Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > France in February

France in February

• BackseatRider
  • [BackseatDriver]
More
09 Dec 2010 12:00 #195523 by BackseatRider
France in February was created by BackseatRider
I'm a long-time lurker on the site and have come to appreciate the expertise present here. 

I'm going to Paris for work in the end of January and I'm thinking about heading to Chamonix for a couple of days.  I've done a fair amount of reading online, but it's hard to really know what I'd be getting myself into.

My issue is that I am not a knowledgeable backcountry skier.  I get in 20 to 30 ski days a year and am competent on all lift-served terrain in all conditions I've experienced, but I don't have any avy knowledge to speak of, have only been skinning once before, and have no glacier travel experience.   At the ski areas (mostly around here and Snowbird/Alta), I am usually off-piste, playing in the trees and on the steeper stuff. 

So, my questions:

Where and to what extent can I find off-piste but "near-piste" terrain that is reasonably safe (conditions permitting) for unguided skiing? In what areas (Les Houches looks like the right idea)?

Any recommendations for guided skiing for someone with my background?   I'm willing to push my boundaries a bit with the right support.

Any other advice?

Thanks, and, as a reward, I've attached some epic stoke from Gasworks park during the December storm in 2008. I call this shot "rollin' down the windows."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2010 14:32 - 09 Dec 2010 17:38 #195528 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: France in February
There is perfectly reasonable, more-or-less US style lift-served skiing all over the Chamonix valley. Sometimes it may look as though everyone is super hardcore, but the average European skier is no better than his/her US counterpart and probably gets less yearly mileage. US style lift-served to me means they do some grooming, have a ski patrol, and food (sometimes very good food) available on the hill. If you have a problem, someone will come to your aid without having to have special "carte neige" insurance or calling in a heli by cell phone.

Les Houches and Flegere are probably the most mellow of the areas close to town; Brevent is in the middle, and Grands Montets offers the most challenging skiing on-piste and arguably the best views. If you stay within the area boundaries and can ski all conditions well in the PNW, you should be fine at any of them. The differences are that the French don't mark potentially fatal hazards (at least very well) once you get off the beaten path, and don't police the area boundaries checking on whether you have safety gear or knowledge - they assume you do, will hire someone who does, or if you die won't (can't) sue them. It's pretty much like skiing at Crystal or Stevens, with longer lunches, wine, and an extra 3,000 vert to get all the way down.

Hiring a guide is not cheap, but can be split among several people, and can greatly facilitate any off-piste trip. Normally a guide will assess your ski ability immediately and know exactly what you are capable of within a few minutes - it's their stock-in-trade to be able to challenge a client without hurting them. If you have good weather, it might be worth hiring a guide to ski the Vallee Blanche, which only requires basic ski skills (although there are a few crux points where you don't want to fall in crevasses, the skiing is for the most part nearly flat). The scenery is incredible, but don't bother if it's not clear weather.

Edited to add: If the weather is bad in Chamonix, don't hesitate to check out the skiing on the other (Italian) side of the mountain, the locals do this a lot. You will probably want a guide for this, as the route from Hellbronner is not really self-explanatory, and usually involves a butt-slide to rock landing or two and a long walk down a multi-flight ladder, but it gives you the feeling of big-mountain skiing without fall-you-die risk and it's usually very uncrowded.  The mid-mountain restaurant on the Italian side is incredible. There is a regular ski area on the Courmayeur side as well near the town.

More
09 Dec 2010 21:10 #195541 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: France in February
Damn ! You sure make sound appealing. I think I'll save this post.

• BackseatRider
  • [BackseatDriver]
More
10 Dec 2010 09:32 #195548 by BackseatRider
Replied by BackseatRider on topic Re: France in February
Fantastic. Thank you for the very useful reply. I was having a hard time getting a perspective that wasn't either hardcore or haute couture. If I make the trip work out, I'll leave the peanut butter sandwiches at home, take pictures, and report back.

