Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > HELP! Injury-need input/support.

HELP! Injury-need input/support.

• Pinch
  • [Pinch]
More
26 Apr 2005 04:58 #171653 by Pinch
HELP! Injury-need input/support. was created by Pinch
I have recently injured my back; a disk protrusion of 8-10mm at L5/S1 lumbar disk is displacing the S1 nerve root. It has disabled me for 3 months now....I was hoping for input from those who may have gone through a similar experience. What had you done that was beneficial, how long to recovery, did you have surgery(what type), did you do all you could not to have surgery, are you symptom free now, if not what symptoms exist, when did you ski again, and anything else.....Sorry for the run-on! Obviously, the most important question is when did you ski again!!! I have been improving with many aspects of physical therapy, nutrition, and injury massage. But is is just wearing on me, and would love to have some cyber-support!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
26 Apr 2005 05:07 #171654 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby,<br><br>I know very little about the recovery from such injury, hopefully you will get some good responses from others, and certainly from you doctor. I have seen recently, should you resort to surgery, that they have now developed disc replacements. Something that I have wondered about for years, after hearing that for some back injuries in the lower back that troublesome disks are removed. I did not read deeply into the article, but it would seem to me that this replacement would offer essentially complete recovery.<br><br>All the best and good luck.<br><br>Alan

• peaceriver
  • [strider]
More
26 Apr 2005 09:15 - 26 Apr 2005 09:17 #171656 by peaceriver
Replied by peaceriver on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Och!! that's injury to be careful with, lots of variables involved  age, weight what activities you want to return to, risks you are willing to take. Being in the "medical Trades" I shopped long and hard before picking out the Ortho guy to replace my old narly hip with a new Striker "trident" hip!!! I am not risking cartwheeling tele turns, in breakable crust with a 40lb pack anymore, but am getting out to do pretty much what I want and need to do to keep sane and enjoy life.<br><br>Find a MD who shares or a least cares for patients with similar goals/values as yours and wants to see you return to your healthy lifestyle. I have heard and seen some great recoveries from my years at Harborview from injuries that  "impressed me" I have also seen backs that have got worse. Be careful, rehab, take your time follow the directions that the medical teams give you!!!<br> course it sounds like you are doing all that plus so I am just running on myself wish you luck!!<br><br>all IMHO<br><br>cw

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
26 Apr 2005 13:22 - 26 Apr 2005 13:38 #171659 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby, sorry to hear of your injury.  <br><br>I suffered a herniated L5/S1 disk with severe nerve impingement in August 2003.  After months of therapy and pain killers I was eventually worn down to the point that I was willing to go under the knife.<br><br>I had a microdiskectomy and laminectomy in April 2004.  Recuperated with 3 weeks away from work and an extensive walking and stretching program.<br><br>Took my first turns on skis in December 2004 and have been skiing strong all season.  Touring, it has turned out, is great for my spine!  The more I tour, the better my back feels, honestly.<br><br>I certainly didn't want to have surgery, but after eight months of literally no improvement and ever increasing dosages of pain medications I felt it was my best option.  For me, surgery was the right choice and I've been fortunate in having made a very nice recovery so far.<br><br>There are obvious risks with spinal surgery and I felt it was the "last option" after all others were exhausted.  Just sharing my personal experience and would certainly encourage you to follow the professional advice of your doctors in your treatment.<br><br>Send me a PM, I'd be happy to share more with you.

• Pinch
  • [Pinch]
More
26 Apr 2005 15:26 #171660 by Pinch
Replied by Pinch on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Thank you all for the replies so far, as well as the private messages. It is greatly appreciated. I would like to hear anyone elses story regarding non-surgical healing, (or more surgical cases.) The surgery presented to me is a microdiskectomy, as an outpatient procedure. But the surgeon isn't pushing me, and is encouraging me to wait. Disk replacement is a facinating achievement, Alan. Sadly, I may need a surgery like this later in life.....CW, I am happy to hear you are skiing and feeling well on a "new" hip, plus thanks for the advice....I look forward to learning more about your (previous!!) injury JibberD, I sent you a PM.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
26 Apr 2005 16:44 - 26 Apr 2005 16:46 #171661 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby, I can offer no advice or similar experiences, but I can offer support. You're injury sounds really awful. This is a good season to be injured though, the skiing in general has been poor and any TR that suggests it hasn't is likely embellishing a bit.<br><br>Best of luck with a swift recovery and keep us updated!<br><br>Jeff<br><br>PS: I believe Markharf has/had a serious back injury and he seems to get out a lot!

More
26 Apr 2005 16:45 #171662 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby, my whole skiing BC career was brought on by the same type of injury you have. I actually injured myself while skiing! I was overweight and not that good a skier.<br>my doc told me loose weight and exercise or go under the knife. Well it took me awhile and a whole lot of NFL level ibuprofin before I could even start exercising. I got into hiking and then back into downhill skiing then the whole telemark thing came into play.hiking and skiing along with strecthing and weights rebuilt my back. at age 58 I still have days when I feel brittle but I expect to get over that! Good luck and see you on the slopes.

