Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Got Gmail??

Got Gmail??

• ron j
  • [ron_j]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Apr 2005 01:20 #171443 by ron j
Got Gmail?? was created by ron j
Does everyone have their Gmail account that wants one?<br>I just checked and I have only 50 invites left to give out ???.<br>The news this morning announced that they went to two gigs of free storage (article appended below). Also last time I checked you could send files up to 10 megs in size.<br>Google has also had some negative press, mostly folks accusing them of gathering personal data for their own [presumably, business] use. Weather that's true on not I don't know and could care less; I don't store my address book on their site or send sensitive personal info via email. <br>Nonetheless, two gigs of free storage and the ability to email 10 meg files for free seems like a good price to me.<br>Send me you email addy (via the link to the left) if you'd like to receive an invitation.<br><br>Apr 1, 8:15 AM EST<br><br>Google Doubles E-Mail Space <br><br>By MATTHEW FORDAHL<br>AP Technology Writer<br> <br>SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- A year after unveiling a free e-mail service with a full gigabyte of storage, Google Inc. is doubling the capacity of each account and plans to keep bumping up the limit in the future.<br><br>Once the upgrade takes effect Friday, Gmail users will be able to store up to 2 gigabytes of e-mail and attachments for each account. Even more capacity will be made available after that as it becomes feasible, the company said.<br><br>"Our goal is to make sure storage is no longer an issue for Web mail users," said Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer Web products.<br><br>The announcement was made on the first anniversary of the Internet search engine's launch of Gmail, which surprised many users with its generous storage allotment and prompted rivals Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp. to boost the capacity of their own free Web mail services.<br> <br>Just last week, Yahoo Inc. said it would offer 1 gigabyte of storage to users of its free service. When Google introduced Gmail, Yahoo was providing just 4 megabytes of storage. Microsoft Corp.'s Hotmail now offers 250 megabytes, up from 2 megabytes at Gmail's launch.<br><br>Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are in a tight race to get their services on the world's computer desktops. In recent months, each has launched utilities to help people find information stored on a PC, block popup ads, conduct Internet searches and provide other features.<br><br>Mayer said Mountain View-based Google can offer so much capacity because of the way the company has set up its computer systems. She declined to provide any more detail.<br><br>But even after a year, Gmail remains available only to those who have been invited by existing users. In recent months, Google has made more invitations available, but it's still officially a beta - or test - offering.<br><br>Mayer declined to say when that status might change. The search company intends to always offer a free version, though she said fee-based options are a possibility.<br><br>---<br><br>On the Net:<br><br>Gmail: www.gmail.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2005 02:40 #171444 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Re: Got Gmail??

I don't store my address book on their site or send sensitive personal info via email.  <br>

<br><br>What about emails about those secret powder stashes? Wouldn't that be very sensitive information? ;D<br>

• ron j
  • [ron_j]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Apr 2005 03:47 #171445 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Got Gmail??
:) Naw, I publish those online ;)

More
01 Apr 2005 04:23 #171446 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Got Gmail??

Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are in a tight race to get their services on the world's computer desktops.

<br><br>I've got all three . . . does that mean anything? FWIW, the Gmail interface is a little non-intuitive, but you gotta love the amount of space they give you!

More
05 Apr 2005 11:40 #171470 by ricardo
Replied by ricardo on topic Re: Got Gmail??
I just came across these links and thought I'd add it to your thread.<br><br>Wired News arcticle (2pages): www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,67062,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3

Electronic Privacy Information Center's view of GMail: www.epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html

What I don't like is that they scan all email's to and from GM addresses. you sign a consent when you sign up for GM but not when you send an email to a GM account.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
05 Apr 2005 11:58 #171471 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Got Gmail??
Nothing is truly secure. I have no qualms about using Gmail.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Apr 2005 12:54 #171472 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Got Gmail??

Nothing is truly secure. I have no qualms about using Gmail.

<br><br><br>Any email service on the net now can be scanned at any time by those who run the thing (hotmail, excite, etc...). I also have no problems with using gmail (not like I have anything to hide anyway). At least I don't have to surf through the pop-up's or flashing ad's....!!!