Bugs

• bcglaxer
  • [bcglaxer]
More
10 Aug 2009 01:45 #187919 by bcglaxer
Bugs was created by bcglaxer
Is there anywhere in the Northwest where the bugs aren't absolutely miserable right now? From British Columbia to Snoqualmie Pass to the Olympic Peninsula, I haven't been able to get away from them since June. I'd love to get into the mountains this weekend (to climb if not ski) but I'm not certain I have enough blood left to survive another vampire assault from the skeeters. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2009 08:05 #187920 by blitz
Replied by blitz on topic Re: Bugs
I always keep one outer layer of clothing treated with PERM
ETHRIN every summer. You can by a kit at a hunting shop, maybe even REI. It is same thing we used on camis for the Marines when we deployed to SE Asia.

The treatment is good for about six weeks and six washings. Important to keep mosquitos from biting at places where your body tents your clothing - shoulders, hips, elbows.

More
10 Aug 2009 09:19 #187921 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Bugs
In my experience, July usually is the worst month in most mountain areas of the NW for bugs, as the snow melt of June makes the soil nice and moist.  We were in the Wallowas a week ago, and they weren't bad in the drainage we went up (E. Fork Eagle Creek), which I think is due to the fact that it is south-facing (so the snow melted earlier), and it doesn't have much flat, boggy area.  People we saw up around Eagle Cap said the Lakes Basin was pretty thick with them, though.

I'd guess that the bulk of them will be disappearing as the soil dries, with the exception of areas that are boggy and wet year-round.  Of course, once the mosquitoes leave, then we have to start thinking about forest fires... 

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Aug 2009 09:22 #187922 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Bugs
They weren't bad at all in the hills around exit 38 this weekend, so they might be thinning. The black fly hatch was last week/the week before, so they're probably dying off by now.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Aug 2009 09:31 #187923 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Bugs
We found no bug issues in the Teanaway area yesterday, and folks who had camped in Bean Creek Basin all weekend also said they were not being hassled by bugs. Reports on nwhikers.net suggest similar stories from at least a few other points across the range.

• garyabrill
  • [garyabrill]
More
10 Aug 2009 10:44 #187924 by garyabrill
Replied by garyabrill on topic Re: Bugs
I thought this was a trip report from the Bugaboos.....not really.

I found horrible bugs below 6500' at Spray Park during the hot spell. But even then they didn't come out until mid morning and weren't too bad in the evening near dusk and above 6500'. Since then I've been out a couple of times including Vesper last Thursday and didn't find that many bugs at all. Probably with the rain this week and cool temperatures some of them will die of old age before the next hatch arrives.

I think that south aspects help and that an early start, stay high, and a late return to the TH makes the bugs a very minor problem. Last year they seemed to stay around most of the summer with the frequent rains.

• Telemon
  • [Telemon]
More
10 Aug 2009 13:56 #187925 by Telemon
Replied by Telemon on topic Re: Bugs
Bugs were not an issue AFTER we left the Artist Point parking lot last weekend; hopefully this recent rain will not refresh the dying mosquito population.The yellowjackets seem to be a little early this year near my home, but it is rare to see a mosquito except at dusk.

• garyabrill
  • [garyabrill]
More
16 Aug 2009 22:03 #187986 by garyabrill
Replied by garyabrill on topic Re: Bugs
There's a hatch of skeeters starting..... There should be enough mosquitoes even for connoisseurs with the coming warm spell.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Aug 2009 07:13 #188019 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: Bugs
...my Summer bug story...

Two weeks ago, I took the grandkids out to Fremont Lookout via Frozen Lake.  There were some bushy little trees along the lower part of the trail.  The parking lot is what, about 6400 feet?   

Anyway, if you happen to stop on the trail next to one of those trees, then a swarm of mosquitoes would come out of the tree to greet us.  I quickly learned not to stop next to a tree.

The only other problem was that the kids wanted to stop and look at every rock on the trail.  Keep 'em moving!