Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Volcano Forecast Preview

Volcano Forecast Preview

• neuman
  • [neuman]
More
14 Sep 2015 18:23 #224809 by neuman
Volcano Forecast Preview was created by neuman
I'm working on creating a webpage that contains raw weather model data for several of the volcanoes in the Portland NWS's area of responsibility as an additional source of information for the public. I've attached a first cut image of the basic layout I've thought might be useful...albeit there are some obvious formatting issues I need to resolve. Anyway, I'm hoping that by providing this data it may give those recreating on the mountains a hint that the summit may become enshrouded in a cloud (RH is increasing near the summit) or that winds may be howling near the summit while not that strong down lower, which current forecasts sometimes have a difficult time capturing. Positive and negative feedback welcome :) /neuman
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• neuman
  • [neuman]
More
14 Sep 2015 18:26 #224810 by neuman
Replied by neuman on topic Re: Volcano Forecast Preview
I should also note that if you have a nice photo of Mt St Helens, Mt Adams, Mt Hood or the Three Sisters and you wouldn't mind letting us use it (with credit given), please send me a message.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Sep 2015 23:47 #224811 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Volcano Forecast Preview
The Rainier recreational forecast format is extremely useful. The ASCII formatting is trivially portable/easily archived, and the all-text page loads instantly.

www.atmos.washington.edu/data/rainier_report.html

Thank you for bringing model outputs to the masses!

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
16 Sep 2015 07:14 #224812 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: Volcano Forecast Preview
I like it.

I would however like to see a few places that make things easier for the non-weather man to read. It would be nice to have a place that shows the Cloud level (top/bottom) in that region. Maybe you could add in a '% chance cloudy" in that elevation range.

Also it would be helpful if there was a public facing API attached to this so other people could utilize this data into their own services.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
24 Sep 2015 22:50 #224736 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Volcano Forecast Preview
Not to be a thread hijack, but Brian T included in his requests an issue we all wish could be more accessible to the recreationist who isn't a savvy weather/pilot person:
When building an information site for volcanos +/- high elevation ("above NWAC") alpine/ski conditions forecasting, any information about where the predicted ceiling of the cloud deck is forecast to be would be gratefully (ravenously) appreciated.