Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > $3.00 Crampons

$3.00 Crampons

• tardigrade
  • [tardigrade]
More
12 May 2006 13:41 #175268 by tardigrade
$3.00 Crampons was created by tardigrade
I thought it would be nice to get a pair of crampons for touring. The only ones I could find were either really expensive or didnt come close to fitting my skis (Volkl Gotamas). So I made some out of some framing pieces. My receipt from Home depot looks something like this: Frame Anchor [SIMPSON Strong-tie A35Z NER-413] 4@ 1.96, TIE PLATE [SIMPSON... NER-432] 2@ $0.39, TAX 0.24 TOTAL $2.98. You also need some rivets and a rivet gun which I already had laying around. I got to test them out at hyak last friday morning before a long day of bump skiing at alpental. The snow was pretty sticky so it is really hard to tell how well they will work. At least I know the sandwich the crampon between skins method actually holds. They measure somewhere around 115-120 mm. Check out the pictures to see how they fit together.

some photos:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2006 19:49 #175277 by Hyakbc
Replied by Hyakbc on topic Re: $3.00 Crampons
Love it. This makes my cheapskate heart sing. Don't they usually go over the top of the ski?

• tardigrade
  • [tardigrade]
More
13 May 2006 21:13 #175279 by tardigrade
Replied by tardigrade on topic Re: $3.00 Crampons

Love it. This makes my cheapskate heart sing. Don't they usually go over the top of the ski?

That was the original plan. I still may do it but it would involve drilling holes in my skis which i am a bit afraid to try. I did try attaching it to my binding but when I have the heal lifts up they barely reach the snow. I suppose I could try putting some sort of spacer between the binding and the crampon. Ill post again when I get a real icy day test with them.

• Mjölnir
  • [jmccallum]
More
14 May 2006 22:25 #175281 by Mjölnir
Replied by Mjölnir on topic Re: $3.00 Crampons
Thats a great idea! I've been wondering why I would shell out $50 for 2 pieces of aluminum...

I notice with my expensive ski crampons on my fritchis - if I use the heel lifters at all the crampons are practically useless. The dynafit ski crampons seem to have a little spacer thing that allevates some of the problem. Its would be interesting if you could model yours after the dynafit types.

I also believe there is a guy in mt shasta that custom makes ski crampons. would be cool to check out some of his designs also.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 May 2006 18:55 #175285 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: $3.00 Crampons
I'd be interested in seeing how well they work and how durable they are.    At $3 a pop it's NBFD to replace them for each trip -- but if they fall apart in an exposed place during a trip that might a little less fun.

More
18 May 2006 12:39 #175317 by Jerm
Replied by Jerm on topic Re: $3.00 Crampons
They must be on the heavy side, that's galvanized steel. But, for $3 bucks, can't complain.
Anyone ever try simply bending some thick aluminum sheeting and cutting with tinsnips? Isn't that essentially what the commercial ones are, or are they cast?

• climbinghighest
  • [climbinghighest]
More
18 May 2006 12:57 #175318 by climbinghighest
Replied by climbinghighest on topic Re: $3.00 Crampons
Most likely not casted, there probably cut out on a laser, then formed with a pressbrake. However, they probably use high grade airplane aluminum.