• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Apr 2013 21:08 #209358 by Zap
Eastern Sierra Touring Update was created by Zap
Eastern Sierra – March 31-April 1, 2013
Our Eastern Sierra jaunt actually started with an overnight at Bridgeport, CA.  The next morning we drove up to Travertine Hot Springs, found a great secluded springs with a view overlooking the valley and the Sawtooth Ridge beyond it.   After a refreshing soak we started our trek to check out our favorite backcountry touring areas.  Here’s what we found:
• Virginia Lakes with Dunderberg Peak, Black Mtn., etc. – road was bare and dry, but chained about half a mile above where it’s usually gated.  Anticipate it will open 2nd or 3rd week of April.
• Tioga Pass – still gated, meaning that the Whoa Nellie Deli is still closed. Opening early.
• June Lake with Mt. Wood – very low snow coverage and a long walk.
• Mammoth and the Sherwins – very low snow coverage.
• Convict Lake – very low snow coverage.
• Rock Creek – road was clear and dry, but was gated 9 miles up the road at the point where you can buy Sno-Park permits. Will open in 2  weeks.
• Along highway 395 towards Bishop – Mt. Tom, etc. were very boney, and it would take a long walk to get to snow.
• Bishop – spoke with the people in the Mountaineering store and Wilson’s Sporting Goods.  They all said the snowpack was very low and it would take a lot of climbing to get to skiable snow.
Once the trout season opens, the high roads open.

Wow!  Very disappointing, but not totally surprising.  Bryan was right on when we spoke with him about conditions in the Eastern Sierra several weeks ago.   But we just had to see for ourselves…  It was great to see some of our favorite spots – even without the snow.

Zap & Jill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
08 Apr 2013 20:38 #209401 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: Eastern Sierra Touring Update
Thanks for the update. Zap!

We where planning on coming down for a road trip in early May. I heard it was bad, but not that bad. i guess we should maybe rethink.

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Apr 2013 22:06 #209407 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Eastern Sierra Touring Update

Thanks for the update. Zap!

We where planning on coming down for a road trip in early May. I heard it was bad, but not that bad.  i guess we should maybe rethink.

May is normally a great time but this season and last season was not a great snow year. The trip reports at TGR, Telemarktips and Backcountry have the latest.  The third week of April opens the high roads. Checkout Caltran for SR120 for Tioga Pass opening which will provide great elevation. Also Lassen and Shasta will be great.

Zap :)

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Apr 2013 22:31 #209408 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Eastern Sierra Touring Update
You sure drove to a lot of gates and chains! 8)
I heard Lassen will be open only 10 days this year. I think that's the south side trail, but you'll probably have to summit from the north almost all this season.