Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Safe Areas in Sno-pass when avy conditions are up

Safe Areas in Sno-pass when avy conditions are up

• BCnewby
  • [BCnewby]
More
19 Sep 2010 16:48 #193831 by BCnewby
I'm hoping to venture into the BC around Snoqualmie Pass a little this year and wanted to get some ideas of areas that are generally safe when avalanche conditions are elevated.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. The more detail you can provide (parking, approach, etc.) the better.

I'm hoping to avoid wasting a few days reconing areas that have little or not potential when conditions are up.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
19 Sep 2010 19:22 #193832 by wooley12
Summit East - inbounds?

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Sep 2010 20:19 #193833 by Scotsman
Under the Fremont bridge, that's were the other troll is.,

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Sep 2010 20:29 #193835 by Marcus
If you're serious, the first thing you need to do is get yourself registered in an avalanche education class.  There are many factors involved in assessing avalanche terrain and conditions and you're not likely to find many people  that will feel comfortable simply pointing you to "X" location and telling you that it's a good place to go when NWAC says the risk is low.

Start with a class and find some experienced folks that are willing to take you out and help you learn.  You'll find plenty of them here, but you probably ought to give a little more info about your experience.  As you can see, the regulars are either playing it ultra-safe with their recommendations or guessing that maybe you're having a little fun, waiting for the snow to fall.

• CookieMonster
  • [CookieMonster]
More
19 Sep 2010 20:35 #193836 by CookieMonster
Replied by CookieMonster on topic Re: Safe Areas in Sno-pass when avy conditions are up
Since you self-describe as a novice, have you thought about taking an avalanche safety training course? ProGuiding is the best: www.proguiding.com/

There are guidebooks, including Martin Volken's guide to the Snoqualmie Pass backcountry. Other than that, you probably don't want to come onto this board and post lazy stuff.

Try Google, and have a nice winter.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
20 Sep 2010 15:28 #193842 by Chuck C
Try Nordic Pass down to Olallie Meadows or the ridge north of Nordic Pass (labeled "radio facility" on the 7.5 map?) skiing down towards Frog Lake and Hidden Valley (backside of Hyak). Lots of big nicely spaced trees with a nice consistent slope. There's one clearing I can think of that might be a problem but that's it. Should hold snow well too.

I second Marcus' comment about the class.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 Sep 2010 16:48 - 24 Sep 2010 16:54 #193896 by Randito
Took the mountaineers avalanche level I course a couple of years ago and felt it was more through than other courses I've taken.   I believe non-members can take the course for a slightly higer fee.

www.mountaineers.org//source/atrips/view...ent=23980&source=pop

Hex Mtn out by Roslyn is favorite destination of mine when avalanche conditions concern me.  www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/wa/ronald/582896893322

Note that GPS trace was made on a "moderate" stability day and skiis some slopes that I would avoid on less stable days.

So there is no such thing as completely safe terrain or routes -- take a level I course and pay particular attention to the routefinding section.