More
10 Dec 2010 18:59 #195571 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: France in February
If you like peanut butter, you'd better take some with you - it's in high demand in certain Chamonix circles (Americans and some French who've climbed or lived in the US). However, a fresh baguette with brie and pate de fois gras is easy to find and hard to beat. Check out the sausage place on the main drag in Cham, it's amazing.

• Vera_Similitude
  • [Vera_Similitude]
More
17 Dec 2010 12:24 #195672 by Vera_Similitude
Replied by Vera_Similitude on topic Re: France in February
Why Chamonix? There is so much good skiing in France it's ridiculous and Switzerland and Italy are just as easy to access.
Other options include:
Briancon - Aside from Serre Chevalier stretching up the valley toward the Col de Lauteret and La Grave from Briancon the followiung areas are within an hours drive:
La Grave
Milky Way (Saulz d'Oulx, Sestriere, Claviere, Montgenevre, etc) one of the largest ski ares in the world)
Vars-Risoul
Mont Cenis
Val Frejus
Val Thorens (newer lift up from the Maurienne that accesses Les Trois Vallees, another in the running for the largets ski area in the world.

Or try Bourg St. Maurice which accesses Espace Killy (Tignes-Val d'Isere), Les Arcs and a bunch of other places.

One word of caution regarding skiing en France in February is les vacances: the french take a winter holiday usually the last 3 weeks of February and the resorts tend to be more crowded then.

• BackseatRider
  • [BackseatDriver]
More
17 Dec 2010 18:07 #195674 by BackseatRider
Replied by BackseatRider on topic Re: France in February
Vera, I figure Chamonix simply because it's a mecca of sorts, so why not?  The "trip for work" is a job interview, so, with luck, I'll get to try out all the places you mention over the next few years.  Thanks for the warning about les vacances.  I'll be there the first weekend in February, so hopefully I beat the worst of the crowds. 

Tim, thanks for the link to to guides.  I'm trying to talk two friends into joining me and if they come, a guide becomes a lot more cost friendly.  If I get the chance, I'll look these folks up.

• mccallboater
  • [mccallboater]
More
18 Dec 2010 17:03 #195698 by mccallboater
Replied by mccallboater on topic Re: France in February
Stay Here in Chamonix .  Great place, nice people, not too expensive. 

Some Pics from last September.

Ski this while you are there.

More
18 Dec 2010 19:26 #195701 by JimH
Replied by JimH on topic Re: France in February
Adding a vote for Verbier.

And a vote for these guys - www.picos-online.de/

I did a trip with them several years back with a friend living in Munich. Language was not a barrier and they have lots of different groups running all the time, so if you're solo you may be able to latch on to one for a reasonable price on short notice. Their other clientele certainly did not slow me down - never a sure thing, but maybe their focus on skiing with a euro clientele helps. One of their guys, Thomas Merkel, is at Skiers Lodge in La Grave which could also be a decent option if you need to plug into something solo and want to control costs.

Best of luck, on the job and the ski plans.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
14 Jan 2011 10:13 #196563 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: France in February
Adding my vote for Vallée Blanche. The skiing is not hard but the views are fantastic and there is a lot of history (both skiing and mountaineering) on display (Couloir Gervasutti, Bonatti Pillar and American Direct on Dru...). Plus it features one of the most exhilarating gondola rides in Europe.

For piste skiing in the Chamonix valley I liked Grandes Montets the most.

Here is a short slideshow from skiing Vallée Blanche in April 2008.

Good luck with your interview and have a blast skiing!

• bcglaxer
  • [bcglaxer]
More
21 Jan 2011 22:18 #196859 by bcglaxer
Replied by bcglaxer on topic Re: France in February
I was in Cham last year and found the on piste to be pretty boring, though the views were pristine. I'd recommend these guys for guides: cosleyhouston.com/home.htm Super supportive, incredibly competent. Get off piste! Otherwise you might as well be skiing groomers at Stevens :)