Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Flying with airbag pack

Flying with airbag pack

• Stuart Ryan
  • [skr]
More
01 Mar 2013 09:31 #208907 by Stuart Ryan
Flying with airbag pack was created by Stuart Ryan
Does anyone have experience flying with an airbag pack? I have an ABS and their info all says that its legal as checked luggage abs-airbag.de/en/service/abs-in-planes/

But Im curious if this is how it really pans out at security. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2013 12:01 - 01 Mar 2013 12:29 #208914 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Flying with airbag pack
Don't get me started.......I've had so much hassle over mine, tantrums, tears, near arrests for belligerence and tears of frustration.
Firstly the actual pack is not poblem as hand carry...never been stopped for the pack.
The problem is the cartridge/Air canister.....even though it's empty.
I have a Snowpulse so ABS may be different.

It's legal but the TSA agents in the USA, agents in Canada and Europe are all over the field on it.

When I went to Canada last year, I was told NOT to pack them in checked baggage but hand carry the cylinder. It was empty and I had the paperwork. USA security no problem....in Canada for connecting flight I was told that hand carry WAS"T allowed so we had to get our  checked bags  back and then recheck them, nearly missing flight.

When recently going to Europe, I was again told NOT the check them but to hand carry. Not a problem in USA but in Yurp we got stopped and had to do explaining. On way back , we got stopped in Heathrow and large lady with attitude confiscated cylinder. Demanded to see superiors and they denied giving me empty cylinder back. Threw tantrum and after demanding to see even higher ups , large lady got on phone and discussed with superiors and they decided that they could be classified as Life Jackets and allowed me to take it on... this took over an hour and we nearly missed flights again.

Others may have different experiences and it depends on the agents you get. It's legal but the agents have so much power that if you get one with an attitude or no training...you're in for some hassle.

Based upon my experiences...I will put mine in check in luggage from now on.....never had an issue when I did this....ONLY had issues when I was told to carry them on.

I have hand carried because most of the time I was told to NOT check them.... and I was always worried that if I put them in my checked  ski bag they would get detained and I'd turn up at my destination with my ski bag back in the depths of some airport security area.

I always carry the manufacturers literature and the relevant USA and International regulations concerning them....doesn't do much good.

YMMV...good luck.

• Stuart Ryan
  • [skr]
More
01 Mar 2013 13:16 #208918 by Stuart Ryan
Replied by Stuart Ryan on topic Re: Flying with airbag pack
Maybe it wont be as much of an issue since im just flying in the US without any connections?

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2013 13:29 #208920 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Flying with airbag pack

Maybe it wont be as much of an issue since im just flying in the US without any connections?

If it's an ABS pack you might be able to find a dealer in the area you are going and get a rental cartridge/cylinder from them....this is pretty common and negates the whole hassle of bringing the cartridge/cylinder.... Not sure where you are going ...but worth looking into.

• Chris S
  • [mtnfreak]
More
01 Mar 2013 17:06 #208926 by Chris S
Replied by Chris S on topic Re: Flying with airbag pack
I can't speak to other brands like Mammut (Snowpulse), ABS, or Wary, but this is what we tell purchasers at BCA: www.backcountryaccess.com/wp-content/upl...er_air_travel_v2.pdf

My understanding that if flying with an ABS pack, you should leave the canister AND the trigger at home, and pick up a new pair at your destination.

With compressed air canisters, you need to travel with it EMPTIED and DISASSEMBLED. TSA and other security personnel need to be able to visually see that the container is not under pressure and EMPTY. The gauge itself isn't adequate to address security.

Caveat: I work for BCA, so I do have a horse in this race.

• kurthicks
  • [kurthicks]
More
01 Mar 2013 18:53 #208929 by kurthicks
Replied by kurthicks on topic Re: Flying with airbag pack
Just ship the canister to yourself at your destination. No worries that way.

• Stuart Ryan
  • [skr]
More
04 Mar 2013 09:12 #208972 by Stuart Ryan
Replied by Stuart Ryan on topic Re: Flying with airbag pack
Thanks for the info everybody. Going to end up getting a canister at destination.