Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > French/Swiss/Italian Alps

French/Swiss/Italian Alps

• bcglaxer
  • [bcglaxer]
More
17 Jan 2010 20:52 #189912 by bcglaxer
French/Swiss/Italian Alps was created by bcglaxer
At the beginning of March, I will land in Geneva and have nine days to roam the alps in search of powder before leaving out of Lyon. I definitely want to finish the trip in Chamonix, but where I begin is up in the air at the moment. I had hoped to make a stop in Zermatt, but affordable lodging is difficult to find at the moment. Are there other areas that would be convenient for for my flights folks could recommend? I will be traveling via train, which may influence recommendations.

Thanks,
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2010 09:46 #189917 by TonyM
Replied by TonyM on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps
Leysin is a great place with several ski options (list and non-lift). Access by train and about 2 hours from Geneva and a stones throw from France and Italy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leysin

Used to be a TB sanatorium due to it's high setting and southern exposure. Great place and a little off the beaten path, so you might find a deal here. Headed there in mid-March. Good luck!

• snoholic
  • [snoholic]
More
19 Jan 2010 08:40 #189938 by snoholic
Replied by snoholic on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps
The train connection from Zermatt to Chamonix is a little rough. Much easier and maybe cheaper if their is a few of you going to rent a car. Nice to have a car in Chamonix to get to the resorts. I have found the busses to be a giant pain during busy season. Port du soleil, Vebeir, and Courmayuer, are all great and easy to access from Chamonix.

Enjoy!

More
21 Jan 2010 19:27 #190045 by Snodger
Replied by Snodger on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps
plus one for Port du soleil!

I was very impressed with the amount of terrain and the ease of finding freshies late in the day when we skied there over the holidays.

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Jan 2010 21:36 - 22 Jan 2010 03:49 #190058 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps
With only nine days, I'd suggest renting a car to maximize ski time and minimize travel time, responding rapidly to breaks in the weather.  For example, drive Geneva to Chamonix, through the tunnel to Courmayeur and then Aosta.  Take the road up to Cervinia, ride the lifts to the Swiss border, ski down into Zermatt if that's on your tick list, lifts back up, ski down, drive back to Aosta for the night.  Some of us find Italian life and food to be really fun and less expensive than French and Swiss now that the dollar is so weak. 

If you'd like to know more about other lift and touring options near Aosta, PM me with details of what sort of skiing your seek:   lifts, side country, ski from the trailhead?  How steep?  Pay my transport, lodging, and dining and I will personally show you around the region.  If you're on a limited budget, pick one base and stay there, or if you feel really lucky, go to Chamonix and join a group to ski the Haute Route, tho March is a bit early to hope for reasonable weather.  www.cosleyhouston.com has lots of good ideas, maps, photos, and advice.

Wild International Travel Service (WITS)

• []
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2010 15:13 #190267 by 0
Replied by 0 on topic French/Swiss/Italian Alps
Remarkable post and trip
It seems to me like the French alps are somewhat wider and more open than the Italian roads i drove this sumer.
Gotta start planning at trip to France as well I see...

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
02 Feb 2010 15:46 #190268 by Good2Go
Replied by Good2Go on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps

With only nine days, I'd suggest renting a car to maximize ski time and minimize travel time, responding rapidly to breaks in the weather.  For example, drive Geneva to Chamonix, through the tunnel to Courmayeur and then Aosta.  Take the road up to Cervinia, ride the lifts to the Swiss border, ski down into Zermatt if that's on your tick list, lifts back up, ski down, drive back to Aosta for the night.  Some of us find Italian life and food to be really fun and less expensive than French and Swiss now that the dollar is so weak. 

If you'd like to know more about other lift and touring options near Aosta, PM me with details of what sort of skiing your seek:   lifts, side country, ski from the trailhead?  How steep?  Pay my transport, lodging, and dining and I will personally show you around the region.  If you're on a limited budget, pick one base and stay there, or if you feel really lucky, go to Chamonix and join a group to ski the Haute Route, tho March is a bit early to hope for reasonable weather.  www.cosleyhouston.com has lots of good ideas, maps, photos, and advice. 

Wild International Travel Service (WITS)

Anybody know if it's still illegal to tour off piste in Italy without a guide? I know when I was there about 5 years ago that was the case, and a buddy who spent a couple weeks at an Italian resort (can't remember which one) a couple years ago said it was still illegal. If so, you may want to avoid Italy entirely, unless of course it's snowing there and not elsewhere in the Alps. BTW - If it's snowing, La Grave is not to be missed!

• snoholic
  • [snoholic]
More
03 Feb 2010 19:04 #190275 by snoholic
Replied by snoholic on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps
Have not found it to be illegal. If leaving a from a Italian resort to go off piste, it is sometimes necessary to sign out. You will need to have some basic info on your route, and leave a phone # before the guard will let you go.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
04 Feb 2010 09:42 #190282 by Good2Go
Replied by Good2Go on topic Re: French/Swiss/Italian Alps

Have not found it to be illegal.  If leaving a from a Italian resort to go off piste, it is sometimes necessary to sign out.  You will need to have some basic info on your route, and leave a phone # before the guard will let you go.

Hmmm, they must have revoked the law, which is great news. Seemed ridiculous to me.