Telemark Tech System

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Sep 2011 09:51 #201754 by Zap
Telemark Tech System was created by Zap
I have been a rando skier for 20 plus years.  I started with Paul Ramers binding and then I switched to Dynafit bindings about 15 years ago.  I found this recent posting by Craig Dostie at the Couloir site interesting for the telemark market.  The Dynafit/Tech system is expanding its reach.  ;)

www.earnyourturns.com/4970/dynafit-goes-...elieve-it/#more-4970

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Sep 2011 09:53 #201755 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
Love seeing more info about this setup. I've been on it since May. It tours incredibly well, of course, and skis well too -- much better than I thought it would.

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
26 Sep 2011 20:51 #201770 by Snoqualmonix
Replied by Snoqualmonix on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
Thanks for posting this, very useful info to have on the radar.  I've been struggling with the use of telemark as a tool for alpinism, largely because of the 'climbability' of duckbills on ice and easy 5th class rock.

After seeing what is being used in the Alps last March for ski-mountaineering I was blown away and obviously envious.

Marcus, has your use of this system been strictly skinning or booting spring/summer snow?  Have you, or anyone you know, used this system in conjunction with mixed routes or any type of ice climbing?

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Sep 2011 22:08 #201774 by Marcus
Morgan, my use of the TTS has been almost entirely skinning & booting spring/summer snow -- I first skied the setup in June, I think.

The boots I have (Scarpa TX) would do fine for anything you'd be able to do with a ski boot -- I've climbed easy 5th and super-easy ice in my T2s and the TX are far superior for that kind of thing.

More
27 Sep 2011 09:16 #201776 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
Cool. Good to see Mark Lengel jump into a new project after losing the Trab distributorship.

What's with those boots? Terminator X's with F3 cuffs?

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2011 09:26 #201777 by Marcus

The TX was Scarpa's first boot for the NTN binding -- the new telemark norm. They licensed Dynafit fittings in the boot when they first produced it, so I switched over to NTN last year to get a new boot that could tele and use Dyna bindings. NTN's a good binding, but much heavier than the TTS, which is why I picked up the TTS as well when I saw it -- that, and half of my NTN setup was buried in slide debris until June.

More
27 Sep 2011 10:17 #201781 by gregL
So you ski with the toe in the fully unlocked position?

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2011 10:21 #201782 by Marcus
Yup -- the toe's locked up for skinning, obviously, but unlocked for skiing. I was pretty skeptical that the toe would hold the boot in place with the strong forward pressure from the heel throw, especially with the heel lifted, but it doesn't budge. Has excellent torsional stiffness too.

More
27 Sep 2011 13:47 #201785 by gregL
Anyone try it with F3's? They're quite a bit lighter . . . no "T" in the nomenclature, though . . .

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2011 13:52 #201786 by Marcus
I think Mark mentioned that he's had some folks trying it with F3s and that it worked fine, though maybe I'm mixing some conversations together. The TX aren't light, that's for sure -- I think lighter weight boots are still the biggest gap in tele, having held a pair of TLT5s...

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
27 Sep 2011 14:38 #201787 by Snoqualmonix

The boots I have (Scarpa TX) would do fine for anything you'd be able to do with a ski boot -- I've climbed easy 5th and super-easy ice in my T2s and the TX are far superior for that kind of thing. 

You just described my current boot and some of the terrain I'm speaking of, thanks.

As far as the weight, it's a pretty heavy boot eh'? That's the other crux, when I held Silas' TLT5 last June I thought the damn thing was going to fly out of my hand! A climbable and skiable boot that feels as light as a XC low-top!

Even with the TTS, I'll still have to watch from the shadows as there's no way I have the coin to make that happen before next spring's alpine climbing season. Maybe I'll have to get my amigo tele.skier into his mad-science binding lab ;-).

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2011 14:44 #201788 by Marcus
I swear I'm not just squatting on this thread... but I do love talking gear.

Yeah, it's a heavy boot. It's a couple of ounces heavier than my T2s. It's really comfortable though, for what that's worth, with power more akin to my T1s, so you're getting more out of the boot.

It's a bag of cement next to the TLT5 though.

It may not help you, but Mark/Wasatch has been selling a conversion kit which includes everything except the Dynafit toepiece -- that's the route I took, since I had a spare pair of toes kicking around.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
27 Sep 2011 20:08 - 27 Sep 2011 20:13 #201790 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: Telemark Tech System

Maybe I'll have to get my amigo tele.skier into his mad-science binding lab ;-).

Funny that you should mention the mad-science binding lab. I finished the final modifications to the "free pivot" NTN's today. Prototype work SUCKS! Making one of a kind parts by hand is painfully slow work. They absolutely work. We shall see how much better they are on my first tour with them. The nice thing is that anyone with NTN boots on can try them. I look forward to getting some feedback from a few other NTN users.

