Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > (your dog at) Hyak Plea

(your dog at) Hyak Plea

• hankj
  • [hankj]
More
18 Dec 2007 09:18 #179830 by hankj
(your dog at) Hyak Plea was created by hankj
while we're at it on the Snoqualmie access topic ...

The huge pile of dog shit that some idiot left sitting right smack ON TOP OF THE UNLOAD RAMP at the top of Hyak on Sunday ... what could you possibly be thinking!  I packed your dog's shit out w/ me, but:

Some poor lifty or patroller was going to roll up on that dog crap and have to remove it (or else step in it or stick a shovel in it if it got snowed over).  Does this build good will for dog owners like you?!  Or any "backcountry" users at all?  The nordic area patrollers who are around when the alpine isn't running are exceedingly nice to unticketed skiers playing around at Hyak.  Let's keep it that way.

There must have been 50 to 100 "BC" users up at Hyak enjoying the skiing on Sunday.  I'm far from an old timer, having enjoyed this area for only the past ten years, but I can remember a much, much quieter time at Hyak.  It has been a great place to get in a quick lap or two with my faithful, friendly doggy, and I'd hate to see harsher interpretation of the rules leading to us losing this convenient option.

I know there is a plenty logical "no dogs in the BC" contingent out there; Hyak on closed days is a great compromise.  My pup loves charging down hill maybe more than I do -- he absolutely radiates joyful stoke on the mountain -- so I'll pick up random dog shit, but I resent the irresponsible idiots who are shooting their own dogs in all four paws by just letting them shit all over the place.

SO: pack out your dog's shit -- my big black dog wears a backpack and packs out his own.  Or at least scoop it up off the run and get down a deep tree hole.  Burying it in the run just leads to more resentment come spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Dec 2007 11:11 - 18 Dec 2007 11:17 #179833 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
Even monday afternoon I saw at least 10 people hiking up the hill (and a couple dogs), and the face looked pretty tracked out. Sat/Sun the area was open for Nordic so when nordic is running they sometimes will not allow dogs on the slopes.

Hyak is a great place to hike with your dog as I did it for many years. Most of the locals and/or regulars on the hill are pretty respectful of issues such as trash and dog poo. I have my own issues of poo from my neighbors in my parking spot at my cabin, but that is a whole other issue......

Word is they may open the lifts this weekend for downhill so if your going to hike sat or sun with your dog, Hyak might not work for ya.

My dog going up Hyak a few years ago.
hyak.net/jonley/050502.jpg

More
18 Dec 2007 11:12 #179834 by Rickster
Replied by Rickster on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
I have to agree- don't often see that many people at Hyak when the runs are open.  Usually only a dog or 2; but it was a crazy stinky place.  I saw a couple people complaining about someones flee bag dumping on the trails.  I scooped a pile out of the groomed track.

I'd expect to see a sign about no dogs- they used to have them; but don't remember seeing them.  The area has a new manager and he might not be as pouch friendly as the past manager.  Once they have signs expect to see regulation and fines.

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
18 Dec 2007 11:22 #179835 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
How do you know it was a dog, eh?

• hankj
  • [hankj]
More
18 Dec 2007 12:53 #179837 by hankj
Replied by hankj on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea

How do you know it was a dog, eh?

I'm not even going to think about that.

Signs and fines are what I want to avoid. Dogs are like guns; some owners are the problem. Or maybe it is the bullets ...

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Dec 2007 16:50 #179842 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
I doubt fines will ever happen. Sometimes some of the neighborhood dogs will wander out looking to play. It is not too often, but I've seen it from time to time. I had to chase my dog back a few times when he was young, he would see people and run to go play.

Just need owners to scoop the poop, but some like to look away and pretend it didn't happen.

More
18 Dec 2007 19:30 #179850 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
Dog shit alright !
Attachments:

More
18 Dec 2007 20:01 #179851 by Salal
Replied by Salal on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
awesome

More
18 Dec 2007 21:23 #179854 by cochise
Replied by cochise on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
I'm more worried how many people are clicking on Robie's picture.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Dec 2007 22:16 #179855 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: (your dog at) Hyak Plea
That photo title's the funniest thing I've seen all day. Thanks!