Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?

Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?

• biker
  • [biker]
More
06 Dec 2015 09:18 #225152 by biker
Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs? was created by biker
Last years lack of snow left my skis in poor shape and I would like a get some ptex work done and a stone grind. Any reason to choose between pro ski and evo, as they are both the same price?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bwalt822
  • [bwalt822]
More
06 Dec 2015 21:43 #225158 by bwalt822
Replied by bwalt822 on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
I've had waxes, an edge/ptex repair, and some mounts done at proski. They have always done good work for me. The repair was for when I clipped a rock, bent the edge out a bit and took a nice divot out of the base not quite to the core. Never been to Evo so can't say anything about them.

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
07 Dec 2015 08:28 #225160 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
I know Mike at ProSki makes his own skis from time to time. Not sure if the folks at Evo do that, but this would lead me to head that way for their services. Not to mention, they're just killer folks

More
07 Dec 2015 08:49 #225162 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
One more positive reference for Pro Ski. Using them since the 90s and never disappointed. Just had the boards tuned up for the quick trip to Breck before Tday. First run they were so sharp I could barely ski. That's just the way I like 'em!!!!

Haven't had tune up work done at Evo, yet a good crew there no doubt. Friendly and knowledgeable.

More
08 Dec 2015 10:30 #225165 by Lot 2
Replied by Lot 2 on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
If you want to buy ski gear from a skater kid, go to EVO. That being said, one of their techs hooked me up with a brand new chasis for one of my broken Barons for FREEEEE! Meanwhile the salesman is trying to tell me that I need to replace my rock skis, so.... shop yes, sales no.

Pro Ski: Solid non BS through and through, great guys, tell it like it is and they do great work at fair prices. Practitioners.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
08 Dec 2015 16:19 #225177 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
Ptex & grind, I'd guess they are probably the same. That said, I wouldn't go to Evo for Dynafiddle questions. Either Pro Ski on Aurora or the one in North Bend (I like that one best) are great.

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Dec 2015 19:10 #225179 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?

If you want to buy ski gear from a skater kid, go to EVO.

Or if you want to buy gear (including Dynafit bindings) from one of the most technically knowledgable skiers in the PNW, both alpine racing and randonee racing, or if you want to buy gear from the world freeski champion, then Evo is the place to find those guys too.

Both ProSki and Evo have enthusiastic people. And by the way, the REI ski repair shop has some superb skiers and technicians, too. Oh, and Sturdevants in Bellevue. And World Cup Ski Service in Bellevue. And Crystal Mountain rental shop. And likely many others I don't personally know about. Sorry for the rant, but be careful of discussion board opinions (including this one.)

More
08 Dec 2015 19:48 #225180 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
Nice Silas. Yep for sure a shout out to both Sturtevants and World Cup from me as well. The team at Sturtevants has set up Graham's skis for the last 2 years.

More
10 Dec 2015 07:13 #225199 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
For shop tuning, if boils down to skill of the tech, having the right machines, and keeping them properly maintained. I would trust any of the above mentioned shops to do a P-Tex repair and belt/stone grind.

You guys realize that shop personnel changes fairly often, right? The guy who did a great job of tuning your skis at Sturtevants a few years ago could be at evo now, the guy who did a great job of fixing your bases last year at evo could be at REI now, and so on . . .

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
10 Dec 2015 13:00 #225203 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?

For shop tuning, if boils down to skill of the tech, having the right machines, and keeping them properly maintained. I would trust any of the above mentioned shops to do a P-Tex repair and belt/stone grind.

You guys realize that shop personnel changes fairly often, right? The guy who did a great job of tuning your skis at Sturtevants a few years ago could be at evo now, the guy who did a great job of fixing your bases last year at evo could be at REI now, and so on . . .

This is totally true but also makes things a pain in the ass. Option 2: Learn how to do most of this stuff yourself.

• steepdeeply
  • [steepdeeply]
More
10 Dec 2015 15:12 #225204 by steepdeeply
Replied by steepdeeply on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
For the finest tuning and really excellent work on major repairs I go to Greenwater Skis on 410, same tech for years doing the work

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
12 Dec 2015 17:36 #225235 by cmosetick
Replied by cmosetick on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?
FWIW, I've had excellent base repair work done at Mountain To Sound Outfitters in West Seattle. My Atomic's had some nasty gouges right on my edges. Ski tech Nate did a really good job of fixing them up. Really friendly staff their too, and backcountry gear selection is improving.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Dec 2015 15:32 #225240 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Ski Tuning Pro Ski vs Evo vs?

OP, if you knew this cat you wouldn't have a tech worry ever again;-)