Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > White Pass touring options?

White Pass touring options?

• BeckyB
  • [BeckyB]
More
08 Mar 2012 20:29 #204424 by BeckyB
White Pass touring options? was created by BeckyB
Pete and I are looking for touring ideas around White Pass for Sunday. So, any ideas/suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2012 21:58 #204427 by ~Link~
Replied by ~Link~ on topic Re: White Pass touring options?
I was up there yesterday with a non-BC friend of mine. Hiked up through the BC gate at the top of of the Couloir Express lift. Lot's of options, big open faces, major cornices. Doesn't seem like many people tour around there. Goat Rocks looks mighty intriguing!
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2012 08:22 #204433 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: White Pass touring options?
Sunday looks like a powder day at the resort with light snow showers thru the day. Have you ever toured from WP? Also do you have an idea of what you want to ski, ex. the steeps, or the trees, or the most vertical or just side country and do laps with riding the chair, or looking for a touring and exploring all day type of trip where the skiing is secondary to the hiking? These ideas all have different routes and options and if you can be more specific I will try to help.
I will be up there on Sunday, but because there should be a fair amount of fresh snow from overnite Saturday I plan on skiing the west ridge of chair six until it gets tracked and then do a side country option in the afternoon from chair 5.

More
09 Mar 2012 08:44 #204434 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: White Pass touring options?
we've skied White Pass and the Hogsback slackcountry before, but Becky and I were curious if there other destinations for bc only as we were hoping to skip buying a lift ticket one day and just skin for turns...sounds like most of the bc terrain is what we've seen before...all the bowls south of the resort. 
Assuming the management allows folks to skin along the fringes of the resort to access the bc terrain to the south, we'll just go put-put around there one day and then do an inbounds/slackcountry day the other. 

More
09 Mar 2012 16:02 #204440 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: White Pass touring options?
I'd say just look where you want to go and go then. I have seen people skinning up from the bottom so I think you are OK there. Have a good one.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
09 Mar 2012 16:32 #204441 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: White Pass touring options?
How about Tumac Mountain? I've only been in there during the summer months. It may not even be worth it, and it's 4 or 5 miles in through forested terrain.

Does Dog Mountain hold enough snow to ski?

• Passenger
  • [Passenger]
More
09 Mar 2012 17:07 #204442 by Passenger
Replied by Passenger on topic Re: White Pass touring options?
I was out on Thursday. Just about every slope is completely covered in debris from the warm and sunny weather. It will take a fair amount of new to keep you above the death cookies.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
09 Mar 2012 17:26 #204444 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: White Pass touring options?

How about Tumac Mountain? I've only been in there during the summer months. It may not even be worth it, and it's 4 or 5 miles in through forested terrain.

Tumac's an interesting ski tour but you don't go there for the turns.  It's a long tour through largely viewless forest until you mount the summit cone.