More
27 Apr 2005 01:34 #171663 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby - My heart goes out to you, man. Fortunately (for me, at least), I can't say I've had any major back problems (knock wood), so I can't offer any first hand experience and wisdom, but you certainly have my sympathy and support. I can also offer you some nice, slow, geezerly paced touring partners to go out with when you're back on the mend :)

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
28 Apr 2005 03:27 #171666 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby, this is from Jeff Haddox:<br><br>Toby,<br>Sorry to hear about your injury. I injured myself one month ago, herniated the disc between L4 & L5. I had been experiancing some minor pain for a few weeks then I was running one afternoon and within three steps went from minor to major pain. I was Two miles into a six mile trail run and had to hoble back the Two miles. I'm sure this did not help. Tim and the rest of the gang are probably getting tired of hearing me preach but I feel practicing yoga not only limited the extent of the injury but has also helped the healing process. My doc had an MRI and x-ray done to confirm the problem. He perscribed ibuprofen for inflamation and vicoden for pain. I've not had to use much of the latter. He felt the yoga would help as long as there was minemal pain associated with it. I have my bike set up on a mag trainer and have been doing that 50 minutes a day plus 20 minutes of yoga. I am able to ski. I stay away from any jarring impacts or any thing that requires bending/lifting movements. I still experiance discomfort but it is improving. The doc said it could take as long as a year to heal completely. He also mentioned the possibility of a surgical procedure, but at this time I don't think this will be necessary. For what it's worth, my advice would be to try and do somthing to improve or keep your fitness level up and be cautious. It really sucks to be laying flat on your back stoned on vicoden when all your friends are out skiing. Good luck.<br> Jeff <br>

• ATjeff_h
  • [ATjeff_h]
More
28 Apr 2005 13:18 #171668 by ATjeff_h
Replied by ATjeff_h on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby<br>One thing I forgot to mention in my reply to you via Tim, Glucosamine Sulfate. 1500 mg a day. I started this two years ago after a knee injury. My doctor recomended this based on a study done in Europe that had positive results. It has helped me.

More
28 Apr 2005 14:43 #171669 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
And one thing I forgot and is the most important.<br>go out and BUY SOME NEW EQUIPMENT!Boots skis skins almost anything will do.

• Pinch
  • [Pinch]
More
28 Apr 2005 16:58 - 28 Apr 2005 17:00 #171670 by Pinch
It really does ease the mind to hear first hand accounts of recovery(ing) from people who enjoy the same things I do....Robie and Jeff Haddox, hearing that you ski as you recover is great news. I have been told activity is encouraged, but have been wondering what the limit is? (meaning to ski or not to ski) I have been walking and regaining my full range of motion, albeit painful at end range(s). Yoga has been great for the pain process and loosening things up. (my hamstrings/buttock are like tight ropes/knots) And I may have the tightest ass in Whatcom County!!!! Jeff might take Skagit!! I spend all day, every day, on core strength, cardio, stretching, yoga, nutrition, supplements (natural cox 2 inhibitors, glucosamine, omega 3/6/9 oils) traction, ultra-sound, soft-tissue work, proper bending, ect......Some of you may like to hear that as you age,(over50), the nucleus of our disks becomes harder and is less likely to push out through the ligament rings. But proper bending, just like a weight lifter sets up, even for the stupidest dropped object (tissue) can save the back....I am sorry to hear about your injury as well, Jeff. Do you think the original injury was during a bend/lift? Maybe we can get out and gimp around together here in the near future! Thanks for the replies. Toby.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
29 Apr 2005 12:40 #171671 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Toby, I think the only way to know for sure of skiing is a reasonable activity for you is to try it (eventually). But I'd definitely do it in an environment where you're in control of your commitment. That is, with small ambitions and the willingness to bail if things aren't feeling good. You'll know you've got good friends if they're willing to go out with you fully understanding your situation.<br><br>I started skiing again after I could jog three miles with no pain in my back. I figured that if it hurt jogging, it would probably hurt skiing.<br><br>You're probably wondering if you could herniate the disk more? Ask your doctors what they think.<br><br>If your inner voice is telling you that skiing seems a little extreme right now...well, then there's your answer.<br><br>I gave up jumping in my mid-20's, but still enjoy a good, clean mogul run. I try not to fall and attempt to ski smoothly... (see JW's upcoming video "Crashes and Bloopers 2005")??? It's just an added factor to the skiing experience, but I realize that most skiers have some sort of physical ailment, whether it's a blown out knee, a troubled heart or some other issue. So we're in good company!

• Pinch
  • [Pinch]
More
02 May 2005 11:42 #171672 by Pinch

You'll know you've got good friends if they're willing to go out with you fully understanding your situation.

<br>Ah yes, MattC has offered to pull me up on a plastic sled, while I use my thumbs to turn! Is this what you mean? Seriously though, I am looking forward to the day.....Does anyone have input on the degression of the symptoms in the hamstrings and butt. Did it take on a pattern, or start feeling different (more like a muscle sprain/pull)? This is what I am experiencing, along with a very strained and uncomfortable straight leg raise, Extensions are also painful. Also, what was the last symptom(s) to go? Thanks for any input.

More
04 May 2005 14:28 - 04 May 2005 15:01 #171674 by Matt C
Replied by Matt C on topic Re: HELP! Injury-need input/support.
Glad to hear you are improving Toby!!! And my offer still stands if you need someone to drag your TIGHT ASS up the slopes!!! <br><br>I injured my hip in a car accident many years ago and was forced to take most of the ski season off. The one thing that kept me sane was positive thinking. And I know you got tons of that. I'm lookin forward to some fresh turns, cold beers and hot tacos with ya!!!<br><br>Edited to Add: <br><br>I hear you are still looking for some info:<br><br>-input on the degression of the symptoms in the hamstrings and butt. <br>-Did it take on a pattern, or start feeling different (more like a muscle sprain/pull)? This is what I am experiencing, along with a very strained and uncomfortable straight leg raise, Extensions are also painful.<br>-what was the last symptom(s) to go?

• Pinch
  • [Pinch]
More
05 May 2005 11:49 #171675 by Pinch
Matt, you could flick dimes off this sucker!!... I have received PM's from some very informative people regarding the symptoms. Thank you....Toby.