Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Backcountry skiing effects on term life insurance

Backcountry skiing effects on term life insurance

• TonyP
  • [TonyP]
More
17 Nov 2015 09:43 #225014 by TonyP
I have been looking into getting a term life insurance policy, and the term "hazardous activities" comes up in the application process. Rock and mountain climbing are a particular "hazardous activity" inquired about. Has anyone gone through this same experience and found that recreational BC skiing falls under this hazardous activity category?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
17 Nov 2015 10:04 #225016 by Don Heath
Hi Tony, I recently bought a new term policy.  I told them what I did, but I don't think they understood it, and so they didn't follow up with any additional risk clarifying questions.  I think the person had the idea it was Cross Country Skiing.  And I didn't offer any further explanations once they were satisfied.

I'll have my wife post her experience here if she ever needs to try to collect...

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
17 Nov 2015 19:36 #225020 by T. Eastman
We are all cross country skiers...

... there are some large hills along the route...

More
18 Nov 2015 12:10 #225024 by Dave_R
More hazardous than parking one's butt on the couch with the TV remote and bag of cheese curls close at hand?!

• ski_photomatt
  • [ski_photomatt]
More
18 Nov 2015 20:01 #225030 by ski_photomatt
Hi Tony,

My wife and I just bought some new life insurance policies and didn't have any problems around backcountry skiing.  We discussed the activity with our financial adviser and read through the risky avocation questions but they were all quite specific and didn't include backcountry skiing (base jumping, heli skiing, technical rock climbing, etc).

Also note that most (all?) insurance policies have a two year contestability clause so as long as there is no need to make a claim in the first two years it doesn't matter what activities you engage in after that.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
18 Nov 2015 20:38 #225031 by glenn_b
As a former insurance agent, be straight up about what you're up to. It's up to them to underwrite the risk. And, yes, there is 2 year contestability clause. If it's questionable, don't die in the 1st 2 years. After that, you can do yourself in any which way, including suicide(!), and they should pay. Ask your agent to be sure.