they will build the sledding run. Whittakers Motel has just tweeted asking if they will be working on the sledding run today since there is no public around. I wish more people would get involved in demanding accountability from this shit show entity of the NPS....

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Dec 2015 09:42 #225500 by Andrew Carey

So a half an hour ago the NPS first tweeted that the road would not be open due to continued storm clean-up. Ten minutes later it was tweeted that lack of staffing was the reason. They have stated that when the road opens is when they will build the sledding run. Whittakers Motel has just tweeted asking if they will be working on the sledding run today since there is no public around. I wish more people would get involved in demanding accountability from this shit show entity of the NPS....

Road to Paradise would not open due to storm cleanup but the road would be open to Cougar Rock; next tweet said the gate would remain closed at Longmire--precluding travel to Cougar Rock--due to lack of staffing.

Nobody but a few old farts who live in the vicinity really cares. It wasn't going to be a free day today.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Dec 2015 23:53 #225535 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Road to Paradise closed at least throught the 28th
Sounds like the road is opening soon, according to this Seattle Times article: www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/rainier...lay-by-this-weekend/

The article links to this thread.

• nemolonsdale
  • [nemolonsdale]
More
27 Feb 2016 10:33 #226274 by nemolonsdale

I diagonally strode the park's Westside Road today about four miles out to Fish Creek.  I was astonished to see a large tracked excavator parked half-buried in snow at the 'Dry Creek' summer gate / parking area.  This is probably the largest avalanche path in the park that reaches a road.  I have seen large logs and debris piled tens of feet high exactly at the machine's location on numerous occasions over the years.[img width=800]http://PASTEimageURLhere[/img]

So the next time the park puts out another press release pleading poverty, while demonstrating almost no financial transparency  www.schundler.net/FOIAfailing.pdf , remember how little they seem to care about our property and how they take our tax dollars for granted.  I'm guessing a shovel like that goes for at least $100,000?

The annual 'Best Places to Work' report is out.  The NPS continues its decade-long slide in management category scores and its own employees now rank it 259th out of 320 federal agencies surveyed:
www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2015/12/na...k-federal-government
bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/detail/IN10

This morning I woke up thinking about this tractor, anybody been out that way?