Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Baker C/D or Squak conditions: Anyone been up?

Baker C/D or Squak conditions: Anyone been up?

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
29 May 2015 10:23 #224611 by andyski
How broken up are things? How's the Roman Wall? What does coverage look like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2015 11:11 #224612 by Jason4
My fiance was on Baker last Thursday (May 21) and said that the C/D was very broken up compared to previous trips, booting up the RW was ok and it was easy corn snow on the way down. Her party was able to ride from the summit to the summer trail fairly easily. I don't know that the winter route through the Grouse Creek drainage was ever really in this year. There should be a few pictures from the trip on instagram tagged with #almostfamousvolcanotour.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
29 May 2015 22:08 #224613 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Baker C/D or Squak conditions: Anyone been up?
Was on Coleman Deming today, went up after a friend reported corn skiing last weekend.

Made it to top of Pumice Ridge before turning around because of visibility and high winds. Skied unroped, in my view the route is in good shape crevassse wise, nothing unusual. The snow was not good, except for the steeper slope between hogsback and the flat part. No overnigh freeze. Between the col and the flat part the snow has either small suncups developing :( or 2-3 inches of soft water soaked mush over firm base.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
30 May 2015 13:51 #224615 by runningclouds

More
31 May 2015 21:11 #224617 by NickD
It appears you made the best of a touchy day Martin. Smart move on turnaround. I have stopped a few times on that little flat bump just below Pumice Ridge when conditions (and lungs  ;)) deteriorated. The mountain will be waiting for you when better conditions are present.

More
02 Jun 2015 22:47 #224620 by kylesw
Skied the Coleman-Deming on 5/23. We felt confident not using a rope. The most important thing is that the arch is still in!
Attachments: