Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > OZ Splitboards - A Behind the Scenes Look

OZ Splitboards - A Behind the Scenes Look

• CMcQuade
  • [CMcQuade]
More
03 Jan 2014 17:44 #211566 by CMcQuade
OZ Snowboards - A Behind the Scenes Look -- (Link to full write up and pics)

A few days ago Adam, mastermind and owner of OZ Snowboards shared a behind the scenes look to what I personally am calling one of the industries truly unique snowboard companies. The build quality and structural components of OZ boards are one of kind.  A few build points to highlight are:

1)  A solid non-jointed wood core:  Most snowboard manufacturers utilize finger jointed wood cores to cut costs, these finger joints act as weak spots in the boards core.  The amount of finger joints in a single board often vary from board to board.  OZ uses a solid wood core with no finger joints.  Another place manufactures cut costs is in the boards tip and tail.  Plastic is often used at the boards tip and tail rather then the wood core extending through the boards tip and tail.

2) Aerospace grade carbon fiber:  Most snowboard manufacturers use some form of fiberglass above and below the boards wood core.   All OZ Snowboards are made with tri-axial aerospace grade carbon fiber. This is the material used to build jets.  Carbon fiber is 5 times as strong and 1/3rd the weight of fiberglass and provides improved stability and control in a snowboard.

For more detailed info about the unique makeup of OZ boards visit the "Why Buy an OZ?"section of OZ Snowboards website.

Lets just say my next board will be an OZ.  I've never been so impressed with the build quality of a snowboard.  And the weight, so light thanks to the carbon fiber.

First pic is a core for our Tommy Knocker beer Colab snowboards.  Finger jointed cores and fiberglass are used for any promo boards unless they want to pay the premium for our FSC Certified full vertically laminated wood cores. Most beer clients just want a cool snowboard and don't care for the technology.

Legal Addictions Facebook Page

Legal Addictions Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2014 16:45 #211572 by dale_72
It's nice to see a company using full length wood cores. Unfortunately finger jointed cores have become the norm. My Jones Solution split has two finger joints side by side, pretty poor craftsmanship. Venture Snowboards is the only mainstream snowboard company that I know of that uses full length wood cores.

And then there's this company www.downskis.com/about, the background image shows very short wood stringers butt jointed together, a pretty pathetic attempt at making a ski core.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.