Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Romania/Austria/Slovenia = Receommendations needed

Romania/Austria/Slovenia = Receommendations needed

• Lin
  • [BaluDog]
More
13 Dec 2009 01:40 #189428 by Lin
Dear TAY:

You hooked me up with Skier's Lodge in La Grave, France, Rogers Pass, and Silverton, CO.  I love you.

Do you have similar suggestions for Romania, Austria, or Slovenia, or other?  I'm looking for another back country/side country/steep and ungroomed experience.

Thanks in advance,

Lin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2009 15:19 #189493 by NWBCer
Sure - St. Anton & Kitzbuel both have amazing off piste skiing. Coolies everwhere and few people skiing them. You can spot your line from the chair (or gondola or cablecar), and lap it up. Lots of very cool ascents and descents abound. Be aware though, if you eat it large there's payment to be made (cash or credit card accepted) for rescue.

Also had lots of fun at a bunch of other hills in Austria however Stanton and Kitz had the most off piste options and great coolies abound.

My kid and I tried to ski at Kranjska Gora in Slovenia, but sadly there wasn't enough snow. The Julian Alps are amazing and the skiing at KG looked sick (if the lifts had only been turning).

Have a bratwurst and weissbier for me!

More
15 Dec 2009 20:56 #189500 by Robie
We were in Romania Last summer. kinda like the wild west soon to be "found" Don't worry places that are "found" still have good spots.
We toured and hiked a bit but of course no skiing. Not a lot of fences. Not as alpine as Austria. Most of the ski areas are in Transylvania. Transylvan or wooded all over. 6000-7000' The coldest spot in Transylvania is the Cuic depression with a few ski areas there near Mericuria Cuic. Our Romanian friend Elvira and host says people ski tour all over. Lots of sports.She climbs ,skis, hanglides and races sled dogs. Beer and food outstanding. Lots of meat. Carpathians have dryer snow with ski areas scattered about. Here's a link of tours and a guide book in Bucegi mts. Brasov is neaar a quite afew ski areas .
There also some you tube stuff.
Also there is Robi a regular poster on Telemark tips who lives in Budapest Hungary who knows the area. Robi not to be confused with this Robie

www.montania.ro/en_Touring.htm

A picture from lunch and a picture taken near Mericuria Cuic

please post if you go .
Attachments: