Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions

Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions

• Hawthorne
  • [Hawthorne]
More
22 Aug 2012 12:11 #206192 by Hawthorne
Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions was created by Hawthorne
Looking to get August, don't really want to hike under the operating lifts at T_Line. Anyone have a view of the NE side or been to Tilly Jane / Cooper Spur lately?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stoudema
  • [stoudema]
More
23 Aug 2012 18:49 #206199 by stoudema
Replied by stoudema on topic Re: Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions
Here's a trip report submitted by a guy on splitboard.com from last weekend.....

splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13747

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
26 Aug 2012 20:27 #206210 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions

Looking to get August, don't really want to hike under the operating lifts at T_Line. 

The lifts stop operating at 2pm. A Portland TAY secret is that the Palmer is often excellent and empty late afternoons and early evenings and, if you stay long enough, the sunset from the Palmer is fantastic. You can also venture further west to Zigzag Gl.

• steve_f
  • [sfrankovich]
More
27 Aug 2012 09:24 #206216 by steve_f
Replied by steve_f on topic Re: Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions

The lifts stop operating at 2pm. A Portland TAY secret is that the Palmer is often excellent and empty late afternoons and early evenings and, if you stay long enough, the sunset from the Palmer is fantastic. You can also venture further west to Zigzag Gl.

Beware of grumpy groomers. I was on my way down a little below palmer yesterday evening when a snowcat honked his horn at me. I stopped and he yelled at me for ruining his fresh job. He went on about world class skiers, $185/hr, me not paying, an on and on. I appologized and went on my way, not feeling like getting into an argument. Any really, I see his point, except that the narrow snow finger below palmer was completely groomed, giving no other options than a carry. That was the first time I got hassled in the five years I've been getting last minute late summer turns. Maybe I'll see you on the dome in early September.

• Hawthorne
  • [Hawthorne]
More
27 Aug 2012 10:39 - 27 Aug 2012 11:48 #206217 by Hawthorne
Replied by Hawthorne on topic Re: Mt Hood Snow Dome Conditions
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We live in Welches and do the south side so much, I just get tired of looking at it.  But after reviewing the Split-board report, I was thinking the ZigZag Canyon might be a better choice.

Too bad about the rude groomer.  I've always given and got waves from them when I've seen them, and, yes, I've really enjoyed their fresh groom on a couple of occasions. 

Between youth soccer and work this week, thinking it will have to be a quick lap anyway. 

Thanks again.