Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Day trip suggestions

Day trip suggestions

• BreSchneid
  • [BreSchneid]
More
09 Jun 2005 05:56 #171866 by BreSchneid
Day trip suggestions was created by BreSchneid
I'm heading out to Ashford, WA from Vermont for the rest of the summer in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to get some good turns in. Based on recent conditions, can anyone out there give some good suggestions for some good day trips on the south side of MRNP or other areas not too far away? I'll most likely be doing some solo trips, so avi danger is definitely a big concern. I've been reading up on some trip reports, sounds like Muir Snowfields would be a good introduction to the area.<br><br>Along those lines, if anyone is looking for someone to ride with, let me know. Avi level 2 and WFR/OEC certified.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2005 06:09 #171867 by jt
Replied by jt on topic Re: Day trip suggestions
Muir is good especially for a workout. Wait for too long and the suncups become pretty brutal. Down lower and slightly to the east is the Paradise Glacier with a few fun lines to ski. The turtle snowfield as well would be good for getting away from the Paradise/Muir crowds.<br><br>While not on the S. side of Rainier, the Interglacier provides some fun out of Glacier Basin.<br><br>Each of these areas is generally skiable all year and relatively crevasse-free and avalanche-safe. Obviously take normal precautions regardless.<br><br>Hope you enjoy your stay. I'll post something when I make it down for some summer turns in late July and into August.

More
09 Jun 2005 15:06 #171882 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Day trip suggestions
Unicorn Glacier (more like a permanent snow field) is a fun trip just for the veiws.Skiing is short but with a good pitch.Hike in through Snow and Bench lake accessed from the Steven's canyon road. Includes a cool scramble up a gulley. As you might already know we are suffering from a low snow year. The North side of the mountain has some good trips as well.