The only other thing I need to do is,.... at some point skeletonize the entire binding to reduce the weight I am hoping to get the pair under 4lbs. That's a loss of 3/4 of a LB for the pair.

At some point I will publish the modification. It's waaaaay more work than anyone other then a maniac like myself would ever bother to attempt. I don't see anyone paying me to do it for them either since it would void their warrantee with rottefella... so..  the lab is open... beuller?? or should I say Uller???

Both you and Craig Dostie seem pretty high in the TTS, Marcus... Can I ask you how much you weigh Marcus?.... I am about 210lbs right now. TTS looks small to me....

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2011 20:39 #201792 by Marcus
Sure Frank -- I'm about 170 or so. TTS does look small, but I'll be curious to hear what you think if you get on a pair. Mark and I talked about it when I first got them and he's not 170, according to him -- he skis them hard, inbounds and out, and hasn't had a problem. Of course, he made them, so grain of salt and all that...

Pics of the NTN mods! I love that stuff. Rumor has it Rotte is working on their own NTN BC version, but if the TTS takes off they may miss the boat.

More
29 Sep 2011 13:18 #201828 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
My interest was peaked at the sight of the tele boot in the dynafit toe piece and I thought that someone had developed a tele binding that would allow you to lock your heel down for parallel turns if you so desired in certain terrain conditions, but from what I have read it seems that it still remains a dynafit toe for tele turns unless I am mistaken. How great would that be to be able to do both with one binding. Back when I used to tele with pins and a cable I thought cable guides on the side of the ski to hold the cable tight with the heel down like in old cable alpine bindings might work but never pursued the concept. Maybe that will be the next step in design evolution where you can tele or alpine with one binding and boot. Remember the old tele boots without the flex part in the toe, they used to work quite well.

More
29 Sep 2011 15:51 #201834 by md2020
Replied by md2020 on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
The only thing I don't like about TTS is that it doesn't make use of the NTN second heel. I'd like to see a dynafit toe piece mounted somehow in place of the stainless steel NTN toe piece along with all the NTN touring hardware. Someone should send Frank a Dynafit toe and let him have at it.

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
19 Oct 2011 21:06 #202078 by Snoqualmonix

Someone should send Frank a Dynafit toe and let him have at it.

Yeah, here's what he could do with just a few spare pieces.

Cool work Frank!

• fsckchun
  • [fsckchun]
More
21 Oct 2011 14:20 #202084 by fsckchun
Replied by fsckchun on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
Very interesting my AT friend - but you must learn to Tele first!

More
23 Oct 2011 14:22 #202093 by Web
Replied by Web on topic Re: Telemark Tech System

I think Mark mentioned that he's had some folks trying it with F3s and that it worked fine, though maybe I'm mixing some conversations together. The TX aren't light, that's for sure -- I think lighter weight boots are still the biggest gap in tele, having held a pair of TLT5s...

Anyone try with Scarpa F1s? The race/carbon models would be competitive weight-wise with the tlt5.

If you want to try I put some 28.5 standard F1s up for sale.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Oct 2011 11:47 #202118 by Marcus
Hey Web -- I think I misspoke. I think Mark's actually on F1s and has a bunch of friends on F3s... either way, it sounds like the system works well with both boots. If I find a pair of F1s that fit my feet, I might pick them up... I'd have to wear 3 or 4 pairs of socks to fit yours though :)

• telemark vinny
  • [telemark vinny]
More
06 Feb 2013 09:59 #208457 by telemark vinny
Replied by telemark vinny on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
I jumped on the bandwagon and found a pair of F3s to test out.

to be honest- F3s not too stiff but my issue was the flex point (not designed for Tele) exhausted my feet particularly on groomers in bounds. It would be fine and light for a tour set up (less turns overall than in bounds).
Control was great!
the upside was that once feet were tired I could crank parallel turns with great control.

I'll be testing out TX pros in TTS this wkd. there is a sx 26 TX pro posted on list in case that is your size (Doug)
happy turns,
Kevin

More
09 Feb 2013 08:35 #208513 by runcle
Replied by runcle on topic Re: Telemark Tech System
"I'll be testing out TX pros in TTS this wkd.  there is a sx 26 TX pro posted on list in case that is your size (Doug)
happy turns,
Kevin "

Kevin:

I have a pair of f1s and wonder if  the bellows and stiff flex is too stiff for continuous tele turns.   I do think the flex point of the AT boot is an interesting point but (Dostie) and others report good success with it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

DH

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Feb 2013 11:05 #208516 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Telemark Tech System

the upside was that once feet were tired I could crank parallel turns with great control.

You are reminding me of the slippery slope that led me to finally lock my heels down, which of course gives even more control for those parallel turns, especially in stuff like breakable crust ;)

Interesting to see some fairly new designs brewing for free heel