Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Participate/new study/gather data/ Avy decisions

Participate/new study/gather data/ Avy decisions

• garyabrill
  • [garyabrill]
More
03 Nov 2014 09:18 - 03 Nov 2014 15:14 #222847 by garyabrill
Now this is interesting, I copied and pasted this after Jordy asked me to modify the web address, I pasted the new address in the message box, it showed up and when I posted the whole message disappeared. I suspect hacking - pretty worthwhile.

A new study attempts to gather information from the public and commercial interests by logging GPS Tracks and answering a brief questionnaire after a tour (skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing).

www.montana.edu/wwwes/facilities/paper.pdf

To sign-up and participate:

www.montana.edu/snowscience/tracks

OK, it worked, here is the new address Jordy wanted to use. I tried copying out of blank instead of Pages. I still suspect hacking as when I turn on my computer my file sharing preference is unlocked. (This despite my locking same when turning off the computer). Copying Pages does work on NWhikers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Nov 2014 11:12 #222849 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Participate/new study/gather data/ Avy decisions
Great post, Gary! For everyone who couldn't make it to NSAW, Jordy Hendrikx made a compelling appeal for GPS-tracked ski tour data and shared insights from their data set (chiefly that people appear to mitigate avalanche hazard by aspect more than they do slope angle). The more tracks they have, the more researchers can learn about how people move in the mountains on days when they don't have accidents.

I just signed up. This is the sort of research that only works with large statistics, and it'll be to the benefit of many to opt in when you feel comfortable.

They accept all GPX data, as well as through their suggested app; GPS-track people, this is for you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.