Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Non-motorized user group support request

Non-motorized user group support request

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
09 Apr 2007 17:27 #177800 by Charles
This announcement and request for a show of support is from Todd Stiles, Winter Recreation Manager for Cle Elum Ranger District, Wenatchee National Forest. It was dated April 4, 2007, and permission was given to post it here. Please note that the deadline for the grant funding described below is May 1, 2007, so your comments should be submitted before that date.

====================
Dear non-motorized winter recreation enthusiast,
This letter is to ask for non-motorized user group support, in our effort to pursue grant funding for our winter recreation program. We want to continue building on the momentum of our efforts in the last two winter seasons to serve the winter recreation needs of all user groups, and promote well-being between non-motorized and motorized enthusiasts. This past two winter seasons, we have had six snow rangers patrolling sno-parks and winter trails. We have performed signing and maintenance work at sno-parks and trails throughout the Cle Elum Ranger District, and we have performed significant maintenance and signing work on our Nordic ski trails. We have worked to educate winter recreation visitors on safety, avalanche awareness, trail etiquette, winter survival, and in protecting Nordic trails from snowmobile trespass and damage.

Appropriated Forest Service budget for winter recreation patrol and ski trail maintenance is very limited, consequently, we are re-applying for our current Washington State Parks funding, and our current National Recreation Trails Program (NRTP) funding. Much of the success of our winter season is due to grant funding, and continuing to provide the best possible service to the public will require continued grant funding. In the last two seasons, we have patrolled all 65 miles of our Nordic ski trails and spent significant time signing our formal non-motorized areas and voluntary non-motorized areas. Our ski trail maintenance efforts have improved both our groomed trail network and backcountry trails as well. Our crew has performed heavy pole-saw maintenance on the trails at Cabin Creek, Crystal Springs, Salmon La Sac, and the Blewett Pass/Tronsen area. This year we have met in the field and or engaged in work parties with the following groups: Kongsberger Ski Club, Ski For Light, Sons of Norway, Washington Alpine Club, Snoqualmie Nordic Club, Ellensburg Ski Club, Washington Ski Touring Club, Washington Trails Association, and the Wenatchee Chapter (El Senderro- Winter Wildlands Alliance). We want to continue serving the non-motorized community.

A statement of support for our snow ranger education and enforcement program from the non-motorized community would be a great addition to our application packages. We plan to apply through: Washington State Parks Winter Recreation Program, the Snowmobile Advisory Committee, and National Recreation Trails Program (NRTP). User support of snow ranger education activities and ski trail maintenance expressed in writing would be greatly appreciated. This winter our snow rangers and law enforcement officer provided 2,568 hours of winter patrol, or 321 Officer Days. Educating user groups and enforcing regulations ultimately benefits the winter recreation in Kittitas County, and helps keep non-motorized winter users on par with the snowmobile community. We look forward to a continued partnership with the non-motorized community. All of our application packages are due by May 1, 2007. Your swift response would help greatly. All letters may be sent directly to me at the above address [below in this posting], or my e-mail address is: "tstiles01 AT fs DOT fed DOT us" [in usual anti-spam code].

Sincerely,
Todd Stiles, Winter Recreation Manager
==================
The mailing address for comments is:
803 W. 2nd St.
Cle Elum, WA 98922

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
13 Apr 2007 11:01 #177845 by Larry_R
Replied by Larry_R on topic Re: Non-motorized user group support request
Thanks to Charles for posting this. I would like to encourage all TAYers who make use of the terrain off I-90 east of the crest as well as the Swauk pass area including Tronsen to write to Todd to show support for all the progress he and his winter rec staff have made.

A number of posts on this forum have expressed an interest in having the Forest Service provide this or that service, but nothing can happen without funding. The budgets of the local Ranger Districts have taken a huge hit in recent years, enough so that federal funding of additional winter programs or services does not appear possible from what I have heard. Even summer programs are hard hit. For example, and as I remember, the Levenworth Ranger District used to have 16 backcountry rangers; now they have only a few.

Fortunately, there are other sources of funding that the FS can use for winter recreation, and in the last few years, Todd successfully applied for some of these grants. Letters of support directly affect the chances of the Cle Elum RD being awarded continued funding, so I hope those interested will take time to write.

Yes, the FS should not have to request grants in this manner, but the solution to this matter is -- beyond the scope of this forum I suppose.

Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.