Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > 33" of new on Hood, 57" on Baker?

33" of new on Hood, 57" on Baker?

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
19 May 2005 06:47 - 20 May 2005 05:52 #171734 by Jeff Huber
I had a few free moments this morning so I added up the Total Precip. columns in NWAC Telemetry since Saturday. Here's what I got:<br><br>Day     MHM   Tline   Pdise  Baker<br>14th    0.27    0.35   0.57   0.35   (am only in archive)<br>15th    0.81    0.68   0.81   1.94<br>16th    0.08    0.63   0.16   0.57    <br>17th    0.83    0.59   0.27   0.05    <br>18th    0.88    0.81   0.82   1.69<br>19th 0.44 0.30 0.26 1.15    <br>
     <br>Total   3.31     3.36   2.89   5.75        <br><br><br>Edit to add: I found an intersting page on extrapolating snowdepth from WE here:<br>www.or.nrcs.usda.gov/Snow/about/swe.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2005 07:54 #171735 by sean
What have the snow levels been during that period in the North<br>Cascades? If they have been low it sounds like Baker would be the place to be this weekend.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
19 May 2005 08:31 #171736 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: 30&quot; of new on Hood, 46&quot; on Baker?
If you enjoy stumbling around in a whiteout, being snowed on, then yes, the north cascades are where it's at this weekend. ;)

More
19 May 2005 09:18 #171737 by sean
The weather forecasts seem to be changing fast in the Cascades. last time I checked the forecast for the weekend it was calling for sunshine and high freezing levels. Now its calling moisture and 4-6000 foot freezing levels. What can you do?

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
19 May 2005 10:19 - 19 May 2005 10:19 #171739 by andyski
You can go anyway, because if you don't, it will definitely be bluebird. ;D

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
19 May 2005 10:46 - 19 May 2005 11:55 #171740 by markharf

What have the snow levels been during that period in the North Cascades? If they have been low it sounds like Baker would be the place to be this weekend.

<br><br>Remember that four feet of fresh snow isn't necessarily much fun to ski, especially wet, spring storm snow; it just makes things dangerous, awkward and exhausting.  <br><br>As far as snow levels, it's always best to check the telemetry yourself and draw your own conclusions.  Charles has made that remarkably easy in the "Weather Links" section of this site.  My best guess is that, while there are surely feet (if not yards) of fresh snow at high elevations on Baker, it's certainly wind-blasted, scoured and in various respects all messed up.  Probably no more than a few inches fell within easy reach of the roads, although here again I'd recommend forming your own opinions, particularly about the phrases "a few inches," and "within easy reach."<br><br>This is going to be one of those unsettled weekends where you make your best wild guess, mumble pure, affirmative thoughts to yourself, and plunge ahead hoping for the best.  The lucky or skillful will have a blast; the rest of us will suffer mightily.  Fortunately, it's all skiing, and therefore vastly preferable to the alternatives.

More
19 May 2005 14:21 #171742 by sean
Andy your sure got a good point. Even if it was a bluebird day i'm not skilled enough to go on the glacier, but that has definatly been my experiance around Paridise this spring. I swear everytime this spring I think the conditions are not going to be worth the travel time I read on this site how the sun came out and the conditions were great.

More
19 May 2005 15:13 #171744 by Robie
Go with the "Force" and play in the rain shadow.<br>

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
20 May 2005 09:44 - 20 May 2005 09:53 #171746 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: 33&quot; of new on Hood, 57&quot; on Baker?
NWAC just issued this:<br><br>

<br>BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE FORECAST FOR THE OLYMPICS WASHINGTON <br>CASCADES AND MT HOOD AREA<br>NORTHWEST WEATHER AND AVALANCHE CENTER SEATTLE WASHINGTON<br>200 PM PDT FRI MAY 20 2005<br><br>...A REMINDER TO CLIMBERS AND SKIERS TO PAY ATTENTION TO SNOW <br>CONDITIONS AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS THROUGH THE WEEKEND...<br><br>Showery and cool weather the past 3 days has caused about 3 <br>inches of precipitation at Mt Baker and about 1-2 inches at Mt <br>Rainier and Mt Hood. Most of this precipitation has probably <br>fallen mostly as snow above about 6-7000 feet. This means that 1-<br>3 feet of recent snow is possible at higher elevations in the <br>Cascades and on the Cascade volcanoes especially Mt Baker.<br><br>Some more showers are occurring on Friday with low snow levels. A <br>relatively fair day is expected on Saturday. Increasing southwest <br>flow aloft should carry another front across the Northwest on <br>Saturday night. Clouds and showers should be seen mainly near and <br>west of the crest on Sunday with continued low snow levels.<br><br>This weather seems likely to continue to cause greater than usual <br>new snow accumulations above about 6-7000 feet in the Cascades <br>and especially the Cascade volcanoes such as Mt Baker. Sunshine <br>and solar effects through the weekend may warm and weaken the <br>recent snow, which may need little or no disturbance to slide. <br>Instability of this type can sometimes be assessed by pushing <br>snow onto test slopes. Remember that wet snow avalanches may <br>start slow and small but entrain snow as they descend or trigger <br>larger slab avalanches. <br><br>During past springs in the Northwest, several fatal accidents <br>have occurred from climbers or skiers releasing and being caught <br>in relatively small avalanches, which subsequently carried the <br>victims over cliffs or into moats or crevasses. Hence backcountry <br>travelers should try to be aware of terrain above and below <br>intended routes.<br><br>Please have a safe and enjoyable spring and summer! The NWAC <br>looks forward to serving you again next winter. No updates are <br>planned for this statement.<br>

<br><br>I'm looking at the 6 day totals to get the 57 and 33" figures

More
21 May 2005 11:53 #171748 by refried
I'm going to Baker on Sunday anyway,havn't ridden in 2 weeks and I need a fix.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 May 2005 01:57 #171751 by hyak.net
Driving over Chinook Pass yesterday around 5pm it was 34 degrees at the summit and snowing light. At the Cayuse Y it was 35 degrees and snowing light. Still around 3'-4' of snow up top of Chinook and a few skiers were seen. Plenty of snow to get some turns...<br><br>FYI...