Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Opinions on Ortovox S1 or Ortovox Patroller?

Opinions on Ortovox S1 or Ortovox Patroller?

• Springahead
  • [Springahead]
More
28 Mar 2010 22:49 #191133 by Springahead
Hi there -

I'm in need of a new avy transciever. I've used a Ortovox Barryvox in the past and loved it. I cannot find it readily available these days. Does anybody have any opinions on the Ortovox S1 or the Ortovox Patroller? I'm intersted in ease of use, weight, strap, etc. All opinions are welcome!

For anybody interested, both are on sale at REI now.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Mar 2010 08:29 #191135 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Opinions on Ortovox S1 or Ortovox Patroller?
Welcome to TAY!
Great question to ask as a first post. Should get good feedback and lots of opinions.

I've used a Ortovox Barryvox in the past and loved it.

Do you mean Barryvox Pulse?
I just got one of those (w/3.0 Software) and it seems to be very effective in search mode. Quick and easy to find beacons. The instructions are a little less than helpful, they could be a little more helpful, but it is a reasonably intuitive device, so learning on it is simple. Just would be more helpful to have better guidelines from the instructions, especially for multiple search modes.
One of the cool features if others in your group have the Pulse is that, if properly worn it detects your pulse, so others can determine in multiple searches to let you go if you are not sending a pulse and work on the ones who are pulsing.
I have a friend who's business is backcounty tour groups. He researched both the Barryvox and S1 extensively. He said either one is just super, but placed slight favor on the Barryvox for ease of use and multiple burial use.

The S1 is a fine piece of equipment and you would be happy with that too, the Patroller I have no idea on.
If you need an effective beacon I have a barely used one for like $130.

• Springahead
  • [Springahead]
More
29 Mar 2010 08:45 #191138 by Springahead
Replied by Springahead on topic Re: Opinions on Ortovox S1 or Ortovox Patroller?
Hi there -

Thanks for the tips. You're right, what I used to have was a Barryvox Pulse. Now REI has a Ortovox Patroller, which is much cheaper than the S1 (although the S1 has bells and whistles as you mentioned).

What type of beacon are you selling for $130?

Thanks!

Welcome to TAY!
Great question to ask as a first post. Should get good feedback and lots of opinions.

Do you mean Barryvox Pulse?
I just got one of those (w/3.0 Software) and it seems to be very effective in search mode. Quick and easy to find beacons. The instructions are a little less than helpful, they could be a little more helpful, but it is a reasonably intuitive device, so learning on it is simple. Just would be more helpful to have better guidelines from the instructions, especially for multiple search modes.
One of the cool features if others in your group have the Pulse is that, if properly worn it detects your pulse, so others can determine in multiple searches to let you go if you are not sending a pulse and work on the ones who are pulsing.
I have a friend who's business is backcounty tour groups. He researched both the Barryvox and S1 extensively. He said either one is just super, but placed slight favor on the Barryvox for ease of use and multiple burial use.

The S1 is a fine piece of equipment and you would be happy with that too, the Patroller I have no idea on.
If you need an effective beacon I have a barely used one for like $130.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Mar 2010 09:15 #191142 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Opinions on Ortovox S1 or Ortovox Patroller?
Check your personal messages for info on the avy transciever.