Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Chinook Pass Guess

Chinook Pass Guess

• Gib
  • [Gib-WSDOT]
More
25 Apr 2005 01:15 #171642 by Gib
Chinook Pass Guess was created by Gib
I got asked for best guess on Chinook opening so I'll take a swing. Weather is in charge as usual, fairly large avalanches released last week with explosives and re-buried the road for about 1/4 mile average 8'-10' deep on the east side of the pass. Also EZ to ski-trigger wet loose slides that got quite large entraining most of the remaining snow in the paths. The good news is most of the hazard taken care of and crews should get the road cleared again this week. You can never tell what DOT management will do, especially as it is still fairly early and it can snow plenty in May (Gotta hope so!). If they open it, then they have to provide snow and rock patrols, and weekend coverage. Now I'm getting too long winded, so the wild guess is that they will open Thursday 4/28 or Friday 4/29 unless the weather forecast looks like more snow coming. If it does open, please be careful about triggering slides on slopes above the road, especially west Yakima Peak and knobs east of the pass. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2005 01:43 #171643 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Chinook Pass Guess
Thanks, Gib, good info.<br>We appreciate it.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Apr 2005 04:30 #171647 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Chinook Pass Guess

I got asked for best guess on Chinook opening so I'll take a swing. Weather is in charge as usual, fairly large avalanches released last week with explosives and re-buried the road for about 1/4 mile average 8'-10' deep on the east side of the pass. Also EZ to ski-trigger wet loose slides that got quite large entraining most of the remaining snow in the paths. The good news is most of the hazard taken care of and crews should get the road cleared again this week. You can never tell what DOT management will do, especially as it is still fairly early and it can snow plenty in May (Gotta hope so!). If they open it, then they have to provide snow and rock patrols, and weekend coverage. Now I'm getting too long winded, so the wild guess is that they will open Thursday 4/28 or Friday 4/29 unless the weather forecast looks like more snow coming. If it does open, please be careful about triggering slides on slopes above the road, especially west Yakima Peak and knobs east of the pass. Thanks.

<br><br><br>Thanks for the reply!!!

More
25 Apr 2005 07:17 #171648 by RG
Replied by RG on topic Re: Chinook Pass Guess
I would lay my bet on Thursday the 28th. ;)

More
28 Apr 2005 08:56 #171667 by RG
Replied by RG on topic Re: Chinook Pass Guess
News Update: <br>April 27, 2005<br><br>Chinook Pass will open for the season to passenger car and bicycle traffic on Thursday, April 28, at noon.<br><br> 8)