Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Spray Park+ : Knapsack Pass or by the falls?

Spray Park+ : Knapsack Pass or by the falls?

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Jun 2005 18:35 - 08 Jun 2005 18:36 #171864 by Jim Oker
I've noticed several TRs on Spray Park/Flett/Russell Glacier in the past few weeks, and all describe going via the official trail past the falls. A week and a half ago, we went up via the Knapsack Pass route, which appears a bit more direct, and was nowhere near as bad as the rangers tried to tell us (do they know they have a credibility problem, and why?). We had to hoof over the pass and a little past before we hit snow (but the reputed boulder field/scree slope was well covered), and had to do a couple of skis on/off before continuous snow, but the line seemed direct and the climb over the pass seemed to add no more vertical than the trail loses before climbing to the falls. <br><br>All that said, I had a nagging feeling that at least for the down route, we were missing out on a somewhat more sensible line (a loop is perhaps a nice option - the pass was a pretty route), but my pal who had hiked the trail route twice last summer insisted we were avoiding a significant extra dose of trail drudgery.<br><br>Any opinions from folks who have actually done both routes and so can compare?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2005 09:18 #171871 by md2020
I don't know about that. The trail up to Spray Park is damn easy - well maintained and not too far. I'm not sure the Knapsack Pass route puts you where you want to be for skiing above Spray Park. Too far north I think.

More
09 Jun 2005 10:15 #171872 by ron j
I tend to agree with Michael (at least in part ;))<br>I've gone both ways...<br>And while I would definitely opt for Knapsack Pass if the route from Mowich to Spray Park were completely snow covered (and avy conditions were manageable), especially for the return ski down from Knapsack to the lake, I think both routes are miserable for slightly different reasons :)<br><br>Knapsack, the obvious shorter of the two, seems pretty straight forward until you take the right turn out of the pass and start across country heading for the mountain; but then, as Michael points out, it seems like and endless trek to me, getting around Mt Plesant and up into Spray Park.<br><br>As your pal aptly points out, the standard falls trail, roughly 5 miles of well maintained and mildly irritating up and down terrain on the way in, seems to turn into about TEN miles of steep, torturous, never ending undulations on the way back out. It does help to stash a brew in the creek for a respite on the way out but the trade off there is it seems to make the trail back even longer. &gt;:(<br><br>The last few times I've done the trip I've grudgingly taken the falls trail, moaning all the way back out that there MUST be some decent snow somewhere that's a little closer to the car. ;)<br><br>Of course, there are those that enjoy hiking as much as they enjoy skiing who may consider me somewhat of an ogre on the subject of that trail... ???

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jun 2005 13:23 #171877 by Jim Oker
Thanks - Ron, your'e pretty much confirming my quick take. I didn't mind the meandering ski on the way up from Knapsack (and the hike over the pass was way cool), but it started getting irritating on the way down, especially given the rather few and far between opportunities for actual turns rather than just gliding or shuffling (or carrying).

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jun 2005 15:12 #171883 by Randito
The first time I went via Knapsack pass -- we were in heavy fog I was following someone who allegedly been there before -- but he miss-navigated in the fog and we ended up a couple hundred yards north of the pass -- and about 4-500 vft above it. Pretty annoying!!.<br><br>The snow heading south from the pass was deep mush and we kicked off some of those creeping "slush-avalanches" on the traverse. <br><br>I think the Knapsack pass route is more effecient when you've skiied up the road and can ski directly across the frozen lake. Under such conditions it's also the more enjoyable exit route.<br><br>If you can't ski most of the slope between the lake and the pass -- I think the trail gets the nod.<br><br>The rangers are going to always reccommend that you "stay on established trails".

More
09 Jun 2005 15:22 #171884 by Robie
If the scree at Knapsack is covered with snow I'd go that way.Otherwise the trail is fine with me.If you get Ron J to tell jokes all the way out after drinking that stashed beer the trail wouldn't be so bad!

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Jun 2005 18:23 #171886 by Jim Oker
Ahh - the plot thickens. My pal will be pleased to see the discord, given that the scree was indeed covered (except for about 50 feet of it).

More
10 Jun 2005 07:15 #171893 by NickD
As usual, I think Ron stumbled toward the truth. Just last Saturday, as a friend and I returned from the Turtle, the Van Trump trail seemed to have doubled in length. Something about skis and boots on the pack has an elastic effect on trails. They seem to double in length in the afternoons. If it is dark they triple.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
10 Jun 2005 08:37 #171897 by Charles
I have done all of the variations a number of times. I think that the total vertical (counting all little ups and downs) is pretty comparable for both routes, but the Knapsack route is shorter and it does put you right into upper Spray Park where the skiing typically starts. I find the Spray Park trail, however, to be more relaxing to hike - just turn on the auto pilot and go - and cooler if it is a hot day. <br><br>I agree that if there is a lot of snow (ie typical June, starting from the gate) that the Knapsack route is great for both directions. You get your first turns, east side of Knapsack, well before noon, and there is continuous snow through the basin, over the shoulder of Mt. Pleasant, and into Spray Park (more turns). On the way back, it can be possible to ski all the way from Knapsack to Mowich Lake (though not usually by following the trail route all the way).<br><br>Once the gate opens, if the coverage on the west side of Knapsack looks decent from Mowich Lake (there's a peek-a-boo view from the road not long before the parking lot), I often choose to go in via Knapsack, knowing that there will be mostly snow from Knapsack into upper Spray Park. I don't usually try to ski/skin before reaching Knapsack. If the coverage doesn't look too good, I just hike the Spray Park trail.<br><br>On the way out, if the gate is open I never take the Knapsack route any more. I did that a couple of times and found it to be very tedious compared to just cruising the trail. Now that I know the beer trick, I will have to start checking the creek for free beer on the way out!

More
16 Jun 2005 06:20 #171914 by wolfs
Definitely no clear winner. I think it's easier to do the trail with tired knees at end of day, even with all the ups and downs. But I still sometimes go out Knapsack just to avoid the crowds of people you'd encounter on the trail (hell, even Knapsack has enough travelers that the last time I think I passed at least a dozen folks on the way out).<br>One plus to Knapsack is that especially early in the morning it is a much better place to look for wildlife, because you've got good open terrain and good vistas. Goats on Mother Mtn, marmots, eagles, deer, pika, bear etc. One minus is that the tread on the last half mile that's within the Park itself isn't that well defined, and I frequently lose it and feel guilty for inducing more thrashing on meadows that already have it hard enough, specially since I'm packing balky weight and not as able to tread light.